Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Balm and flatulence

Hybrid View

Tiger Balm and flatulence

I was just doing a little research on Tiger Balm and I noticed that they state on their website that it is a good remedy for flatulence. Does anyone here know how that works? I know I could just email them and find out, but I thought it would be way more fun to get your answers...
    Check it out at
    http://www.tigerbalm.com/02_whatis.htm
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Probably something to do with dispelling damp and/or wind. Someone like Repulsive Monkey probably knows better though
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

well, first you take a couple of Beano pills, then you rub tiger balm around your dan tien.

after awhile, you can say good-bye to those annoying F@rts and have a really fresh camphor smell instead!

seriously though, I have no idea how a muscle fatigue balm would have any efficacy in regards to flatulence.
    This sounds like a "snakeoil" claim, but I'm open to hearing how it works.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hi Gene,

In TCM, aromatic compounds are thought to dispel damp, and this is the foundation for the claim. Certain aromatics do have a surface-level dehydrating effect in that they displace water vapor. However, from both a Western AND a TCM perspective, flatulence is an internal problem and no amount of surface water displacement will affect it one way or another. In TCM, flatulence more often has to do with a disharmony between Stomach and Spleen ascending and descending energy than anything else anyway. You'll get better results pressing or needling S-40, S-36, B-20, LI-25, CV-6 and/or CV-12. For that matter, you'll still get better results practicing an earth qigong.

Smile

Thanks Chris. That was spot on.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Nice answer Chris!

But in layman's terms, if I was a bit gassy, how would I use it exactly? Rub it on those points? Huff it?
    In all seriousness, when I started using it for muscle aches (like most MA people, probably) I wasn't that impressed. But after reading the can and using it for bug bites, I was really amazed with tiger balm. Since then I've always carried it when I travel.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

it's excellent for nasal congestion also.
    And helps with headaches.

i'll take tiger balm over vapo rub any day.

but some in the bottom of a bowl, pour bowling water into the bowl over the balm, put a towel over your head and cover the bowl with the towel as you put you face towards the rising vapours.

feels greeeeeaaaaaat! Clears ya up fast. Still, could just be the abundance of camphor and menthol which are the same ingredients in vicks.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Factors

As Chris has pointed out the wind is due to a transformative and transportational difficulty which quite rightly involves fucntions of bothe the Stomach and Spleen. However flatulence is a symptom of several possible syndromes comcerning the 2 organs and internal problems. Rubbing Tiger Balm on one's stomach area will do precious little to relieve any emissions Im sure of it. If it has a heating function then this could pebetrate and cause tissue warming to the stomach area and further exagerate any Yin deficiecies there causing more ascendence of wind etc. which may result in belcing, sour reguritation. The heat possibily may add towards already heat in the area and go towards drying up body fluids and thus causing stagnation of food etc. and thus promote build up even more. One must just treat a single symptom until there are very sure of its absolute origin. Its aeitology and pathology are more important to ascertain how one should go about treating any symptom.

Maybe you just have to rub some around your anus?? Hehehehehh might burn, but your sex appeal is at this price LOLOLOL
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

Smile Tiger Balm and flatulence

I rubbed some Tiger Balm on my achey deltoid and ****ed.

My arm and stomach felt better after that.

Truly,
    Godzilla

You ask this question as if flatulance is a bad thing. Only to those around you.
    Got Lineage?

No, no BSH, you misread me

I was just trying to figure the connection. I love tiger balm and I was just looking for more uses for it. It works wonders on bug bites, and I was just reading where Julia Butterfly used it successfuly on frost bite during her tree sit. Great stuff Tiger Balm, and I love the gardens in Singapore.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tiger Balm,

I knew a Chinese woman from Jamaca who used to jam some into her sore throat for relief when sick. Yack!!!

Jamaica niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Jamaica could easily drive someone to such actions, especially the Jamaican Chinese. There's a big Chinese population there but when I was there, they all thought I was Japanese. Surprised nobody tried to smoke tiger balm...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene, you may have found the answer!
    Put a dab on some Jamaican green & smoke it! Surely it will prevent gas from the inside out! LOL!
    Funny & informative thread, I shall have to try it on a bite or two.
    Best Wishes,
    BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!