Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aikido film - Hiroshi Isoyama, 8th Dan, Aikikai

Aikido film - Hiroshi Isoyama, 8th Dan, Aikikai

http://www.aikidojournal.com/Video/Isoyama_1983.asp

A demostration video. Not a fight video .

Enjoy!

Thumbs up A lot better...

This one's a lot better than most Aikido Demos. The attacker is actually striking versus just sticking his arm out. The demonstrater looks like a bad@ss with the way he's just stalking the other guy!

that was a cool.

They didn't do my favorite move though, the one where the attacker comes running up from 10 feet away and grabs the defenders wrist. haha.

That was awsome!
    Be at peace first with your self then you can be at peace with others.

Thumbs up

Very good
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

pretty cool but I am seeing the same problem I have always seen with aikido. Nobody attacks like that!! Rush in and one strike with downward hammer fist and other hand not in a decent defensive posture. And thast's the attack I've seen practiced most often. True have not done any serious study but I have worked out with a number of aikidoka and studied for a few months til I came up with the same conundrum. Nobody attacks like that!!

I would love to see a demonstration of aikido against different systems attacks. Not style vs. style fighting but just against people who actually know how to attack. Watching students of a primarily defensive art attack their sensei always makes me chuckle. I've worked with aikidoka and the good ones do make their stuff work against basic jabs, crosses and hooks but every time I see a demonstration it just looks so hokey and staged.

In all fairness, that video was better than most and he was pretty impressive.

The attack he is using is called yokomenuchi...a diagonal strike cutting at the temple to the far side of the jaw.

This is an abstraction of an common method of attack, usually involving a blunt instrument such as a club, bottle, or chair (or a sword back in the old days).

Aikidoīs defenses are great.
    When it comes to weapons,it often does not even matter what your opponent is holding (may it be a knife,bottle,stick...) or a plain fist/swordhand.
    When you learn how to blend with energies,it does not matter what your opponent does,you just go with the flow.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Last edited by truewrestler; 01-04-2002 at 12:22 PM.

wow, i love kung fu movies. Have you guys seen Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or Rush Hour 2? ...those have some realistic fighting too

Wow, what took you so long tw?

Has anyone seen a fight with an aikido practitioner? I mean these demos are cool and all but....

any real video available...? Don't aikido guys spar to learn timing etc? any video of that?

These area couple of pretty good vid clips as well that I liked:

http://www.aikidojournal.com/wmedia/PatHen.wmv

http://www.aikidojournal.com/wmedia/RobMust.wmv

Unfortunately, some of the best clips are locked to non-members (sorry, I can't give out my password ).