Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiit

Hiit

I just read the artical located at HIIT someone posted it in another thread. What I am wondering is has anyone ever tried to do this? I am wondering if it is really that good.

I posted the link, and it's pretty much all I do now. I do two sessions like that each week. Two sessions where the rest intervals (active restoration) and activity intervals are the same. Then I do one session of a light 20-30 minute jog. I've never seen faster gains in my endurance on the mat.

Hiit?

Hi all,

I've been away from the forums and out of training (my instructor was a fraud) for a while. I was scanning some of the topics to get some new tips and I hear HIIT mentioned a bit for cardio/fat burning. I know what it means, but I'm so sure I understand how a HIIT program is set up. Can someone explain that to me? Thanks.

Take a look at this website. It explains HIIT type programs pretty well. You can use the HIIT type approach to weight lifting as well (I also developed a program for myself doing Kettlebell snatches/swings using HIIT methodology). You may also want to do a search on "Tabata protocol", as it's similar to HIIT.

Also, for maximum fatloss I would recommend doing resistance training. AND unless you're already eating clean/healthy already, I'd urge you to change your diet for maximum results.

Hope this helps,
    KG

Re: Hiit?

Originally posted by StarBoy
    Hi all,

I've been away from the forums and out of training (my instructor was a fraud) for a while. I was scanning some of the topics to get some new tips and I hear HIIT mentioned a bit for cardio/fat burning. I know what it means, but I'm so sure I understand how a HIIT program is set up. Can someone explain that to me? Thanks.
    What was up with your instructor?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

There were a quite a few things that I was suspicious of.

First of all, the style was supposed to be a MMA Japanese-based style, but I recognized a lot of Muay Thai and Mantis Kung Fu.

Second, I have a friend who is Japanese and used to study martial arts. I'd tell him about what I was learning and he told me that the Japanese language was broken and awkwardly phrased.

Third, he had practice weapons and he'd have us spar without any actual training or instruction.

Fourth, he did group lessons and private lessons. The private lessons were pretty decent, he spent half the time on kata and half the time on hand-to-hand, but the group lessons were all aerobic exercise, unguided sparring, and some basic boxing exercises.

Also, this isn't evidence of being a fraud, but all of the trophies were from local competitions. Nothing even regional. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but my previous instructor (from when I lived in CT) would have her students participate in regional, national, and even international competitions. I believe this summer she'll be taking the school to a competition in Bejing. I think you learn a lot more from a school like that.

Lastly (not fraud evidence), I didn't like going anyway because I still feel loyalty to my instructor. I'm only stuck in NY for a couple years, which will be over this summer.

I'm not making a big deal out of the fraud thing, because who knows? I could be wrong. Regardless, I think I'll just wait until I move back to CT.

And that's that.

Thanks for the HIIT lead. I read the article, and that's what I've understood so far, but the RPE scale can be a problem. I mean, what if someone is just a mental wuss?

Sorry to hear about your instructor. I hope you find another teacher soon.

As for the RPE (rate of perceived exertion) scale... well, you do what you feel you can do. A 10 one day may not be attainable the next. Of course you'd hope it's the other way around... One thing to remember is that a ten for you may be a full out sprint, while for another it may be a jog. Depends on the level of fitness you're at...

In any event, most people train themselves to become complacent and staying within their perceived limitations. They convince themselves that they can only withstand a certain amount (which may only really be 80% of their max effort) because it takes them outside of their comfort zone. The reality is that you won't be able to hit a "10" every time you do your HIIT program. It takes a certain amount of discipline to exercise in the first place. so imho someone considering a program like this would be a step ahead. (to be honest I'd do a 15-30 minute HIIT workout over an hour on a treadmill anyday!) Eventually as people adopt this form of exercise, they will break through their mental barrier. In the end I believe that HIIT type training is all about strengthening and bringing out your inner fortitude. This could of course be said for anyone adopting a healthy lifestyle...

Sorry for the rambling.
    KG
    Last edited by Kempo Guy; 01-24-2003 at 10:52 AM.

There is also a good HIIT article on www.cbass.com Look for an article with Tabata in the title. Dr Tabata did a lot of the research in regards to HIIT type training and some people refer to it as "the Tabata protocol". BTW, I wouldn't recommend HIIT training if you don't currently do a moderate amount of cardio every week.

First, how exactly does one determine the intervals? In the article posted above the max duration of a HII is 90 seconds. In other articles I read it was a few minutes.

Also, I was always under the impression that this kind of exercise burned sugars and carbs (as they can be utilized easier for high intensity workouts), not fat.

Lastly, what are some good HIIT workouts that don't require a lot (in size or price) of equipment other than running or jump rope? I worry too much about damaging my knees, so I'd like to use something like an eliptical walker or a x-country ski machine, but I move around a lot and can't really take that kind of equipment with me.

As for the RPE...
    I have to say, beautifully illustrated. Only when I am doing Wushu do I think of the mental aspect, never when I'm doing my cardio or weight training. I can see how this kind of philosophy/attitude can have more than just physical benefits that carry back over to the martial arts training.

The 'mental wuss' who went through with this exercise would have to admit that their 10 needs ramping-up eventually. That's a gain for them

I like the HIIT stuff. Don't have a programme for it, just train that way in class n stuff.

-David

Forms or shadow boxing in HIIT mode?

Does any of you have experience in doing your forms or shadow boxing in HIIT style? If so what did you think about it? Can you really reach 10 on the RPE scale like that? Maybe just beat the hell out of the heavy bag instead?

I don't think it's as effective in raising VO2 max since it isn't as demanding as other exercises.

Starboy,

That's what this article answers. Dr Tabata has done extensive research on the effects of different approaches to interval training. Short intervals at very high intensity (20 seconds) with short rest (10 seconds) were the most efficient:

http://www.cbass.com/SEARCHOF.HTM

I would think it would be difficult to design a HIIT program around doing forms/kata. Whaling on a heavybag in a HIIT fashion is probably more doable.

KG

that article is most interesting and should make for a tuff spring and summer…
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv