Thread: Martial Arts Injuries

Martial Arts Injuries

Here is where you can post injuries that you have got due to martial arts training. I hope no one has already thought of this.

I once broke my wrist incorrectly defending against a bo (staff).

I once broke my other wrist incorrectly breaking a board (well, it didn't actually break).

Now here is the one that effected me the most. I got hit right in the face with a round kick. It's funny too, I was wearing my helmet and it missed every padded part my helmet had to offer and hit me right in the face. It broke the bone under my eye, left half a black eye, and my tooth would pertrude if I pressed the spot in the face where I got kicked.
    Tae kwon do is not just a martial art, it is a way of life.

You know what, I feel pretty foolish. I thought this topic was familiar for a reason. I made it when I first came to this board. Sorry about that. I go to lots of MA boards and sometimes I'm confused what I've done where.

Anyone know how to close a topic?
    Tae kwon do is not just a martial art, it is a way of life.

I declare this topic closed.
    The difference lies in you.

"I understand now that fear is a normal reaction of the Human Body, so why fight it? Accept being afraid, but dont let it hold you back, keep moving forward and the light will shine at the end of the tunnel"
    -Tae Li.

Nate Kosberg

MINNEAPOLIS 544461312
    Martial arts fighter suffers serious brain injury during bout in Minneapolis
    The former Minneapolis phy ed teacher suffered significant brain injury.
    By Paul Walsh Star Tribune AUGUST 15, 2019 — 9:43PM

– PROVIDED BY KAITLIN YOUNG
    An ambulance raced Nate Kosberg the few miles from Dinkytown to HCMC in downtown Minneapolis. Credit: Provided by Kaitlin Young

A martial arts fighter suffered a significant brain injury during a bout in Minneapolis over the weekend, underwent emergency surgery and is said to have "a very long road to recovery."

Nate Kosberg, 26, who trains out of the Academy gym in Brooklyn Center, was injured during his amateur Muay Thai bout Saturday at the Varsity Theater in Minneapolis and was in serious condition Thursday at HCMC.

The 137-pound Kosberg, who lost the fight in a decision, "didn't appear hurt at all … after the fight and was talking and laughing," said Kaitlin Young, a fellow fighter who helped put together the 14-bout card.

Once outside the ring and while taking off his gear, "he started to pass out," said Young, who was ringside during Kosberg's bout.

An ambulance hired by the promoter to be at the venue in case of such an emergency raced Kosberg the few miles from Dinkytown to HCMC in downtown Minneapolis for what Young described as a life-threatening cerebral hemorrhage, and Kosberg underwent surgery to remove a blood clot.

Kosberg "has a very long road to recovery but is thankfully still with us," Young said in a posting on a fundraising web page set up on the fighter's behalf.

Muay Thai, or Thai boxing, uses stand-up striking with fists and feet along with various clinching techniques. Bouts are held around the world, and some online videos have drawn millions of views each.

Kosberg's bout of three two-minute rounds and the rest of the card had a doctor ringside, and the fights were sanctioned by the Iowa-based Thai Boxing Association-Sanctioning Authority, Young said.

Minnesota's Office of Combative Sports, which sanctions boxing and some other forms of organized fighting in the state, does not sanction Muay Thai and did not oversee this card, said agency spokesman James Honerman.

Away from the ring, Kosberg just ended his time on staff at Windom Dual Immersion School in south Minneapolis as a physical education teacher in order to concentrate more fully on his fighting career, said school district spokeswoman Julie Brown. He joined the district in January 2016 as an associate educator before becoming a teacher in September of that year.

He's also been teaching at A Work of Art boxing and fitness gym in Minnetonka, Young said.

The Minneapolis South High School graduate received a child psychology degree from the University of Minnesota and also minored in Spanish, according to his Windom school biography page.

Paul Walsh is a general assignment reporter at the Star Tribune. He wants your news tips, especially in and near Minnesota.
    pwalsh@startribune.com 612-673-4482 walshpj
    THREADS
    Martial Arts Injuries
    Muay Thai
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

That's why expert suggests people not to have more than one sparring session per week. Even minor scratch will slow down our training.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong