Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Board Breaking

Board Breaking

I was wondering if different CMA schools do board breaking. Is it as common as it is in karate or TKD?
    Tae kwon do is not just a martial art, it is a way of life.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Its definately not as common as in TKD and Karate...

We dont do it here, i belive very few kung fu places do.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Boards *shakes head* don't hit back.

Sorry, had to get that in first
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Board breaking is nothing more than a attempted display of self achived false acomplishment and nothing more. It is a cheap way to make one feel like they are strong or powerful by the ability to break things with their bare hands. However pine boards dried and cut with the grain can be broken by a child of 9 or 10 with no training at all for they are not a true test of anything other than the use of fire wood. I once met a guy 4 th degree who told me he could break a 10 inch board with a palm strike. Being an iron palm guy and realizing that his breaks were nothing more than a stage act I said if you can break 10 , 1inch boards for a total of 10 inches than it would be easier to break 2 inches right? he said I guess so , I then said OK break this 2x4 he said no I cant I said why , he said its not the same... I said your right it should be easier to break just 2 inches of wood as opposed to 10 inches he said but I have to have spacers........................ I rest my case next youll talk about ice breaking which is almost as easy... want to impress someone? crush a coconut with a hammer fist
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Useless?

Boardbreaking can teach at least one thing besides just looking cool (yes, you can make it easier or harder). It can teach a student to not focus on the obstacle to break but behind, etc. to generate more power, keep speed up, etc. However, after doing just that...it isn't as neat to the breaker anymore. It may help with confidence and not false confidence if you have a good instructor...yes, you can break the board maybe even fast, live opponents are different.

I've broken a few boards (on the ground, being held, throwing it up in the air for a speed break, etc.) but it really isnt' that much fun anymore, sigh.

Peace ...or flame on, whatever makes you happy.

What is your problem, ED? You can't just go throwing your opinions around like that. It makes you look ignorant. Since this is now a debate on wether board breaking is useless or not let me first say that all you have is an opinion and that masters and grandmasters all over the world do not share your opinion.

9 and 10 year olds can break these boards? I don't know what kind of boards they are using but grown men can't break the ones we break, which is the standard board most places break, not on their first try anyway. It takes training. So if this is a stage act, then who cares because it took a lot of training to do it.

As for being a means of showing off, according to that logic, anything related to training is showing off. And that can be true. Sparring can be showing off, forms can be showing off. But just like board breaking can be showing off, it also is often not. Someone testing in karate breaks their board in front of a few instructors is not showing off.

Confidence booster? I would feel more confident about myself if I could break a board that I wasn't able to before. But confident about being able to fight on the street? Is that what you meant? No you shouldn't feel more confident about yourself in that way just because you can break a board. Nor if you can do your form well or even spar well. So what does that have to do with board breaking?
    Tae kwon do is not just a martial art, it is a way of life.

Mr Nunchaku

Actually, he can throw around his opinions if he wants, just like you can. It is a kung fu forum - a place for people to debate and discuss aspects of Chinese MA. He has every right to voice his opinion whether they are correct or not.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

I think board breaking is ok. AND if some people feel its a good confidence boost then so be it. Everyone gets tere confidence from somewhere and some people just happen to get it after breaking a thick thing wood with their bare body..there is nothing wrong with that. After is is ONLY part of a artial art, and not a very big part I might add, so there no need to get so *****y about it.

Tae Li
    The difference lies in you.

"I understand now that fear is a normal reaction of the Human Body, so why fight it? Accept being afraid, but dont let it hold you back, keep moving forward and the light will shine at the end of the tunnel"
    -Tae Li.

Board breaking is a good exercise to fine tune your mental concentration. And, yes, boards do hit back. Newton's Third Law says so.
    K. Mark Hoover

Originally posted by Mr Nunchaku
    What is your problem, ED? You can't just go throwing your opinions around like that. It makes you look ignorant.
    This forum is friggin BASED on peoples opinions and ideas man, so yeah, he can throw around his opinions all he wants, and saying that he can't makes YOU ignorant.
    Last edited by Jeff Liboiron; 01-07-2002 at 09:43 PM.
    "The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you."

"Fighting is not hitting, any fool can hit. Fighting is making the other guy miss. He misses, he gets scarred."

"Nudity and violence are what make a good movie. Violent lesbian nudity makes a great movie." - GDA

- Where's my Mook?

Originally posted by Tae Li
    I think board breaking is ok. AND if some people feel its a good confidence boost then so be it. Everyone gets tere confidence from somewhere and some people just happen to get it after breaking a thick thing wood with their bare body..there is nothing wrong with that. After is is ONLY part of a artial art, and not a very big part I might add, so there no need to get so *****y about it.

Tae Li
    im correcting my own spelling.....After all,it is only PART of the martial art, and not a very big part. There. That sounds much better.
    The difference lies in you.

"I understand now that fear is a normal reaction of the Human Body, so why fight it? Accept being afraid, but dont let it hold you back, keep moving forward and the light will shine at the end of the tunnel"
    -Tae Li.

I remember the first time I broke a board. I was supposed to use the back part of my hand (where the pinky finger is located). I did not realize this and used my knuckles and broke it in half on the first try. I watched a 10 year old (blue belt) try to break one smaller and took him about 9 tries before he did it. I did it mainly because I use to punch stuff when I was young and so my hands slowly lost nerves. It still hurts, but not as much.
    I have a signature.

"yes, boards do hit back. Newton's Third Law says so."
    -I gotta admit that pretty much throws a spanner in the works now dont it!

I wouldnt say board breaking was useless but not a really high level skill either. Ive done proper boards and there not to hard to break but not easy either. Baked boards like the ones used in many demonstrations will snap if you stare at them wrong. Breaking bricks is a better skill in some ways though still not really telling of fighting skill. I mean real red bricks not the crummy ones that are yellow in colour and crumble.
    Real breaking is a proper skill, iron palm has it and some traditional kung fu has it. Coconut breaking is a part of many chinese systems. A coconut is round and if its placed strait on the ground the impact must be perfect to break. If its off even slightly the coconut just spins. Same can be said for a hanging coconut.
    I think breaking shouldnt really be focused on to much though, in a fight your target does not stay still, so training to constantly hit a static target will eventualy bring problems.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

I was wondering about the coconut breaking thing. Is there a weak point somewhere on the shell that if struck properly initiates shell-fracture? Since it's not a perfect sphere there must be a stress point that once struck would render the results a breaker desires....right?
    K. Mark Hoover

I think its mainly to do with the angle of the force.
    It has to penetrate directly though the centre, when done properly the coconut litteraly explodes not simply snaps. Its difficault to be able to pick the exact balance or centre of the thing, even harder when its resting on the ground.
    That said i cant speak with to much authority on the subject as errr ive never actualy done it I know that the skill however is very advanced and tends to be a masters skill.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun