Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for wah lum people part II

Art, Wallace, Tracy, Sean, Pablo, and Tom. All got too big to have a teacher like Master Chan. Now some call themselves "Master", so they must be, who can tell? Wah Lum's loss? Or their own? Time and behavior will tell. Till then the rest of us can try and improve in miniscule increments.

18elders

apparently your techniques do not work if you, as you say, hit the hell out of one another. if they did, you wouldn't need the whole set! i do not misunderstand what you are saying. you are saying that you train the techniques of your style in as realistic manner as possible. what you evidently do not unerstand about what i am saying is that however worthy the drill, it is not the real thing. i train apps just as you do but because what i do is not a 2 person set does not mean it is ineffective. on the contrary, it leaves the door open to innovation. if i learned the one man version of your form i could not only(conceivably) come up with the same app as the set, but also many others. i would like to know the application to elbow to toe, i undestand that the mantis hook is up and behind, but as far as application goes, power-wise i cannot understand it's effectiveness

i am quite certain that you were as taken by the previous styles that you have studied as the one you are now practicing, obviously so, atleast with WL, by the time you put in.

as far as what i teach, why is that important? are you unsure that i am qualified to hold this discussion? i know all of the people you mentioned except TT.

by the way, you always seem angry, though it is difficult to tell that through typing?

spiralstair

not all of them got too big, some did, with others i think they got tired of the game

flem

hit each other-
    when we kick we kick hard, when we hit same thing so when you block of course you're going to feel it. it's not the techn's don't work it is we do it with power behind it.

so what style do you teach?
    who was your wah lum teacher?

do i think you are qualified? Can't answer that since you won't answer any of my questions about your training history and teachers.

what students of art's do you know?

am i always angry? as long as i take my medication i'm okay.

tired of the game? explain the game.

18elders

again, i'm not puting down what you do. don't any of your blows ever go in unblocked? if no then the two of you are dancing (so to speak), if so then it should stun or injure the partner, either way it will break from the 2 man.

i don't really want to say who i am. in fact that is why my profile is the way it is. it is more, i feel as wisdom rather having so much to do with hiding anything, seeing people like CV and whoever that other one is. all someone has to do is be misunderstood here and the place goes berserk, then people as i mentioned come out of the shadows. i am very familiar w/ the WL "family", from the years that i was there. i have also studied tkd, shorin ryu karate, and northern shaolin. what do i teach? lets just say tai chi with material that looks alot like KF in it.

the game? you were there long enough to have played.

18elders,

thanks for the info on Nick Scrima's tournament! I hope I can attend.

flem,

great info on the straight form movements -- i'll try to visualize them as I practice. (Unless I can convince my training partner to let me break his arm -- you know, for educational purposes). Thanks!

Sam
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

To 18elders

18elders " empty hand forms are for a single opponent, not 3 or 4 people"

To say that empty hand forms are for single opponents is wrong.

Question #14 page 29 of my WLKF handbook states,"What does Eight - Chain Punch teach...striking multiple opponents"

In fact the very begining of 16 hands is also attacking multiple opponents.

Little Open Gate also has several instances of attacking multiple opponents. ex. moving from Cern Chung Choy to elbow attack.

You have overlooked important techniques, I suggest you go back over your earlier forms with your Sifu.

samantis

show me yours and i'll show you mine. hey, what do you think? do you have other uses of the movement? you tell me one.

snappingknee
    hanks, i forgot about that. but i think WL anything is useless to 18elders.

FLEM

Thanks for your reply.
    The student definatly has to bring oneself to the training.
    They either make or break their experience.
    I agree that in class all out and the real fight are two different things. HOWEVER, I do think that the training will prepare one for the real thing. Furthermore the more diligent the practice one does, the closer he/she will come to using their techniques in a fight. Basically they will not revert back to "kickboxing."
    Of course, the techniques will not be exactly like one practices in forms.
    If all training goes (techniques) go out the door in the real thing, why train at all?

Also, I never implied that you danced in your two man sets. and it wasn't intended that way either.

Why does it matter if I'm a Pong Lai person or not?
    "Grow through Pain." - Tainan Mantis

FLEM

My Shr fu was trained using two man sets/ drill/ knocking the crap out of one another. I can attest that he can use his techniques in "the real thing."

snappingknee

16 hands-
    did you ever think the guy blocked and got behind you making you change your direction?

18elders

perhaps if all one knows is 16 hands then it may be possible to get behind them. but for someone with experience it is just impracticle to practice, unless of course by practicing it you become quicker or something. i can tell you this, you're not getting behind me without a ninja smoke bomb!

joemantis

have you seen your shrfu in a fight, or are you drawing conclusions based on his skill in class? i am not putting him down, i don't even know him, i am suggesting that no matter how realistic your training seems it is just training. 2 person sets are fine, my point about my not dancing was simply to illustate that i have experienced them full blast, have hit and been hit doing them and i have also been hit in freestyle environment - and of the two it was the latter that i feel is both indespensable and far lacking in most classes( due mostly to liability probably, and that participation will likely diminish quickly).
    also, i said before but i did not ellaborate on, during my time in WL the most skilled practitioners were often, and probably still are, seen as the best or most skilled practitioner. people often have the belief that because one is awesome in forms that they must also be awesome in fighting - but that is not always the case. also along the same lines are those who appear as though they are tough- anyway i know from experience that it is often the poindexter, the guy that doesn't make alot of "noise" who is often a highly skilled fighter. it would be easy to use names to explain this but that would be wrong.

FLEM

I think you and I are talking about the same stuff. The real thing is the real thing, no matter how close to realistic training is.
    I agree that if one is good in forms does not mean that they can fight. Example, WL. There are a lot of great forms guys in that system.

I think that where we differ is the training and the how to achieve the use of one's kung fu. Obviously it is possible because people have been doing it for thousands of years.

How do you train your students to use their kung fu if/when in a fight? As a teacher I'm assuming that this is your goal for your students. Do you train your students to use their techniques of your system, or do you revert to basic punching and kicking "kickboxing" when it comes to the fighting aspect?

Furthermore as an experienced practioner I also assume that you can tell someone's MARTIAL ability by the way they move.

18elders

16hands-- No one on this earth can block a thrown punch and move 180' to my backside in the 1/3rd of a second it takes to complete the movement. If you can actually visualize this, or better yet accomplish it, you should start your own art. Could you teach me those moves I saw in the Matrix??? I can see your point from the change in stance/punch in a 90' movement but not a 180' movement. If you disagree offer a detailed explanation.