Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your own theory of internal Martial Arts?

For me, I teach the same way I was taught:

get the solo set right first.

Talking My way of Teaching.

Very good Replys."

Monkey Slap Too: What is your approach?

My Approach to teaching a student relates to their mindset and phycsical work capacity in the following areas:

Strength, Cardiovascular function, muscular efficiency and comprehension level."

I would train a student first in standing chi Kung postures, a student training under me will learn first hand what stllness is all about by practicing it, not just reading theory about. I will train a student in standing Yi Chuan postures for at least ten minutes to half an hour each posture.

In my style of Yin BaGua We have 15 Yi Chuan postures. Most styles of BaGua only practice 8. The Yi Chuan postures are necessary for the students to build up the strength and muscular endurance of their legs and arms. With long time practice they postures will be natural and they mind will be calm and unified with they posture.

Step two is when I teach a student Chi Kung Sets with a general introduction to chi principles and theory in order for them to understand chi kung, the first set I teach a student is easy to understand and learn and practice on their own.

The Moving form of Chi Kung I teach a student is known as the taoist ten warm ups. This is a very simple moving Chi Kung set that I learn from Master B. P. Chen. This Moving form of Chi Kung develop the large muscles, and loosen all the joints of the human body.

After a student is in better physical condition I will then teach them more Chi Kung sets to increase their health and physical condition. Other chi kung sets I will teach my students will be Do Mo Wai Dan exercises and a lot of Yin Style Wai Dan exercises to build up the Chi(energy) at the wrist and palms.

When a student have learned and complete all the sets, I will then teach them the 8 mother palms of Yin style BaGuaZhang. Afther learning the 8 mother palms a student may begin to learn other forms of BaguaZhang.

but most of the time I will first teach a student William C. C. Chen form of Yang style Tai Chi. So that my students can learn how to relax in their movements. I then will teach them William C. C. Chen form of freestyle push hands(tui Shou) as I learned the method from him. After a student is good at sticking and know how to neutralize, evade and develop their sensitivity to a good level.

I then move them on to Kung Fu traditional body conditioning exercises:

Two man Conditioning, solo Post training, palm training.and iron shirt Chi kung auxiliary traning.(Impact training many ways of training this method)

I then will teach a student San Shou Freefighting , first a student will start training martial techniques and applications in a set way. Then they will teach theirself how to skillfully utilize they martial techniques unrehash in freefighting.(sparring)

If I have a timid student most of the time I teach them the five fist of Hsing YI and some Taoist sitting meditation methods. I then will teach a timid student the Ann Shen Pau Hsing YI two man form. Most timid students that I had , after learing this form mindset have become combative. They timid attitude was no more.

Anyway this is a example of how I would teach and some methods of what I teach.

Peace All, practice and live long.

Thumbs up cool reply

Just A Man)what do you think ?

I think you have a good teaching method. Good reply. As everybody teaching method reply was practical and good information about their own personal knowledge.

peace,

I also think you have a good regimen, theblacktaoist, but my question is why do you go off in different directions so early in the training?

I ask this question not because I think it's wrong, but because my sifu and I practice only one style and have enough trouble mastering just THAT.

The friend who wants to learn chi kung gets his first lesson in standing still, with emphasis on correct structural posture.That's it for him, until he returns with a demonstratable ability to stand still 'holding' the structure for 3 minutes. The second lesson involves me deliberately rearranging his posture to an 'incorrect alignnment'. He must readjust it to the correct form and hold it still.Then he goes away, not to come back till he can stand still for six minutes. IF he returns, we go on.
    The friend who wants to learn 'internal fighting' is asked to throw a punch of any variety from any position. I knock him down hard. The ground is also hard. I then explain that if he wants to learn 'fighting' he must be okay with more than a little pain. If he says he is (he will) we continue along those same lines for the first class. He fights with what he knows and I counter with internal style techniques that tend to knock him down. If he returns for another lesson we begin some instruction in form, structural alignment, and more fighting.
    I don't talk much at all about 'chi' with a beginner, because it makes one talk too much.
    Peace.

styles.

Huang Kai Vun)but because my sifu and I practice only one style and have enough trouble mastering just THAT.

BT) I teach different forms of internal Kung Fu, because I have met and learned from a lot of good Chinese masters of the internal martial arts. Also I wanted to explore and learn other methods of the internal.

My first internal Sifu Rudy Curry Jr. would always say: It is best to expand your mind to new methods and combine them with already established skills. Never limited yourself to one method, Grasp whatever you can, be open-minded about everything.

And this is how I teach my students. I tell them learn what you want to learn, but never close your mind to something different.

Peace.

TBT, Do you keep the arts seperate at this point, or are you pretty much teaching "Your understanding of fighting according to Chinese methods?"

i.e., is it better to be effective in combat, or pure in style?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Wink

A very insightful question WD.

I think it may be a key point in understanding many of our different view points here.

TBT, this has been one of the better threads
    enjoy life

Lightbulb Chinese Methods

W-D) TBT, Do you keep the arts seperate at this point, or are you pretty much teaching "Your understanding of fighting according to Chinese methods?"

B-T) I teach the internal arts seperate, because in my experience practicing any one of the three internal arts, practitioner mind set will not be the same as if he was just practicing one internal method, and the expression of enery is definitely a big difference in all three internal arts.

My Method of teaching Chinese methods is to test the theory and application of a Chinese internal method in a human living encountering existence.

By training in push hands and unrehash freefighting to explore the already established Chinese theorys and Applications and create better more practical fighting tactics and methods of combat. I'm not a slave of one internal style as many are today. I like to call myself a internal theory experimentalist. So my comprehension level of understanding of Chinese methods is high. because I test the theory and methods out in many real situations.

I try to help my students to become they own sage of living existence. There is no time for being old fashioned. One must progress.

W-D) i.e., is it better to be effective in combat, or pure in style?

It is better to practice a practical form of combat to manifest a pure style in my opinion.

Peace

a few standing postures and stances for half a year, then one good form for a year. i would have the person who wanted to learn for health practice standing postures and stances for a year instead of half, though.

without proper foundation in stances/postures it's hard to teach a real form properly. bad habits are hard to shake.

"Internal theory experimentalist"

Nicely said BT.
    "The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai

Yeah, good stuff. It's a little different than I approach training, but I like your style TBT.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I have actually run into simialar situations, TBT. To answer your questions, I would teach both of them the same things. I believe that Taiji as a martial art must begin with the foundation of qigong, and I also believe that for Taiji to reach its zenith as far as healing is concerned, that the martial side must be learned as well.

I have a student who is quite Yin in nature. Not exactly timid, but not nearly as aggressive as I would like for him to be. I had him practice a method called "The Goats Butting Heads," with me. In this exercise, you begin by having your partner run at you and you must use P'eng to redirect the force and bounce him away. Then you progress to using Ji to do this. And finally, both of you are using a posture similar to Fair Lady Works Shuttles to bounce each other away. The thing about his exercise is that it teaches you to deal with incoming force that you must stop or else you will definitely be hit. It seemed to raise his Yang energy a bit. But he was still pretty timid during other training methods like Da Lu, afraid that if he hit me he would hurt me. After a few minutes of demanding him to do so, I got him to slap me hard in the face, and I said, "See? I don't mind getting hit. I'm not going to get angry if you hit me, and it's not going to hurt that bad." He relaxed a bit, and from then on used a little more power.

When it comes to teaching the stuff, I try to present theory along with application, to show them why both in theory and in aplication they must do things this way.

bleh I'm bored so I guess I'll post and I see Bamboo_leaf is here so he might flame me cause I "write to well for a 15 year old". Ok anyways it's not like chi theory doesn't work in a fight but the chances of you coming across someone w/ super skills in hsing-i, xingyi, tai chi in 2002 is preeetttty unlikely. the internal stuff takes years of practise to get to work so a lot of people just transform what they know to suit them. some people i know say that they think tai chi is b.s. cause you can't beat up someone else w/ total relaxation. u gotta put muscle in blah blah blah. it makes sense to me but in my opinion they haven't worked hard enough and long enough for it.

some ppl on other forums say tho that hsing-i is the fastest one to show results combat wise. some guy claimed that he's scrawny but after a few months(or was it years?) of training he could send a 200lbs or so punchin bag flying back. sounds pretty amazing....
    - "Why should the marathon go to the swift? Or the jumble to the quick witted? Because god gave them their GIFTS? Well I say CHEATING is the gift man gives himself!" - Monty Burns

Wink

No flame from the leaf.

It seems that there is a lot of commonality from what I have been reading only different at the end points and maybe not so much there either.

Sam,

can you explain a little more on.

Bouncing, stopping, power?

this seems very different from what I would characterize as the use of TC.

enjoy life