Thread: how to do deadlifts, lunges

how to do deadlifts, lunges

I have a pretty good workout for upper body but I am thinking of adding deadlifts, lunges, and squats to hit some of the muscle groups I am missing with my current workout. Could anyone describe how to do deadlifts or lunges or know any sites that do (I know how to do squats) I will have someone at the gym show next time I go but until then I could really use some advice on how to do these.
    thanks,
    adam
    "That is because you are stupid"
    -Zorro

Deadlifts are awesome. If you want to add more focus to your hamstrings I would recommend stiff-legged deadlifts. Either are a great choice. Add them either to your leg or back day.

Deadlift:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

Straight-legged Deadlift:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gDeadlift.html

Lunges:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/BBLunge.html

Enjoy!

Lunges I find help a lot with balance, and also help build some good definition as well, also i find that as it hits one leg at a time it is a good builder for those kicking muscles...(yes, it does help them before i get any comments about specificity training.)

make sure you have a strong back if you intend doing stiff-legged dead-lifts as you could damage your erector spinae muscles.normal deadlifts i will agree are cool.
    Peace.
    Last edited by harry_the_monk; 01-05-2002 at 08:18 PM.
    May all beings live in peace and harmony,
    May all beings live wisely,
    May all beings be enlightened.

Thanks guys!
    I'll be adding the deadlifts to my workout on my next leg day. I'll try out the lunges and maybe add those too.
    thanks,
    adam
    -Zorro

a couple questions I forgot to ask...
    My workout is a simpler version of the one destrous9 posted here . Could I do the same sets and reps I use for bench, curls, etc. for deadlift? (A set of 10-12, two sets of 7-9, and a set of 4-6 with the heaviest weight I can do the sets with) Also, could I do deadlift with dumbells or am I just better off with sticking to the bar? I was thinking it might do more stabiliser muscles with the dumbells, but it might not, I havent tried.
    thanks,
    adam
    -Zorro

yes, it is possible to do that, it is known as pyramiding, some people also train it the other way, which is called drop-sets. As long as you change the way you train every couple of months you will constantly confuse the body and help stop it plateauing

personally i like to mix'n'match between different lifting systems but allways take it to overload, not sure about the dumbell thing, can't see it not working though, but give it a try. obviously keeping your back upright and straight at all times and making sure its your legs doing the lift

peace.

Doing sets like that are fine. Using dumbells are fine although you will have difficulty finding heavy enough dumbells. You will find out that you can do quite a bit of weight on deadlifts. Don't switch up your routine every couple months, only when you have had absolutely no gains in strength over a few weeks time. The gains you see from switching have very little to do with muscle strength. I have posted enough on this subject that I won't keep explaining it. Do a search.

If you are doing dumbells for stabilizers I wouldn't worry...deadlifts hit so many muscles in your body including many stabilizers regardless of the barbell or dumbell...

i have had deadlifts confused with clean and jerks for a while now . .. thought they were one and the same.

you guys got any advice for clean and jerks?
    where's my beer?

clean'n'jerk/(press)

also trains upper body, as well as different stabalisers as the clean movement and jerk(press) movement normally follow the deadlift.[bar to shoulder area, then lift above head...hard to describe really if you go to a gym i'm sure someone can show you the safe way to perform it.]
    this movement is sometimes done by people who are getting the bar up for squats without a rack(although i wouldn't recomend doing it without a spotter!!)
    the deadlift is primarily lifting the weight up off the floor.

sorry about the advice on periods to change, i meant that its what i like to do personally.el pietro is right as ever you only really need to change what youre doing when you feel you are on a plateau.

peace

I think my computer is retarded. none of the links elpietro posted work. wtf?

anyone else have this problem?

Iron
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

They worked when I tested them but now they aren't. The site is www.exrx.net . I've been having DNS problems so having trouble getting it loaded...if you still can't get to it repost and I'll try and find out what's going on...

...stupid internet...