Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what are people views on Bruce Lee?

fish Guest

what are people views on Bruce Lee?

hi all, i'm new
    Wwhat do you all think of Bruce, comming from a kung fu and philosophy point of view?. i know that a lot of people don't like his jeet kune do,
    anyway jus curious
    thanks

fish

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    My view of Lee Siu Long (Bruce Lee) is that he is highly over rated. Sure he may have trained hard, but did he train "smart"? Did he know anything about internal training, did he bring anything new to martial arts? It doesn't seem like it.

Because he was the first real martial arts star in the west, he is idolized by many people.

Tekarius Guest
    Paul I disagree with you, you said that does he know anything about internal training, well I think his 1 inch punch explains it. I'm not too sure when you said did he trained "smart"?
    just giving my opinion dude. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

internal training

i have seen a picture of him breaking bricks with a phoenix eye stike, thats pretty strong internal and external training.

but i agree with paul... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Bruce Lee, internal? I dont think so...

How come he lived to such a ripe old age? How come he was burned out and in such poor health? It seems like he understood simple physical and external training, but none of the techniques you mentioned require any internal power.

Tekarius Guest
    But Paul do you think Bruce Lee is a good fighter and do you think he knows whats he's doing or do you think he's more show.

bricks with a phoenix eye strike?

****....... that's hardcore. and what's this about him knowing nothing of the internal? i read a biography that had his wife linda stating that he meditated several hours a day. and i wouldn't go so far as to say he was in poor shape. look at him in "enter the dragon", which was completed just before he died. seems to be in pretty good shape to me..... his abs looked like potatoes! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"Where choice is set between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence...... I prefer to use arms in defense of honor rather than remain the vile witness of dishonor"

Mohandas Gandhi

David Guest

meditation

I think his meditation was more in line with "I'm the greatest I'm the greatest I'm famous Everybody loves me I'm the greatest" idea than "Aummmm, I'mm inn tunnne wiiith theeee uunniiiveeeerrrrrrrsssse" kinda thing.

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
    -- Hong Kong Phooey

fish Guest

humm

interesting.
    personally i think he has to be one of the best martial artists ever, with execptions to some of the grandmasters etc. Has anyone read the tao of jeet kune do... i love it

fish

denali Guest
    There is a difference between external appearance and internal health.

Look at competition bodybuilders for example-- they appear to be in amazing physical shape, but while competing are actually in poor condition and some even kill themselves as a result of their diets and dehydration..

Jimbo Guest
    Have to agree with denali's post.

The appearance of being in top physical shape and physical conditioning, and just plain being in prime health, are two things that can be very different.

Bruce Lee, at least in his pre-martial arts movie years, trained very hard. But so had a lot of the experts and masters, only their stories haven't been told and retold the world over. And many of the older masters had tested their fighting resolve, armed or unarmed, in battlefield/wartime conditions.

Me? I think Bruce Lee was definitely legit as far as possessing true kung fu and other skill. IMO he was a real expert, although not necessarily a top authority on any single one of the arts he drew from. I think he was still developing as a martial artist, and was not yet a so-called "master."

As far as internal/external training, I won't comment on Bruce Lee's knowledge, but I will say that he often contradicted himself. He would openly call internal training and meditation "mystical mumbo-jumbo" then on his own emphasize meditation for himself (Dan Inosanto himself stated this). He would talk about the virtues of the man who does not seek fame, but peace within himself. But then he ended up putting the pursuit of fame above almost all else, and seemed NOT to have been a very peaceful person within himself while alive.

He also had a weird type of electrical machine he would plug himself into to exercise his muscles with shocks. I don't care who you are, this cannot be anything but bad for the nervous system, as our bodies our controlled by naturally-occurring electrical impulses from the brain. This might have worsened any possible predisposition for epilepsy, though I'm not a doctor and I can't say for certain.

Lastly, he did eat cannabis that was cooked into brownies. He felt cannabis helped him relax, but he though smoking it was bad for the health, so eating it in brownies was healthier. When I first learned of this I was shocked, because I had always thought he was a health nut.

Maybe I will **** people off with this post, but it doesn't mean any disrespect to Lee, only to point out he was human and not perfect. There are some people who actually tried to compare Bruce Lee and his influence to that of Jesus Christ, which is crazy. Besides, I think Lee would have scoffed at people trying to worship him, copy him, and hang on his every word without following their own hearts.
    Jim

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    I agree with David, Denali, and Jimbo. Bruce Lee's physique is phenomenal, nobody can doubt that. I don't know too much about his personality, but it does seem that he was pretty egoistic, and did not know about real meditation.

If you compare him to real masters, I don't think he can stand in their shadows, but in America, he was probably one of the top guys around.

I didn't know about his cannabis habits either. Pretty shocking, but perhaps it was for medicinal purposes since it was taken in it's natural buffered state. I'm not sure what side effects, if any, come from eating cannabis leaves. I know that you can chew a small amount of cocoa leaves to appease hunger, pain, and fatigue, with little or no side effects. Perhaps this is the same ide

Serpent Guest
    Cannabis is well recognised for it's medicinal purposes. There are a lot of people that will attest to this, such as terminally ill patients (cancer, AIDS, etc.) that live with constant pain and maintain that the only way to ease the pain is using cannabis. A lot of these people will make a tea out of it rather than smoking it for health reasons.

The majority of the health risk from pot is smoking and all the associated problems. Ingesting it is much less harmful and, as far as I know, there are no specifics to it's detrimental effects beyond what's known from smoking it. But remember, alcohol kills braincells (like pot does) and it wrecks your liver, which pot doesn't, yet anyone will attest to the proof that a little alcohol can actually be good for you. Most doctors will tell heart arrest patients (once they are recovered) to drink one glass of wine a day. A lot of old people maintain that "one bottle of stout a day" is the secret to longevity. It's the over use and abuse of alcohol that's bad.

The same goes for pot. If anything, it's less harmful than alcohol (if you don't smoke it) but people freak at the idea because it's illegal. There is a very valid argument for the legalisation of pot for medicinal purposes. We're all into the idea of herbs, aren't we? We all use dit da jow, right? It's just another herb.

If Bruce Lee was toking back on foot long reefers every night and sharing bucket bongs with his buddies, then you could be forgiven for your concern (although it was the 70's!) But, a little for relaxation is no bad thing. Besides, Bruce Lee first started eating a little pot because he got terrible headaches (big surpirse in his stress filled life) and he found that pot was one of the only things that helped. It was one of those headaches, combined with an allergic reaction to analgesic because of it, that eventually killed him.

Go figure - it's a shame no one managed to convince him to just chill out a bit

drugs seem to be in jkd.

well even paul vunak does lots of cocain so ive been told. maybe thats why the jkd clan are so ripped and fast.

peace

Black Jack Guest
    Was that some type of joke statement about Paul Vunack Fierce Tiger?

Because if it was, it was not even close to funny and in very bad taster, I would just love to see you say that to his face instead of from your safe computer seat.

Ever hear of slander?

Regards