Thread: Are the hakka arts compatible with the internal arts?

Are the hakka arts compatible with the internal arts?

Have any of you white tiger, pak mei, lung ying, ykm, or southern mantis people ever crosstrained in tai chi, hsing-i, or pa kua? If so, have you found that crosstraining in the internal arts helped you to improve upon what you already know? If not, was crosstraining in the internal arts somehow detrimental? Thanks in advance.

Hello

Well YKM has its own internal system within it called yau kung sup baat serng toy jeurng. 1st form is the longest taking about 15 or more minutes to complete which is for health. The second form is for fighting and third form is the lion rolling the ball form whcih build internal strength and helps tone the body externally.

I think all tradition arts have its own internal healing section as well as fighting art. has to be a balance i think somewhere in the system.

regards
    FT

I'm a big ignorant. Why these arts are called Hakka? Any relation with the triads?

all I know is that the way I am taught the little Fujian White Crane I know of (it's not a "Hakka art" per se, but shares common flavours I believe), and the way I am taught bagua are completely two different things regarding power generation...
    The only common things would be the tucking (relaxing) of the weilu (tailbone), and the use of the gua. The rest, specially generating power with a spine wave or shoulder arcing (turtle back), is a definite no no with my bagua teacher who just freaks out if he catches me doing it LOL.

I'd say at high level there must be a common view and unity, but at beginner/ regular proficiency there are gaps too wide to be jumped across...

Just my opinions based on my limited experience...
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

With my main training being mantis, I did do taiji for 9 months at the same time. I didn't really do enough of either but there was a definite cross-over from my taiji into the main style. the spm posture made it hard to do things in the taiji way - the teacher kept looking at my shoulders and moaning.

After a while, I decided I didn't have the time/energy/committment to really make a go of the taiji. Maybe later (much later) I'll go back to it.

-David

mixing

I have found that Bagua circle walking/changing has helped me become more mobile and elusive.

Originally posted by JAZA
    I'm a big ignorant. Why these arts are called Hakka? Any relation with the triads?
    Hakka ("kejia" in mandarin) means "those who came" or "guests"
    "A basic tenet of the Shoalin teaching, which is an echo of the Buddha's advice to his followers, is that one should not accept anything on faith alone, nor on the reputation of the masters, but practise the arts diligently for a reasonable length of time, and then assess the results according to one's understanding and experience" Wong Kiew Kit, The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu.

What are Hakka martial arts?
    Let people make mistakes; it's the easiest way to learn and remember what not to do.

Personally, I think there is a significant crossover. I feel that Pak Mei, Chow gar SPM are in herently internal styles.

So you can train an internal style and
    gain in your understanding of your
    hakka art. At the moment I dont think the
    application/ faht whatever is the same,
    but the methods of power generation are
    similar. The 9 section chi sau, is the same
    as the body moves as one unit in tai chi.

The spit / swallow in SPM is the same as
    the open / close in Tai chi. Of course this
    is just my opinion, feel free to critize and comment.

Andrew

Originally posted by iron thread
    What are Hakka martial arts?
    Hakka Chinese are basically nomads, rumoured to be descendants of a royal family who were over thrown and became nomads. My father is Hakka Chinese, many of whom generations ago left China in their travels.

Go to the following link, theres a great article that explains a bit abou the Hakka boxing arts. Hope this helps.

http://cclib.nsu.ru/projects/satbi/s.../wushu/sm.html
    "A basic tenet of the Shoalin teaching, which is an echo of the Buddha's advice to his followers, is that one should not accept anything on faith alone, nor on the reputation of the masters, but practise the arts diligently for a reasonable length of time, and then assess the results according to one's understanding and experience" Wong Kiew Kit, The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu.