Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Southern Shaolin Temple

The Modern Southern Shaolin Temple

What styles do they practice at this temple? Is it just like song shan but in he south or do they practice more southern martial arts? Is it like song shan in that they practice a mix of wushu and traditional or do they do only one? What goes on there? I have been dieing to know more about this temple since I first heard about it. I've been waiting for kungfu qigong to publish more articles on it but they are taking to long! Any info on this temple would be appreciated. I don't want to here about how it was "cooked up by PRC" though cause wheither it exsisted before doesn't matter to me, it exists now.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Smile He, He, He

Best guess, it's going to be Southern Wushu untill they figure out what real Southern Shaolin actually is.

I know there are some legit Southern Shaolin lineages out there(like South Louhan), maybe they will study them like they did with the northern temple's Kung Fu
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Some have said it is mostly southern wushu, however, I have heard that they also do some 5 animal traditional.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Does anybody no where I can get some info from people who have been there? It seems nobody's really been there yet except the shaolin do article in Kungfu qigong. I am really interested in finding out more about the south temple.

Norther practitioner- What have you heard about the temple as far as the 5 animal goes? Do you know sombody who has been there?

Gene you guys have been slacking on this! Do you have any info on this thing? Are there going to be any articles coming up?

You talking about the one in Quanzhou? I have been to it. I am not entirely sure about what they practice there, but my late sigung made regular trips there to bring the art back to China. I was there as part of a group to help him coach the monks. Whether they only practice wushu or not, I am not sure but I am sure of one thing - they are good martial artists. They learn very quickly and are amazingly strong, flexible and agile.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

I am not sure about my Chinese geography but I think it is in Fukein. Didn't gene want you to write an article about that? Do it I would love to read about your whole experience there.

Yeah, my geography is really bad. I am not sure but I think Quanzhou is in Fukien province.

Gene did ask me to write that article, but it really isn't that interesting. Just spent a few hours there showing the monks a few exercises and some sets. Makes me sound like I am really good huh? I am not - I just happened to be there (so were about 20 others) and my Sigung asked us to help teach.

I am happy to talk about it, but I don't really think it is worth publishing.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

We're still working on that story...

We had two different authors who were planning to go - Shawn Liu and Benny Meng. But both had changes in their plans. Shawn was planning to go when there was talk of installing his master Suxi as abbot there, but that doesn't look like it's going to happne now. They still might go, but not soon. Unfortunately, there isn't much around there (or so I hear) - it's a little off the beaten path. But hopefully someone will go soon.
    If any of you want to go and report back, please let me know!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Mr. Ching

There are other Wing Chun people out there besides Benny Meng and I am sure that there are plenty who are less controversial and more well respected. How about Rene Ritchie? His research is solid and unlike Benny he is willing to show his references and sources nor is he pushing a personal agenda. I believe he posts on the Wing Chun forum.

Less controversial Wing Chun?

Actually, Rene has been working on something for our eZine and if you look at our next issue (which should hit the stands in about two weeks) you'll find 4 wing chun articles, not a one by Benny. Admitedly he writes a lot for us - he was just one of the people planning to visit the Southern Temple, so we we're hoping he could bring back the story.
    We ran one southern temple story back in Mar/Apr 2001, but we want more details. Sounds like we're not the only ones...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I ran across this thread while browsing and couldn't help but to reply. I've been to the Quanzhou area several times since I have in-law family there. While I've never been to the "temple" nor have I been to the major training halls, I did gain insight into Southern Shaolin culture speaking to several local martial artists.

1. The location of the temple has not been determined. There are three locations currently billing themselves as the "source", Qhuanzhou, Putian, and another spot between Putian and Fuzhou. Quanzhou and Putian each have a rebuilt temple.

2. No official record exists supporting the authenticity of any of the sites. In contrast, the Hebei temple has both written record and archaelogical record supporting the claim that martial arts were practiced there. Little physical evidence exists--not enough to support that the ruins were actually a Shaolin monastary.

3. A profit-oriented industry, both regional and international (Western nations and Southeast Asia), has grown up around Southern Shaolin and the temples. I had on more than one occasion have someone tell me their opinion that the temples never existed, but then said--when they found out I was contemplating an article--not to quote them or use their names for fear of being criticized by those promoting the temple. This regional marketing does affect the information that is presented to the public, especially the overseas ones.

I am not saying that a temple or temples never existed, but I am demonstrating that many things you hear about the Southern Temple does not reveal the true story. For example, there was an article not too long ago in this magazine about the Putian temple. The author took the assumptive viewpoint that the temple was the true one and mentioned nothing about the Shaolin Temple about an hour's drive south in Quanzhou.

In the future I do hope to make my way to both sites to gain further clarification in this area, finding out more of the folk history and the actual curriculum at the training halls.

Keith

Keith

Nice post. Write us an article when you go. It'll save me a trip.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

On my trip to the one in Quanzhou, I also went to the 'old' one in Putian (Putian happened to be my Sigung's home town). The 'new' temple was being rebuilt at the time.

Now I do not know anything about this temple, but the 'old' one looked very old, and there was a kung fu school there. All we did was watch a few demos, do a few of our own, then left.

Interesting part of the world anyway

Joedoe,

I am curious as to wu shu styles popular in that region (trying to get a cultural handle on things).

Which style does your sigung practice? Did he grow up in Putian and learn his art there?

I have the feeling from my discussion with the martial artists in Xiamen that the temple organizers, bolstered by the local schools, were reconstructing a curriculum by assimilating the local folk arts popular around the region south of the Min River. Some of the names I ran across were White Crane (created in Yongchun about an hour's drive west of Quanzhou), Taizu Quan, Five Ancestor Fist (a newer style but builit around a mixture of five older systems), Dog Boxing, Lion Boxing, a Fujian version of Louhan Quan, Tiger, and a few others that I have to look up. Taizu is really popular in Quanzhou. Five Ancestor Fist was created in Quanzhou as well.

Keith

Just out of curiosity...

If I go to Greece, go to the Oracle at Delphi location, rebuild it, then go out and find people who can fill the parts of Greek Temple officials (priestesses and priests and such for the Greek Gods and that long dead religion), add some money into the mix....

Can I then say that the rebuilt Oracle is truly an operating temple for Apollo?

Ok...this example is like 2500 years as opposed to 250...but....things that make you go HMMMMMM....