Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Savate

that made up for the flexy friend clip. whats the difference in rules with savate and muay thai? i could see the shoes and no knees and elbows saw some good chances for knees to the head in there also whats up with street style vs ring style?

Quote Originally Posted by stricker
    that made up for the flexy friend clip. whats the difference in rules with savate and muay thai? i could see the shoes and no knees and elbows saw some good chances for knees to the head in there also whats up with street style vs ring style?
    Article IV:

There are four categories of hits:

1. Category of "coups de pieds bas"
    These are kicks given with the back leg, with the internal border of the foot in extension, on the opponent's front leg or the back leg, under the knee. The are given with a scaling motion (around the transversal axis of the hips.) This allows the throwing of the leg.
    This motion can be given in the vertical plan: Coup de pied bas de frappe
    This motion can be also given in the lateral plan exterior toward interior) Coups de pieds bas de desequilibre.

2. Category of "coups de pieds chasses"
    Given with the front or back leg. In the "basse", "mediane" or "haute" line., with the heel of the foot in a straight trajectory. using the "piston" motion. The characteristic position is often refereed as "Groupe-Chasse"
    There are 2 main categories of Chasse:
    "Chasse lateral" with the hips positioned side way.
    "Chasse Frontal" with the hips positioned parallel to the opponent.

3. Category of coups de pieds fouettes"
    Given with the front or the back leg. in the 3 line (basse, mediane, haute), with the tip of the foot in extension. The movement goes through a position called "Fouet" (whip). The characteristic position is often referred as "groupe-foutte". The final trajectory of the hit must be
    -On an horizontal plan for the "mediane" line.
    -On the upper oblique plan for the "haute" line.
    -On the lower oblique plan for the "basse" line.

4. Category of "coup de pieds en revers"
    Given with the front or the back leg using:

-The sole of the foot for the "Revers lateral".
    -The external slice of the foot for the "Revers frontal"

There are 2 categories of revers:

-Frontal and Lateral. This is given in a "scale" motion of the hitting leg crossing the support leg from the inside to the outside.

-Revers fouettes:
    -Using the method of the "Jambe Tendue"
    -Using an aim similar to the groupe chasse, and which is given by a movement of "Piston" and ending with a flexion of the leg. This movement is often referred as "Groupe".

Article V:

Punches are given according to the regulation of English Boxing. Metacarpal area of all fingers are to be used.

There are 4 category of punches:

1. Directs
    They are punches given in "direct frontal throw" (jete direct frontal) given in the horizontal plane in a straight trajectory. They are given in the Face, facial area, and frontal and lateral area of the body (corps). They are given with the front arm or the back arm.

2. Crochets
    They are punches given in "direct lateral throw" (jete direct lateral) in a circular motion on the horizontal plan. They are given in the Face, facial area, and frontal and lateral area of the body (corps). They are given with the front arm or the back arm.

3. Uppercuts
    They are punches given in "direct frontal throw" (jete direct frontal) they are given in the vertical plan in a straight line.They are given in the Face, facial area, and frontal and lateral area of the body (corps). They are given with the front arm or the back arm.

4. Swings
    They are punches given in "lateral throw" (balance lateral). They are given in an oblique plan in a circular motion.They are given in the Face, facial area, and frontal and lateral area of the body (corps). They are given with the front arm or the back arm.

-------
    History:
    SAVATE DEFENSE : The Original (Genesis)

With the development of Savate Defense, we return to the source and even origin of Savate (Boxe Francaise). Contrary to the sport of Savate BF where the strikes are codified within a set of rules, original savate did not encompass any limitations on techniques. In order to survive a physical confrontation, efficiency and total brutality was the goal in order to incapacitate the aggressor and survive relatively intact. Projections, sweeps, eye gouging, groin strikes, and low line kicks were the essence of this reality based fighting system.

Modern Day:
    It is difficult to retrace the exact origins of savate and one cannot say with absolute conviction if it is a result of a mix of styles between Lutte Parisienne and Chausson Marseillais. We know that these styles were used and were written about in documents that proclaim its efficiency in a street fight, particularly the ones in the second half of the 18th century that relate to the exploits of a street fighter turned policeman, the legendary Fran‡ois Vidocq (1775-1857).

Many master savatiers taught the art of savate to people who are now historical figures. A great writer in French literature such as Th‚ophile Gautier was the student of Louis Leboucher. Alexandre Dumas practiced with Master Charles Lecour. Leboucher and Lecour stayed very close to the origin in their teaching methods of savate defense integrating lethal strikes, projections and grappling holds. The era of Charlemont was to begin; he codified, popularized and pioneered savate boxe francaise so that it became a sport fighting system that incorporated only strikes and sweeps.

Hope you like the read.

Best,
    Kenton

Props to savatekickboxing Canada for lots of info on the sport.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Hey E,

Gotta love the Old Shoe stuff huh!

My buddy Del was good friends with Daniel Duby. Del speaks with gleam in his eye when he talks about his ability. He mentioned that Duby could kick a tele pole with one of the dragging/sweeping front line kicks and Vibrate the pole.

Power!

He told me stories about his fighting ability and love for competition. Cool stuff.

Peace,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roselando
    Hey E,

Gotta love the Old Shoe stuff huh!

My buddy Del was good friends with Daniel Duby. Del speaks with gleam in his eye when he talks about his ability. He mentioned that Duby could kick a tele pole with one of the dragging/sweeping front line kicks and Vibrate the pole.

Power!

He told me stories about his fighting ability and love for competition. Cool stuff.

Peace,
    yep Duby is is the man ,,, Both VU and Rob were taught by him
    it's were i got my kicks from [ no were near there level ]
    i got a few private seminars with Duby and it's like watching bruce , and his wing chun is not bad either !
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

AFAIK, the rules of Savate and Muay Thai are quite different.
    No grabbing of the opponent or catching the leg is allowed in savate and no knees.

thanks for the reading couch.

edmund,
    the reason i ask is i wonder how savate guys do vs thai guys. now i know theres conditioning etc and its down to individual fighters but the savate kicks definitely have ko power (niiiice one in that clip) and are way more sneaky for faking the defense non telegraphic etc. is it just the shoes? also what are the savate weakness?

edmund,
    the reason i ask is i wonder how savate guys do vs thai guys. now i know theres conditioning etc and its down to individual fighters but the savate kicks definitely have ko power (niiiice one in that clip) and are way more sneaky for faking the defense non telegraphic etc. is it just the shoes? also what are the savate weakness?
    With no clinching, catching the kick or elbowing and kneeing in Savate, they would have to overcome that under MT rules. In MT, there is on average a lot of more kneeing than any other technique.

Savate guys did well back in the day , they have waaaay better footwork and hand work and they also use there version of the low line kick

now some Thai guys are getting good hands ,,, but it would be a came of catch me if you can ,,in the street version of Savate you have use of more tools and take downs ....

but both are great methods ,,, it is a game of rules [game being the pivotal word ]

add in head butts and the game changes and in kicks to the balls and the game changes .... such is the way with sporting events

as far as functional weapons both give great tools to your over all arsenal ,, big c*ck strong young cats will prefer to stalk and give and take so Thai will interest them , lean quick dudes can use the footwork and range of Savate kicks ,,i use both but then again i don' play ring games so I'm not bound by rules

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

E,

just an idea...... How about a short video compilation featuring Savate and how it blends in sparring with Wing Chun. Maybe take some of the footage of the guys sparring together and extract out the savate stuff to make a short montage for your webpage.

-L
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie
    Savate guys did well back in the day , they have waaaay better footwork and hand work and they also use there version of the low line kick

now some Thai guys are getting good hands ,,, but it would be a came of catch me if you can ,,in the street version of Savate you have use of more tools and take downs ....

but both are great methods ,,, it is a game of rules [game being the pivotal word ]

add in head butts and the game changes and in kicks to the balls and the game changes .... such is the way with sporting events

as far as functional weapons both give great tools to your over all arsenal ,, big c*ck strong young cats will prefer to stalk and give and take so Thai will interest them , lean quick dudes can use the footwork and range of Savate kicks ,,i use both but then again i don' play ring games so I'm not bound by rules
    Interesting, how adding in two elements can change the game allot. Although you have to respect competetors in the NHB arena, as their guts and conditioning is high level, there are still elements to be aware of that are NOT included in these events. I guess like anything you have to take what is useful and discard what is useless for yourself...emmm I wonder where I got that from?

I was impressed with your Savate kicks Ernie when you demo'd some of them for Jon and I. I won't even attempt to take on learning that stuff yet, I still got lots to go over with what I have on my table right now..but in the future it looks like fun.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie

im on the case of some savate then esp footwork and kicks.

also yup thai now has better hands see dekker or i know a few good thai boxers and yup you gotta love the thai attitude

bando is the science of 9 limbs they love the head but. a few people i know have been to the thai vs burmese fights. some crrrraaazzzzy stories...

james, dude your kicking skills are already real real good, get some more functional ones [savate, thai] and youll cause a ton of trouble

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceofidaho
    E,

just an idea...... How about a short video compilation featuring Savate and how it blends in sparring with Wing Chun. Maybe take some of the footage of the guys sparring together and extract out the Savate stuff to make a short montage for your web page.

-L
    honestly
    i don't teach them Savate [ i don't feel I'm qualified and i have let my kicking skills really decline over the last few years i just keep the bread and butter kicks functional just in case ]
    Savate is a b*tch to learn i spent years doing specific stretches and pin point kicks on the bag [ broke my toe tons of times and will always have slight pain from that now ] i used the wrong type of power and body mechanics [ more Thai style] by the time i got the right feel , damage was done . so what you guys have seen is a very slow and declined skill , it the targeting and illusiveness of the kick that makes hard to pick off .

Thai is much easier to learn and maintain but now my knee has had issues from power kicking for to many years ,,,, again why i keep heading back to wing Chun ,,my body doesn't suffer the same amount of damage and i can still improve even when the other injuries are present !

but this is my journey and adjustments do to age and over training ,

in the attribute class i cover a few of the kicks and in sparring i show the footwork . kicking and bridging tactics , hand and leg set ups ,,, but i give them options from Filipino kicking , Thai or only 3 core Savate kicks ,,, showing that the type of weapon [technique] is really that important it's the relationship you dictate with your opponent , you can insert what ever on the line you set up .

as for video clips ''L'' you know I'm not the shy type but the guys and Gary have asked me to refrain from putting up so much ,,, your fam so if you want some stuff i can make something for you buddy

but honesty now i just flow no real distinction from shell to shell .

James - when we get together next we can save a day for some core drills and stretches you can use like Jon said your already limber and have good kicking skills , just need to put it in motion .

Jon i might be out that way in a few months so same for you buddy

if you guys ever really want some good street Savate set up a semoinar with Rob ! and bring a medical kit and everyones new name will be ''canvas back '' as you will be spending most of your time there
    Last edited by Ernie; 04-29-2006 at 05:43 PM.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eca9UJLjpd0

here is an older style clip

I'm a big fan of high kicks but some of the footwork and low line kicking is nice [ little glimpses here and there ]

kicks of savate

muay thai kicks are not easier than the savate kicks. all the kicks of savate was created to be efficient to strikre with the shoes on the ring. muay thai strike with the shin, and it's forbiden on the rules of savate.
    the rules obliged savate kickboxer to be farer to only kick with the shoes and not with the shin. it's the specialty of savate
    if you want more informations about savate : www.savateworld.com or www.bvbfs.fr

Quote Originally Posted by savateworld
    muay Thai kicks are not easier than the Savate kicks. all the kicks of Savate was created to be efficient to strikre with the shoes on the ring. muay Thai strike with the shin, and it's forbiden on the rules of Savate.
    the rules obliged Savate kickboxer to be farer to only kick with the shoes and not with the shin. it's the specialty of Savate
    if you want more informations about Savate : www.savateworld.com or www.bvbfs.fr

sorry buddy but i would have to disagree with you big time !!
    the flexibility alone required to maintain a truly efficient range of Savate kicks is way more intense then a low line thigh kick or push kick

the hip and knee [ open and present the hip] alignment takes allot of time to cultivate and be able to execute add in the ''aliveness '' of the Savate footwork
    and the ability to recoil and fire multiple kicks while in motion and incorporating hand leg set ups ,,,, all way more difficult then Thai kicks and mechanics

there 2 different concepts , ranges and mechanics

love them both ,,,, but maintaining a Thai kick is just allot easier as the years pile on .

also I'm not a fan of box fanchese [SP] sport Savate
    i got much more respect for the old Savate [street version ]

but it is a beautiful thing to watch !