Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: what are people views on Bruce Lee?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if bruce lee was so great, why did he marry his student?
    WYF does marrying your student have to do with ANYTHING?

So called "Masters" have been bullspitting the American public for decades with so-called, and oft times made up, "protocols" to use and abuse students' minds, bodies and wallets.

If you want to revel in fantasies and myths, be my guest.

-jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    WYF does marrying your student have to do with ANYTHING?

it has to do with abusing students minds, bodies and wallets.
    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    doesn't the opportunity for an Asian man to marry a blonde white American woman trump the "do not marry your student" statute of the Kung Fu Code?
    it is only allowed if you divorce and take half of her monays.
    Last edited by bawang; 06-30-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    I marry to my student too.

The first time that I touched her hand, she didn't wash her hands for 3 days, That's called "LOVE".

One time I took her to China. We were walking in Beijin and holding hand. Two guys behind us said:

A: What's the situation here?
    B: He must be her tour guide.
    A: How come a Chinese tour guide holds an American girls hand?
    B: He must be her 三陪(San Pei) tour guide (tour guide who also provides sex service).

After that day, I no longer hold my wife's hand when we walk in China. I told her, "It's bad enough to be down graded from your husband position to just a tour guide. To be even down graded to a male prostitute will hurt my macho image big time".

Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-30-2012 at 08:53 PM.

What are people views on Bruce Lee ?

What ' s wrong with marrying his student ? There's nothing wrong with that . Only when you marry your mom , then that ' s something is wrong .

the american reason is some female students may have vulnerable personalities, as a kung fu instructor you are in a position of power and authority. the chinese reason is you can find more white women with asian fetishes. it is assumed if you have to resort to sleeping with your white student, you are a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I marry to my student too.

The first time that I touched her hand, she didn't wash her hands for 3 days, That's called "LOVE".

we have different views on morality and you wont understand where i am coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post

If you want to revel in fantasies and myths, be my guest.
    as opposed to bruce lee, with his steroid muscles ,high pitched monkey screams, using structure and alignment to defeat the big bad strong bully.

the path of bruce lee is a great delusion. it leads to the grave. i understand his pain growing up in america, and what he had to do to achieve success. but i dont look up to him.
    Last edited by bawang; 06-30-2012 at 10:31 PM.

At the end of his day, Bruce was a good fellow. He is not perfect in terms of this and that. And he is certainly not the best of martial art and other subjects. But the philosophy of JKD has influenced many people positively in various aspects of their life. It is the heart of JKD. When it is applied to Bruce's martial art, it becomes a JFJKD. When it is applied to car driving, it becomes car driving JKD, etc.

KC
    Hong Kong

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    [QUOTE=bawang;1176486]the american reason is some female students may have vulnerable personalities, as a kung fu instructor you are in a position of power and authority. the chinese reason is you can find more white women with asian fetishes. it is assumed if you have to resort to sleeping with your white student, you are a failure.

oh..but if you're a white Sifu, it's ok, right?
    cool.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

It is a No No for student and teacher to have a love affair in tradition Chinese culture. There is tons of wisdom in it from today's POV. Teacher-student relation and lover-relation are very difficult to be balanced. Perhaps that is why direct family relatives find it hard to do training together as in a teacher and student relation. IMHO, today this is not always a No No. If both persons are adult, it could possibly work.

KC
    Hong Kong

9. My Dad used to take my brother and I to watch Bruce Lee movies as kids,sometimes two movies back-to-back,this was 30 +years ago,I was an absolute fan,learnt about kung fu etc.....then I grew Up!

I dont think an under 30 practitioner is martially mature enough to knock "Classical' and Traditional systems as being a mess/redundant etc.

I honestly feel that masters like Lum Wing Fay(Jook Lum Mantis) or Wang Shu Jin (Bagua,Hsing yi,Taiji) should have knocked the upstart to kingdom come...but then again he would have been too small and unimportant a fish for them to have bothered!
    The "Old" Yang style of Taiji
    Hakka Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakua4581 View Post
    My Dad used to take my brother and I to watch Bruce Lee movies as kids,sometimes two movies back-to-back,this was 30 +years ago,I was an absolute fan,learnt about kung fu etc.....then I grew Up!

I dont think an under 30 practitioner is martially mature enough to knock "Classical' and Traditional systems as being a mess/redundant etc.

I honestly feel that masters like Lum Wing Fay(Jook Lum Mantis) or Wang Shu Jin (Bagua,Hsing yi,Taiji) should have knocked the upstart to kingdom come...but then again he would have been too small and unimportant a fish for them to have bothered!
    I've heard a few versions, but my understanding is that Lum Wing Fay saw something in the young upstart, which is why he allowed Mark Foon to teach him a bit of Jook Lum.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Hrm

Sometimes these threads are so difficult to get through without either laughing for weeping for the future of Kung Fu.

Like a lot of westerners I grew up idolizing Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. In the 1970tys those were the guys who were the ambassadors of Chinese martial arts. That was before I actually started learning Chinese Boxing. I have waxed and waned on my opinions of Bruce throughout my life. I have known people who have known him, I have Kung Fu brothers who trained in legit JDK. Still to this day Bruce is of monumental interest to me.

From personal off the record conversations I have gathered this: It all (in my opinion) boils down to a fight that Bruce Lee had in defense of a challenge. There are many stories and theories about that particular fight but in a real life (not being there) aspect, one fact emerges to be completely true. Both the men involved lives were changed radically.

Bruce Lee went into a more external washed down version of Kung Fu that borrowed from many other martial concepts, because he thought that Wing Chun was too slow. And Jack Man went into internal training probably for the iron shirt aspects but I am not positive of that.

This tells me a lot about Bruce Lee and how he died. He could have been a master if it wasn't for his ego. He could have lived to be much older if he had not let what he knows get in the way of what is. Mediation is the foundation of internal knowledge. But in any southern kung fu system there are entire styles of internal training that go with any given system. At least in my experience and in that I have practiced 5 different southern kung fu systems.

Even Bruce Lee's Wing Chun doesn't appear to have what the system I practices is called the “Lower Bell”. He doesn't ever use the default Wing Chun stance work, he uses a great deal of Sil Lum stance's which is fine. But not the way that his teacher Yip Man taught Wing Chun.

Bruce Lee was a victim of Hollywood and his own ego. Once he became a star his ability to continue learning seems to have been stumped. I have heard many things about Yip Man and Bruce Lee's relationship. Most of them are not painted in the best light.

As far as I am concerned Bruce Lee's lack of knowledge into the internal is what killed him. He often did not sleep, he would push his external body beyond its limits and in the end his life did not come close to the very documented evidence about the virtues of qigong in daily life.

As far as I am concerned Bruce Lee is a tragedy of Media and and his own legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ng Jit View Post
    Bruce Lee went into a more external washed down version of Kung Fu that borrowed from many other martial concepts, because he thought that Wing Chun was too slow. And Jack Man went into internal training probably for the iron shirt aspects but I am not positive of that.

This tells me a lot about Bruce Lee and how he died. He could have been a master if it wasn't for his ego. He could have lived to be much older if he had not let what he knows get in the way of what is. Mediation is the foundation of internal knowledge. But in any southern kung fu system there are entire styles of internal training that go with any given system. At least in my experience and in that I have practiced 5 different southern kung fu systems.

Even Bruce Lee's Wing Chun doesn't appear to have what the system I practices is called the “Lower Bell”. He doesn't ever use the default Wing Chun stance work, he uses a great deal of Sil Lum stance's which is fine. But not the way that his teacher Yip Man taught Wing Chun.

Bruce Lee was a victim of Hollywood and his own ego. Once he became a star his ability to continue learning seems to have been stumped. I have heard many things about Yip Man and Bruce Lee's relationship. Most of them are not painted in the best light.

As far as I am concerned Bruce Lee's lack of knowledge into the internal is what killed him. He often did not sleep, he would push his external body beyond its limits and in the end his life did not come close to the very documented evidence about the virtues of qigong in daily life.

As far as I am concerned Bruce Lee is a tragedy of Media and and his own legion.
    You were doing fine until you spewed this utter ****ing hogwash BS. You say his stuff was watered-down, I say he took out all the crap out that was in traditional martial arts. He found certain techniques were far more efficient for real combat and not senseless pre-arranged air fighting, that looks more like dancing and less like fighting.

There is no real difference between internal and external, no matter what you want to believe. Such fantasy-fu is utter nonsense, and a huge waste of time when it comes to fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ng Jit View Post
    Sometimes these threads are so difficult to get through without either laughing for weeping for the future of Kung Fu.

Like a lot of westerners I grew up idolizing Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. In the 1970tys those were the guys who were the ambassadors of Chinese martial arts. That was before I actually started learning Chinese Boxing. I have waxed and waned on my opinions of Bruce throughout my life. I have known people who have known him, I have Kung Fu brothers who trained in legit JDK. Still to this day Bruce is of monumental interest to me.

From personal off the record conversations I have gathered this: It all (in my opinion) boils down to a fight that Bruce Lee had in defense of a challenge. There are many stories and theories about that particular fight but in a real life (not being there) aspect, one fact emerges to be completely true. Both the men involved lives were changed radically.

Let's be honest here. How often do you meet MAists who don't have a big ego to some degree or other? And keep in mind that BL only lived to 32. He was still a very young man. But even that's not always the real factor. I've met 80+year-old MAists whose big egos had not diminished over the years.

I've also seen some old "internal" masters who, in spite of their lifelong training, had severely diminished physical and mental capacities, and some other old people who never trained any kind of nei-gong or related training who were fit as a fiddle and mentally lucid well into their 90s. Other things factor in: Attitude in life, lifestyle, genetic makeup, and sometimes simply plain luck.

IMO, "internal" training definitely has its place, but it is not some superhuman panacea that results in perfect human beings.

Greetings,

"As far as I am concerned Bruce Lee is a tragedy of Media....."

There may be more than a little bit of truth to this. Bruce Lee was an avid reader.

It took a flip through John McCallum's "Keys to Progress" to figure out that Bruce sucked up every article the guy put out. I came away from the book thinking that those articles helped put Bruce Lee in his grave. In this regard, Bruce may have been a bit lacking in critical thinking. Given the lack of information available at the time about real training, he did not have anything else to generate that kind of objectivity. Most of those bodybuilding magazines made their real money by selling equipment and supplements. "Absorb what is useful" is something that Bruce Lee taught; in practice, I sense that if he believed that it was useful, he absorbed it.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 07-05-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    I say he took out all the crap out that was in traditional martial arts. He found certain techniques were far more efficient for real combat and not senseless pre-arranged air fighting, that looks more like dancing and less like fighting.
    i agree with you about "he doesnt have the real internal" is stupid, but to be the devils advocate, all he knew was wing chun, and some northern forms he learned in 1 week.

i lost respect for him after i learned about him taking steroids.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-05-2012 at 11:22 AM.