Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some questions on the Burmese martial arts.

snake-style Guest

Kachin Burmese Bando---Phil Dunlap

Anyone know anything about it or him ?

Ordered his seminar tapes today and do not live that far from him. His site is www.afs.f2s.com the stufflooks interesting enough and I am looking to get back into training.

Black Jack Guest
    Mr. Dunlap is the real deal and a total gentleman.

I am undergoing a long distance relationship with Phil and his Kachin Tribal arts of bando and he is a first class kind of guy and has some serious NHB and street experiance under his belt.

If you are in his area you should go see him as Bando and Mr. Dunlap tribal system of bando is as hardcore as it gets and if you can get the hands on AFS class you will be hooked up with a total fighting system that has a teacher with "real life" experiance.

Bando is a brutal and very direct combatitve fighting system from Burma that has its elements incased in a varity (16) of animal spirits that showcase's the many fighting structures, techniques and body types that different fighters may fit into and due to its war based nature it stresses alot of close quarter combat and heavy body conditioning.

I have been looking for a Bando teacher of Mr. Dunlaps caliber for a very long time and I am honored to now be starting on this path with the right people.

He has long distance students that study with him as far Australia.

Go take a look and be respectfull as they train very hard and walk the talk.

I could go into a little more detail about Bando but if he is in your area go check him out as he is a true expert on the Burmese fighting arts and has fought in Lathawe (close to Thai boxing but much more brutal with headbutts, takedowns and no gloves), Thaing (total combat) and Naban (Burmese wrestling art that includes strikes in its aresnal).

Regards

snake-style Guest

Spoke to him

I spoke to him today for like half an hour seemed like a really cool guy. I have a private lesson with him next week and am psyched about it. The way he talks about fighting is a little intimidating.

MonkeySlap Too Guest
    I just checked out his site. How does Kachin Bando differ (or similar to) the styles propogated by Dr. Gyi?

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Black Jack Guest
    Monkeyslap:

It is to early for me to put that down in certain words yet but I will e-mail you some stuff that you may find interesting.

Regards

snake-style Guest

Black Jack

I have read the whole site and the forum it is pretty interesting. There are other groups of Bando? I thought I had heard about it concerning Ghurkas and the military but am not sure and can't find much on the net. It sounds like sick stuff

Black Jack Guest
    Snake-Style if you would like please e-mail me off this post and we can talk about this in private and maybe I can help to answer some of your basic questions.

e-mail:
    express911@earthlink.net

Regards

SokeHargraves Guest

I thought....

I always heard Bando was a pacifist art. Supposedly it is more about healing than fighting.

Am I right?

-Neal

"As we live a life of ease,
    Everyone of us has all we need.
    Sky of blue, and sea of green,
    In our yellow submarine."
    -the beatles

Black Jack Guest
    Way off bro.

Its a brutal killing art that is all about taking out the attacker in as direct as manner as possible.

Pure combat art through and through and it has seen some gruesome war use in WWII by the Gurka's and the Jingapaw tribesmen.

What you may be thinking of is the Bando internal system which is simply translated as the "Monk" system which is alot like a yoga in apperance but it is also full of martial information such as a deep knowledge of stick grappling methods I believe.

Regards

Merryprankster Guest

Phil Dunlap

Dunno about anything else, but his Grapplers always do VERY well at tournaments. One of his guys had a long hard match with Jeff Monson, who is a grappling BEAST. He must be teaching something right.

snake-style Guest
    Black Jack you have mail

Neal this guys system is not for a pacifist unless they are a cannibal. It sounds really rough
    if you read the stuff on stickgrappler's site it is over the edge.

Prankster I used to wrestle in high school and college not very good though and asked him about competition and he said he does not push competing but prepares guys and coaches them.

snake-style Guest

I know nothing about fighting

I took the private yesterday and can't move today my body hurts in places I didn't know existed!!!

Phil really blew away my ideas of what fighting is all about.

Jim

snake-style Guest

never heard from you Black Jack

Black Jack

Never got an e-mail from you on the Bando info I am really curious about the different stuff and Phil doesn't say much about the other guy in the US.

Had my second lesson and got my ass beat up on bad.

Jim

UberShaman Guest
    Very tactfull Black Jack. I think this says alot about about Dr.Gyi
    www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies33.htm

Some questions on the Burmese martial arts.

Are the Burmese arts of Bando, Lethwei, Nabam, and Banshay different aspects of the same style, or are they each a separate art in and of themselves? Also, how dangerous is the sparring in these styles? What kind of injuries are common? Thanks in advance.