Thread: Calligraphy

Calligraphy

Does anyone here practice?

Calligraphy or water colour painting?

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

2. Calligraphy

Yes, I do.

I took it up about 3 years ago in an attempt to gain some insight into the classical mind of the samurai. Didn't work.

I enjoyed it though so I kept it up. I do it now more as a form of meditation as that if forces me to relax in order to get the strokes correct, but yet at the same time requires alot of concentration.

Besides, it has really come in handy when making out rank certificates. My students like to see some Chinese writing on their certificates. It seems to make them feel closer to the past.

I enjoy calligraphy, but my wife is tired of it hanging in the house.

I enjoy black ink painting. Still haven't made it past grinding the ink properly and using newspaper to make gazillions of bamboo stalks and fish.

I have also tried simple charaters, stroke order, "attacking" the paper....

But like any zen art, I await my sudden enlightenment that allows the images to flow freely.

I once watched a painter take a deep breath and as he exhaled he whipped out a wickedly beautiful picture of two large coy in a pond (in less than 2 seconds i'd say). I asked, sensei, how did you do that? He said...."I got a good nights sleep and ate breakfast". Typical.

A persuit I hope to enjoy more in the future.

What's up kung Lek? Thinking of taking up a new hobby?

Hello Kung Lek

I do use watercolours quite a bit but I tend to do more traditional landscapes and studies then chinese images. Can I be of any assistance?

Regards

Outcast

Cool

I do Shodo!!!!
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

I do watercolors for the backgrounds in my comic books. But they stink bad!
    Tae kwon do is not just a martial art, it is a way of life.

Hey this is great...

Artists unite! hahahaha.

Painting, drawing, sculpting and illustration are deep in me blood they is.

At one point, i learned some japanese calligraphy to "help improve my swordsmanship" as it was put to me.

An artist/teacher who taught me some Kung Fu, a man named Yan Kit was also a very accomplished classical chinese artist and I really enjoyed his work.
    We collaborated on the sign for my sifu's school. I did the english and he did the chinese.

Speaking with him during this activity and throughout the time we knew each other taught me a lot about classical art from china and when we rebuilt an old Fat Shan lion head, the help of Yan Kit came through in how the painting of the Lion took shape.

So, yeah, I am interested in learning more about the calligrapy, in particular chinese traditional style.

Can any of you point me towards some literature on the subject?
    I have lost touch with Yan Kit as he has gone back to China.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I used to be a d a m n good artist when I was about 15, but has to drop it in favour of higher education

I have a Chinese calligraphic painting of my name above my bed, that a friend brought back from Hong Kong. It really is beautiful, the letters merge into animals. The "L" has a tiger leaping out of it, the "E" is a dragon with a bird on its back, the "W" is two birds in flight, the "I" is a seal rising from the water, and the "S" is two squirrels in play.

According to the friend who got it for me, it was done with sponges rather than brushes, and the detail penned in. There is Chinese writing around the edge and some more beautiful art of pandas, but I can't read Chinese

And yes, my name is Lewis. You heard it here first, OK!!
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

hehe Lewis.. : )
    yeah i draw stuff now and then.. Used to be a comic book artist but I grew tired and havn't really st down to draw anything serious in years.
    Actually that's kinda sad
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Custom Chinese Calligraphy for Martial Arts

Hi there,

I just started a Chinese calligraphy website for providing custom calligraphy for martial arts, with selections of your favorate calligraphy styles.

You are welcome to view some samples at:
    http://www.art-virtue.com/studio&store.htm#Available

More works will be listed in the future for different styles of martial arts. Your comments are appreciated!

J
    www.art-virtue.com
    Custom Chinese Calligraphy for Martial Arts

calligraphy

anyone know of a good book or website to learn calligraphy or a source for supplie like blank sumi scrolls ? I want to learn it.

there are many good sites..
    go to google and search for Chinese calligraphy.

if you are really enthusiastic, you can buy a chinese calligraphic dictionary (might be hard to find however in missippi.)

supplies can be found on amazon. try getting sheets of rice paper that are cheep, a good sheepshair brush, and you can get bottled ink, or ink that is ground on a stone.

calligraphy mounters?

Hey anyone know of a good Chinese calligraphy mounter in the LA basin?

I'm looking for one.

Chinese calligraphy

I am from Fuzhou China. Chinese calligraphy is closely linked with kungfu, both of them are considered a high level of art form. To what extend is Chinese calligraphy embraced in the west?

Chinese calligraphy in the West

It's pretty rare. The average person wouldn't be interested in Chinese calligraphy. The closest thing is the popularity of using Chinese characters for tattoos. However, I've heard a lot of stories about people that wind up getting tattoos that say things they wouldn't want written on themselves.

And welcome to the boards roc.
    Last edited by The Xia; 09-20-2006 at 01:35 PM.