Thread: Monk Hong Zhuan's Spear Method Translation

Monk Hong Zhuan's Spear Method Translation

We rarely hear about the monk Hong Zhuan. He was described as a master of staff and spear in Exposition of Original Shaolin Staff Fighting from the late Ming Dynasty.
    What makes him most interesting is that he is the only monk of Shaolin to record Shaolin's method of martial arts from the Ming Dynasty.

I have been translating the preface to his work and come across a term I can not define which is 為俞為將

Here is the translation

Shaolin’s staff method is a divine transmission known since the ancient past. Through my small experience of it I have realized that it is as high above me as tall mountains and as profound as deep seas. You can truly call it an ultimate achievement yet what I have learned is like a twig’s leaf from a great tree. 為俞為將 to learn takes all one’s undivided attention.

If anyone can help with a clue I much appreciate it.

Here is the original Chinese of the above paragraph
    少林棍法,出自神授,名重古今,余颇染指焉。山高海深,诚称绝业,得其一枝片叶,为俞为将,犹足以专门一时 ,复何间然

Here is the original from a website 梦绿堂枪法

Here is an article I wrote on the subject of Monk Hong Zhuan's Spear
    Secret Spear of Shaolin

Kevin

it means "little but useful"

"what i learned is only leaves from the three, its very little but useful"
    Last edited by bawang; 05-05-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Thank you for that info.
    Can you recomend any reference material that would help me in the future?

少林棍法,出自神授,名重古今,餘頗染指焉。

Shaolin staff methods, came from the deities teaching, the name is treasured and looked heavy on since the old times and now, more than you can count with your fingers.

山高海深,誠稱絕業,得其一枝片葉,為俞為將,猶足以專門一時,復何間然

Just like as high and the mountain, as deep as the see, it's called a mastery and rare skills. If you got a "little tiny bit" (like a leave from the tree), you can be a general (to fight for the country), the art is more than enough to make you the most outstanding of the time. what else is better than this?

my take on the passage
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Chi in Nature - My Taoism Temple Website
    Taoist Master BLOG - my blog

My Kungfu Channel on Youtube

spear methods are standard infantry issues since warring periods

nothing mystical or godly or spiritual about them

--

shaolin staff methods have many spear methods

such as--

---

no need to call the gods or demons out

being diligent in your practice alone is enough

--

if you are very good at spear

you are the "god of spear" or shen qiang

--

Jin Na Luo

As for the divine inspiration of Staff fighting at Shaolin, there is a story about the cook at Shaolin Temple that dates back nearly 800 years.

During the Yuan dynasty, the Red Turban Army (紅巾軍 Hongjinjun) attempted to attack the Shaolin Monastery. A monk, who happened to be the temple cook, came out to defend the monastery with his raised wooden staff that was ablaze in flames. A manifestation of the Kinnara King appeared, and the fierce looking emanation scared away the Red Turbans. The monks later erected a worship hall in his honor, and the Kinnara King was later also given the honorific title Bodhisattva Who Supervises the Vegetarian Diet (監齋菩薩 Jianzhai Pusa).
    From The Kitchen God

KFO also published an article from Mier Shahar, the authority on Shaolin history, which includes an illustration (at end of article) of Jin Na Luo straddling mountains. The picture from a Ming Dynasty book on Shaolin Staff. Meat, Wine, and Fighting Monks

And, an article that I wrote about the super human strength we must develop to emulate Jin Na Luo includes a clear illustration minus the mountains so one can get a clear view of him. Opposing 10,000 Men