Thread: people who hang on in chi sau?

Question people who hang on in chi sau?

Hi there, been absolutely ages since I posted, but I have been reading what's being posted from time to time.
    My question concerns my chi sau practise.
    I realise we should be soft while doing it as it helps to feel the others moves more, but when you are up against a person who tends to hang all their weight on you ( normally in defensive mode [tan bong]) how do you deal with it? Sometimes I let myself go completely and let the person fall forwards into me while I step back, but after you do the same thing repeatedly to the same person it can get tedious.(maybe my own impatience, but even when I warn them I will do it, some people still hang down on me.)
    So, I was wondering if anyone else has other ways of dealing with this problem?
    May all beings live in peace and harmony,
    May all beings live wisely,
    May all beings be enlightened.

circle around their arm (huen sau) and clock them.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Hello
    there are many ways to deal with your problem,but I belive the bigest problem is, they are geting you to stiffen up, you must strike as soon as there load gets to heavy,beacuse if you dont there weight will cause you to get heavyer in return.
    I do not belive you should try to match there load,SLAP them as there load starts to build, and then tell them why, if you move as thay start,thay cant feel you move,and point it out to them, after all istn that the hole point of chi sao(to feel and react?)
    Good luck. C.A.G.

Thanx guys, given me something to think about there
    I'll try it tonight, the huen sau, is that inside or outside, with the tan or bong..thinking about it without trying it ....wouldn't their fook stop you from doing it with the tan?
    I'll try tonight anyway , and thanx again

I agree with the above comments: once you feel them starting to shift their weight on to you, redirect that and hit them. Or you can move out of the way, let them stagger forward and then clock them.

if you're in tan or bong and the pressure is pushing you down, circle around the outside. however, if they're also pressing forward too stiffly, simply lop and turn and throw them off balance, punching them as they fall forward.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

when you are up against a person who tends to hang all their weight on you .....how do you deal with it?
    Depends which way the force is going, if its going down (commited) just let the force go and strike.
    If its un commited and focused at you, then the guy is better skill and hes most probably just having fun

To over come this work on your structure, this way if he presses (ie tences up) his own pressing will push him self lighter off the ground and make it easier to unbalance hm (ie control) then you can do what you like (strike??).
    By making himself lighter i mean similar to when you stand on a set of scalles then press down on a bench the scales go lighter, so he's easy to move around.

So to sumarise, work on your SLT...relaxed, linked, focused.
    S.Teebas

If your opponent is not controlling their energy, its the perfect opportunity for you to control it!

Pressing down on your tan/bong? Don't hold up his weight, huen sao and strike, or lop down and strike. Let your opponent tell you where he wants to go, then help him get there!

Nolite irasci, aequiperate.

Thumbs up thank-you

more sound advice for me to try
    i tried the huen sau move, but as with all things, it takes me forever to get moves
    i can sort of see how it works though what i was trying before was just dropping my hand and coming over the top in a wide kinda shoulder circle movement(please don't ask me why, just seemed like a good idea)....so the huen sau is loads quicker
    i'll try working on the other stuff as well next time I practise
    thanx again guys.
    Last edited by harry_the_monk; 01-05-2002 at 07:18 PM.