Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Modern Southern Shaolin Temple

Come on now, Willow's cool. He stood up for the style which he believed in and lost. And, instead of making excuses, he left his school and is seeking out more realistic training metheods. Takes a lot of guts to leave a school you've been involved in for years.

Ugh. I ignored that post cause I knew it was shaolin do and I didn't want this thread to turn into one of those kinds
    Can we not talk about shaolin do here please? Start a new topic.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Wushu and PRC

There's a big myth in this country that it's still illegal to practice traditional Kungfu in Communist China but that's simiply not true. There's actually a national traditional Kungfu tournament that alternates with with national wushu championships, every other year. Additionally, many of the major tournaments in China require that you compete one traditional form to earn an all-round championship.

And if you go to China, you'd have to be blind to not see the traditional stuff. It's pretty easy to find, just not as pervasive as modern Wushu.

my bad

I was using the other terminal and didn't realize the last guy left it logged on as KFQ Admin.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Actually, there are a lot of myths about China that are bandied around
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Any info southern shaolin temple?

looking to train in China this summer and i wanted to train at the southern shaolin temple.

Any info for the southern shaolin temple?

I believe it's in Quanzhou?

Any info on how I can train there would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by ktkungfu View Post
    looking to train in China this summer and i wanted to train at the southern shaolin temple.

Any info for the southern shaolin temple?

I believe it's in Quanzhou?

Any info on how I can train there would be greatly appreciated
    http://www.kungfusupply.nl/southern_...e_in_quanz.htm
    Hope this link give u a little idea about the temple .... as its also points out main style in the temple is 5 ancestors...

We've published quite a bit about it

Hit up our article search engine. Plug in 'Southern Shaolin' and pull down 'find ALL words' or 'find EXACT phrase' and you'll see.

I'm moving this to our Shaolin forum, as it may get better response there.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by SergeTk View Post
    http://www.kungfusupply.nl/southern_...e_in_quanz.htm
    Hope this link give u a little idea about the temple .... as its also points out main style in the temple is 5 ancestors...
    Thanks, but I did see this before and there's no copntact info?

Thats what Im looking for. There's no web site or contact info on these sites. I've done dozens of searches on the web NADA.

I dont want to fly out to China without talking to someone on how to get there.

There's several southern temples

We got into this more in our print articles, but there weren't any Southern temples officially recognized by Songshan Shaolin, and there were multiple competing sites for the Southern temple. Note that this is in regards to your Quanzhou inquiry, not the Yunnan temples.

That's the thing with southern Shaolin. It's actually rather complicated.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

If its real Southern temple or not hardly makes a difference at this point. Quanzhou temple has far more incomon with old days shaolin than songshan does, which is more conserned with making $$ and trying to control Shaolin name....

HOLLY CRAP THERE IS A TEMPLE WHICH MORE CONCERNED WITH SPREADING AND RESTORING TRADITIONAL CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS AND NOT MAKING MONEY..... WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TOO ...
    Last edited by SergeTk; 02-19-2011 at 06:02 PM.

All temples function within the parameters of the social construct in which they exist.

Shaolin is a name. To despise them because of how they function in one day and age and not another when they have functioned in myriad ways regarding the secular world over the centuries is to miss the point of what Shaolin is.

For me personally, Shaolin Temple is a place with a history that is long and storied. But Shaolin is also an idea, in my own mind that focuses on what has come from Shaolin as opposed to the external look of what it is or has been.

Martial Arts, Zen and Healthful practices/medicine are the real treasures. Not some sifu, or some monk, or some abbot or some building. These are all small cogs in a much greater wheel. Like each of us. Sometimes the cogs are worn or broken and impede the turning of the wheel, but the wheel itself is so great that it is merely slowed by the broken and damaged cogs with which it is driven. Over time, if neglected, the wheel will stop, but with care and maintenance, it will turn as long as we breath.

In other words, Shaolin is everywhere now. It is not one place anymore as the seed is growing in people, widely.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Fujian Shaolin Monastery

There are five lines or main branches of Shaolin, recognized by some and rejected by many. What is it known about the Monastery of Fujian whose remains found some decades ago and were they reconstructing?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    it is now Disneyland.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.