"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"

Favorite early exploitation kungfu:
    "Dance of Death" - Angela Mao

Favorite Jet Li movie:
    "The Legend"

Favorite 'action' movies:
    "Terminator 2 - Judgement Day"
    "True Lies"

Least favorite Shaw Brothers movie that has been released in America under at least 10 different titles and it STILL sux:
    - That one where the opening scene is the old master nearly getting his a$$ kicked by hoods, then sending his pupil to study with his rival (even though the hero doesn't want to leave the beauteous Ling-Ling), and eventually the hero winning top prize at this huge colosseum-type martial arts tournament. I don't care what title they give this one, it still blows chunx. I'm tired of being suckered in at Blockbusters by this one.

Worst kungfu movie of all time:
    "Bruce Lee in New Guinea" - starring the indescribable Bruce Li. Admittedly, this movie does have the camp chuckle factor of the savage tribal princess hobbling across a volcanic landscape in her 5-inch dominatrix platform boots, Lee Press-on nails, and faux cheetahskin bikini. But that's it.

I'm sure I will revise this list over the years
    Last edited by JasBourne; 01-05-2002 at 11:18 AM.
    Nolite irasci, aequiperate.

Osama Bin Laden's propaganda video..
    I especially like the music in it.

ARRRGH! You dissed "Iron Palm" aka "King Boxer" aka "Five Fingers of Death" Now? We must battle!

Seriously, the one Jasbourne described a couple posts back is one of my all time favorites! What's not to like? The cheesey 'glowing palm' special effects and theramin music when Lieh Lo starts using his Iron Palm skill? The battle where he's duelling a samurai and catches the katana between his palms then breaks it with his bare hands? The minor villain who headbutts trees into firewood? Lieh Lo playing a hero for like, the only time ever?

That one's almost as good as "Mad Monkey Kungfu" "Master Killer" or "Deadly Venoms"! Or later Sammo/Jackie/Yuen/Beardy era flicks like "Magnificent Butcher" "Odd Couple" "The Victim" and "Knockabout."

We can't be friends anymore Jasbourne. I'll miss you.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Kung Lek----Raiders of Buddhist Kung Fu!? I will admit, Gordon Liu's kung fu is good, but come on, when the guy's holding the stuffed bird up to his face, pretending that it's attacking him ?!

Some of my picks:

Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn rules!)
    Scaramouche (1950's) (longest sword fight in screen history--well, maybe not including Hong Kong)
    The Flame and the Arrow (1950's, Burt Lancaster was a former circus acrobat, and he was just about on par with Jackie C, doing all of his own stunts.)
    The Searchers
    Shane
    Yojimbo
    Magnificent Seven
    Jason and the Argonauts (gotta love swordfighting skeletons!)
    Man With the Golden Gun
    You Only Live Twice
    Touch of Zen
    Fate of Lee Khan
    Shaolin Master Killer
    Last Hurrah for Chivalry
    Star Wars Trilogy
    Krull
    Avenging Eagle
    Moon Warriors
    Once Upon a Time in China 1
    Drunken Master II
    Peace Hotel
    Goldeneye
    13th Warrior
    Star Wars-Ep.1
    Lord of the Rings
    Last edited by Ky-Fi; 01-05-2002 at 02:07 PM.

Yes, that's the one - "King Boxer", "Five Fingers of Death", etc etc etc! That's the very one!!

Chang, I'll admit, it wasn't so bad the first time (although I did think Lieh Lo acted like there was excess starch in his shorts), and not even the second time, and the katana bit was good. But when me and the honey went and rented 3 videos, and 2 of them were the EXACT SAME MOVIE we'd seen the week earlier, well sir, it went *thud* to the bottom of the pile.

I'm sorry we can't be buddies anymore. Want a cookie?
    Nolite irasci, aequiperate.

The constant retitling of some movies sure is annoying. That can't be denied. It must especially suck to end up with the same movie twice in one rentspree. I guess I should be more tolerant, considering the circumstances.

Okay, I'll take the cookie. Mmmm...walnuts. Do you have enough chips? Can you reach the salsa?

A few more actiony good ones -

"Excalibur"
    "The Man Who Would Be King"
    "Dragons Forever" (IMH(umble)O, the greatest Kungfu picture ever made)
    "Operation Scorpio"
    "Blade" (better than the Matrix, IMH(eretical)O)
    "Big Trouble in Little China"
    "The Thing" (80s version)
    "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension"
    "Ravenous"
    "Day of the Dead"

ummm...it looks like I've veered off into horror movies. Well, they have good action, too!

And for a story that may as well be ripped from the pages of Sun Tzu's "Art of War" and Machiavelli's "The Prince" - only there isn't much action, one of my favorite movies ever.

"Fresh"

Seriously, this is a great, great, but underseen movie. That kid...I'm just sayin', that kid....hoo!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Best Martial Arts Movies on Amazon Prime Right Now

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Best Martial Arts Movies on Netflix Right Now

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart