Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: taiji as an internal part of your system.

Valraven Guest
    They don't call it the Supreme Ultimate for nothing!
    If you understand taiji principles you can do any
    kung fu form slow and "taiji-like" for chi development.
    Ch'ang Style Taiji Chuan is a perfect example of combining internal/external furies.
    Valraven-

[This message was edited by Valraven on 11-06-00 at 11:36 AM.]

Braden Guest
    Slowness has nothing to do with internal training.

Check out Longquan's post above.

thunder fist Guest
    fierce tiger,
    every southern system builds internal strenght, sometime in ther training. even pak mei kung fu.

meltdawn Guest

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thunderfist, pleeeeeeease don't get fierce started on pak mei!!!!!!

Meltdawn

David Guest

are all hairs to be split?

Braden,

Slowness is useful in itself. The internal training of slow taiji is easier to examine realtime than the faster internals of kung fu.

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
    -- Hong Kong Phooey

Longquan Guest

If you do not understand...

If you do not understand my previous post, you are practicing tai chi with slowed-down waijia mechanics--"shaolin taichi."

I use the terms neijia and waijia because they have very specific meanings. The common statement, "all arts start differently and end the same" is bs. If you practice neijia (xingyi, bagua, taichi,etc.) you are developing neijin. If you practice waijia, you are developing the jin specific to those arts. Hard and soft is not synonymous with internal/external (ie. Xingyi is neither slow or soft).

Are some arts both? Maybe. Piguazhang and bajiquan come to mind. Possibly Bai He (white crane sp?).

Bottom Line: Practicing neijia in an "external" manner is not going to develop neijin. The "Internal" arts are for power development, not qigong. Practice your style's qigong--don't practice *******ized taichi.

<HTML>"To the
    Buddhist, "To be or not
    to be" is not the
    question. The question
    is whether or not you
    can transcend these
    notions."

Thich Nhat Hanh
    </HTML>

Braden Guest
    David - Taiji IS kungfu. Taiji is not necessarily slow. Non-taiji kungfu is not necessarily fast.

Slowness is a training tool used by all sorts of systems, typically to allow the practitioner to focus on getting a number of postural and movement details right; ones that they wouldn't be able to get while doing quickly.

Check out Longquan's post just above this one, it explains it perfectly.

phantom Guest
    Longquan, quite a few sifus have told me that you really need to master an external art before you can learn an internal one, because the external art will help prepare your body for the internal. What do you have to say about this? Somebody also once told me that if you know both internal and external arts, you should practice the internal arts first, early in the morning. If you practice external first and then internal, it will be a strain on your heart. Is this true? Also, I have read that some chi kungs are detrimental to one another. So, which chi kungs should not be done in the same day?

Longquan Guest

Practicing Neijia

<HTML>
    phantom wrote: "quite a few sifus have told me that you really need to master an external art before you can learn an internal one, because the external art will help prepare your body for the internal. What do you have to say about this?"

The sifu who made the above statement undoubtedly practiced an external art first and foremost--a proponent of slow-moving shaolin taichi.

Proper training in an internal art is as strenuous in neijia art as waijia. Neijia have their own forms of "basic training" to develop the requisite strength (ie. standing postures).
    Very little of the strength developed in the practice of waijia will apply to neijia. If you are interested in the neijia arts, practice them. If you are interested in waijia, practice them. Please read my above posts again. If you master external power (jin) and decide to develop neijin, it will take you as long as a beginner in the neijia.

"Somebody also once told me that if you know both internal and external arts, you should practice the internal arts first, early in the morning. If you practice external first and then internal, it will be a strain on your heart. Is this true?"

Practicing anything too much is detrimental. Getting right out of bed and going through a hundred lines of xingyi is probably not good for you. Again, another external MA statement.

"Also, I have read that some chi kungs are detrimental to one another. So, which chi kungs should not be done in the same day?"

I will leave this one for someone else to answer. I hold really different opinions on martial qigong...

longquan88@hotmail.com

"To the Buddhist, "To be or not to be" is not the question. The question is whether or not you can transcend these notions."

Thich Nhat Hanh
    </HTML>

[This message was edited by Longquan on 11-09-00 at 02:14 PM.]

Braden Guest
    Longquan - I'd love to hear your opinions on martial qigong. If you would like to email me, please feel free to send a message to little_spotted_dog@hotmail.com

Best wishes.

Longquan Guest

Email sent.

Braden ckeck your hotmail.

"To the Buddhist, "To
    be or not to be" is not
    the question. The
    question is whether or
    not you can transcend
    these notions."

Thich Nhat Hanh