Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fist of Legend

chen zhen Guest

fist of legend

what kf style does the stuff jet li does in this movie recemple the most? ( except the scenes where he does this western boxing thing, LOL he looked funny jumping around like that!)
    no, seriously.

RENEGADE_MONK Guest
    Wu Shu!!

Lost_Disciple Guest
    The style that he was SUPPOSED to be studying was My Johng.
    I thought his jumping around was pathetic. My San Da friend can't sit around watching it without busting a gut. The worst thing, is that a lot of people think that is what the footwork for western boxing and kickboxing is supposed to look like.

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

Black_Talon Guest
    I'm not too sure, but one thing I do know....it's a da.mn good movie!

Some may boast of prowess bold,
    Of the school they think so grand,
    But there's a Spirit, can ne'er be told,
    It's the Spirit of Aggieland

------------------
    ------------------
    UT Unlimited, your premier mapping site!
    Ace82@unrealism.com
    UT Unlimited

chen zhen Guest
    whats my jhong or whatever you called it? never heard about it.
    yeah, i know that the "footwork" :rolleyes: didnt look like western boxing, but it looked funny! ‰

Fist of Legend

In the movie, there is a scene where Jet Li is fighting the guy he was raised with, the guy who was running the school, because that guy got jealous of him. In this one part of the fight scene Jet changes to a different stance, and starts hopping around similar to a boxer. Was that an actual style of KUng Fu? If so, which one?

I interpreted that scene as a tribute to Bruce Lee, who incorporated a lot of boxing techs into his fighting, and who also made a movie version of the same story. Bruce's version is called The Chinese Connection.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I thought it had something to do with Bruce Lee.

If Jet had started doing those chicken-like sounds that Bruce Lee did in his movies I would have been ROFL

Thumbs up

me too : )
    it's a cool movie with some cool action.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Actually, one perspective is that the "neutral" stance that Li takes for most of the movie was to reflect the changes in MA that Li's character experienced from his travelling. Karate, western boxing, Muay Thai, etc. all influenced Li's character and through this experience, he adapts to his opponents to defeat them -- the neutral stance allows him to conceal what he's going to do. His opponents, however, stick to rigid forms of kung fu and karate and therefore, he can easily dominate them. The exception being the Japanese general, who can fight just like Li's character.

And the dubbed version of the movie is horrible, with incredible inaccuracies in translations. If you watch the subtitled version, there is some dialogue that clarifies these points.

enlightenment

Fmann that's a great point. I figured it's be a tribute to jeet kune do and bruce, and also reflective of the traditionalist caracter of Li's opponent.

Man what a great flick.

That hopping is no doubt a tribute Bruce Lee.

also, going along with fmann, that fighting stance was with the movie's "old vs new" theme, like when Chen was doing jump rope and pushups.

I heard from somewhere, probably a website, that was how Chinese sparring was actually done, hopping back and forth.(??)

Wasn't there a scene earlier in the movie where Jet fought a Western boxer? Then he used the same stance work he witnessed in that fight when fighting his fellow student?

It would be nice it it were a Bruce tribute!
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

No, he didn't fight a western boxer, unless the movie I saw they edited it out.