Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Li Lian Jie (Jet Li)

Earth Dragon...

thanx anyway, it was considerate of you to even reply.

"Dragons of the Orient"? I dont think they would have that everywhere....any place specifically where it can be purchased?

I wish Jet Li would hurry up and write a biography......

Tae Li
    The difference lies in you.

"I understand now that fear is a normal reaction of the Human Body, so why fight it? Accept being afraid, but dont let it hold you back, keep moving forward and the light will shine at the end of the tunnel"
    -Tae Li.

Try to order it at media play, I have seen the translated version there in DVD. or surf the net like netflix.com or some video sites you should find it you will love the movie...
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

"Yeah but can Jet Li blah blah blah?" Please....once you've been national champion of China 5 times, then maybe we can talk about Jet's skill. Once you make a movie that grosses over 40 million on opening weekend, then we can talk about how poor his movies are to yours. Don't be jealous of Jet just because he has done things you never will.

Methinks all this "fame bashing" would be better directed at other pursuits. Maybe I'm a little defensive because I'm a huge Jet mark myself, but why not bash someone who deserves it like Steven Seagal? Seriously...or Ralek.
    "I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!

You go big bro!! And why don't you all just ASK Jet to prove if he can fight. I would pay lots of money to see that one!!!!! He's awesome all around. Who cares if his english isnt the best, or his movies are kinda off the wall......I agree with Silum, you just are jealous because you will never be that cool!!
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

Ah, wushu chik....I appreciate the sentiment but do you really think Jet would bother risking his career on a nobody? I'd expect the same thing if it was me...Jet's people would laugh and ask me to move along because they have better things to spend time on.

And as far this thread is concerned, so do I (no offense to the thread starter).
    "I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!

Silumkid......

Well, Im glad your a Jet Li fan, but he cant be too important in your opinionconsidering you are not going to waste your time on this thread....no offense taken...Good for you, now be on your way, I aint wasting anymore time on you.

"I understand now that fear is a normal reaction of the Human Body, so why fight it? Accept being afraid, but dont let it hold you back, keep moving forward and the light will shine at the end of the tunnel"
    -Tae Li.

"you just are jealous because you will never be that cool!!"

You've got me there.... wushu champion 5 times in a row. wow. good stuff. fantastic movies, great you've convinced me, no really you have

Suncoast Video

Ive seen copies of it at my local Suncoast Video.
    " A hero lives but a few seconds..............A master holds on to his life "

I got into an argument with someone today, and i would love to know why do people keep comparing Jet Li with Bruce Lee? its simply stupid. I mean, they are from two different times, fight two different styles and are simply two different people!

God, let Lee rest in peace already! And give Jet Li a break.....I think he is doing remarkably well considering the high expectations that all his martial art fans have of martial art films.

Tae Li

-Tae Li.

For the record

Yes Jet Li is trained in Wu-shu, yes wu-shu is more a performance art than a combat one. BUT!
    Jet was trained by some of the BEST in wushu and many of them ARE also traditional artists and know full well the application of good kung fu as well as how to change it for performance.
    As a result of being so highly skilled and motivated he was taught by many different sifu and many of them also taught him proper application. It may not have been his focus but still... he was trained by many of the best martial artists in China. I come from a good school i certainly wouldnt pick him.
    We really have to face facts here guys...
    He is good looking [im not great at telling other men but its kinda obvious], he's not built like a tank and he moves with the grace of a dancer and the power of a boxer. This simply doesnt sit well with most of us. If he was big American ugly, slow and stupid would we still have these issues with his 'real' martial arts.
    There is also certainly something there in his movement beyond simply waving his arms. I would venture to say Jet actualy has quite a decent amount of internal power as well as his external movements.

Tae Li
    Bagua and Xingyi are both internal styles that use internal power and there both VERY high level systems.
    The reason for the fight between the two styles being of so much interest is dispite being both internal the two styles theory and application are nearly opposite.
    Bagua is known for its use of circlular footwork, palm attacks and its abilty to difuse force though circlular hand movements.
    Xingyi skills on the other hand reside in strait line movement, body angle and fist attacks.
    It should be a very interesting match up...
    Would have been even more interesting if some PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD HAD NOT RUINED IT FOR ME grrrrrr.
    Anyway hope that was of a little use to you.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Jet Li rocks, period. That whole scene on a ladder in Once Upon a Time in China, was just cool
    "I drank what?!?" --Socrates

Re: For the record

Originally posted by jon
    As a result of being so highly skilled and motivated he was taught by many different sifu and many of them also taught him proper application. It may not have been his focus but still... he was trained by many of the best martial artists in China. I come from a good school i certainly wouldnt pick him.
    We really have to face facts here guys...
    He is good looking [im not great at telling other men but its kinda obvious], he's not built like a tank and he moves with the grace of a dancer and the power of a boxer. This simply doesnt sit well with most of us. If he was big American ugly, slow and stupid would we still have these issues with his 'real' martial arts.
    There is also certainly something there in his movement beyond simply waving his arms. I would venture to say Jet actualy has quite a decent amount of internal power as well as his external movements.

I second that.

This internal-external business is really interesting, but Jet says that it can takeup to ten years to grasp properly...this amount of time sort of discourages you to even begin.

-Tae Li.

haha

Tae Li
    You may not realise it yet but with the training you already have your half way there. He is perfectly correct it can take a LONG time to get good internal power but thankfully you also get results for the whole journey. TKD is not an internal art and doesnt deal in chi but it does deal in movement and breathing and these are the two fundaments for internal work.
    Tai Chi, Bagua and Xingyi are the three famous internal styles.
    If you want to learn a bit about internal arts they can often be a good cross train as they teach you about body movement and energy before going to hard into fighting. With your tkd experience you can already fight so that energy is just going to add directly to your power.
    If you can remember the old man that taught me Tai Chi in the local park? REALLY old, no teeth left and couldnt speak a word of english. Yet moved like a cat, stood up with better posture than i do and never once lost his composure, even getting into an argument with another sifu over teaching a non chinese[me]. He was truely a master of himself in every way.
    He had excerlent internal energie it was litteraly keeping him alive! I still sometimes see him in Auburn and he always gives me a great smile. Ill bet he is still walking around like that when im fifty.
    You may also rememeber the lady i learnt weapons off? also old and grey but moved with the energy of a small child. That women in her 60's used to put me to shame in terms of fitness and stance.
    These are great examples of what internal work can do for you.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Re: haha

Originally posted by jon

If you can remember the old man that taught me Tai Chi in the local park? REALLY old, no teeth left and couldnt speak a word of english. Yet moved like a cat, stood up with better posture than i do and never once lost his composure, even getting into an argument with another sifu over teaching a non chinese[me]. He was truely a master of himself in every way.
    He had excerlent internal energie it was litteraly keeping him alive! I still sometimes see him in Auburn and he always gives me a great smile. Ill bet he is still walking around like that when im fifty.
    You may also rememeber the lady i learnt weapons off? also old and grey but moved with the energy of a small child. That women in her 60's used to put me to shame in terms of fitness and stance.
    These are great examples of what internal work can do for you.
    I remember!!!!!! May I also add that he taught BOTH OF US that Tai Chi form (by the way, I was too afraid to tell you then, but I accidently stepped on your pack of cigerettes during one of those lessons...sorry!!)

I still know the form, but not ALL of it, and yes i still see him around Auburn and Flemington martkets. He REMEMEBERS ME!! I used to always greet him (and his circle of friends) with "Ni hao ma" and just by saying that, he will always remember.

Now I know exactly what your talking about when talking about internal and external energy just by bringing up these examples. My Tai Chi teacher at school used to always say that it comes from the centre of your body and by practsing Tai Chi forms, you circulated chi around you.....

I sort of get it. Really? Im half way there just by doing five years of Taekwondo? wow, thats cool and I didnt even know. Well, I meditate, I know abit of Tai Chi and im a taekwondo freak so I guess thats ok huh?

That lady at the park taught the sword forms AND the fan from what I remember when I used to sit down and watch you..those were the good old days.

Tae Li

-Tae Li.

Tae Li

"May I also add that he taught BOTH OF US that Tai Chi form"
    opps my bad, of course you learnt as well. Im just pretending the worlds all about me
    "That lady at the park taught the sword forms AND the fan from what I remember when I used to sit down and watch you..those were the good old days."
    Yeah i picked up both the strait sword and the fan from her. She was awesome, full of energie and just loved to do the art.
    I REALLY miss her, she had to stop comming in the mournings when her daughter had her baby becouse she needed to help her daughter.
    Ive still got a picture of her and i know she took a few of me which her daughter told me she was sending back to her sifu! lol scary stuff.
    Chi is best off experienced as opposed to explained but ill do my best. Your body is made of meat and water litteraly... What makes it actualy WORK, pump blood breath and feel sensation is a type of energy. We in the west just call it that energy, chinese have a more exact discription which is more akin to 'lifeforce'. Its actualy possible to build this energy to the point of where it can be used for fighting and healing.
    Its not magic but its hard to discribe using basic science. Just as basic science has a hard time discribing exactly why we breath and pump blood in the first place. Think of your body containing a type of battery which can be recharged, undercharged even expanded in terms of holding power. Sounds complicated and it can be, ill try and explain better in person sometime its much easyer than text.

- Huang Kai Vun