Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiit

Starboy,

You could do HIIT type programs with any aerobic activity. I usually either run/jog, use a kettlebell or skip rope. Sometimes I put together a HIIT program using a couple of these exercises.

There are many ways of doing HIIT. Some prefer doing a 30/30 split, i.e. 30 seconds of sprinting and 30 seconds of active recovery, which in this case would be a light jog. Of course this is pretty harsh, so many start with longer 'recovery periods' with 30 seconds of intense effort. Others (such as in the book "Body for Life"), you may use what they call a "High Point Technique", which is in essence a modified HIIT. An example of a HPT would be this:
    1st minute - level 5 intensity jog
    2nd minute - level 5 intensity jog
    3rd minute - level 6
    4th minute - level 7
    5th minute - level 8
    6th minute - level 9
    7th minute - level 6
    Keep doing this up to level 9 for three more cycles. In HPT you would only hit your 10 at the very end of a 20-minute workout.

Hope this helps.
    KG

First of all, I'm too nervous about my knees to run/jog or skip rope because I had two pretty serious injuries when I was younger and I don't want to ruin them for good. What is a kettlebell though?

Ford, thanks for the link to the article. There were some parts of it that were a bit over my head, but I got the gist of it. There was one bit that talked about the subjects VO2max (don't know what that is), but I'm guessing it's somehow related to what I read in other articles about exercising around your target heart rate. Considering that I don't take a stethescope and stopwatch to the gym, how do I work with that?

Also:

"Because volume is the key to successful aerobic training, [athletes] must perform a large number of [intervals]." (They do caution that there's an upper limit.)
    Upper limit to what? To the the number of intervals? If so, how does one determine this.

If the goal is improved aerobic and anaerobic capacity, the Tabata research suggests that intensity, carefully applied to produce maximum overload - not volume - is the key to success.
    How do I carefully apply the HIIT program properly?

Why not do both? Do forms or shadowboxing for 3 minutes, 1 minute rest, than 3 minutes heavy bag. Repeat until exhausted.
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

Premier:
    Don't you do CLF? If so I practice my CLF for some of my HIIT workouts and it works great. What I do is I warm up for 2-3 minutes, then I practice 1-2 forms back-to-back as fast as I can, with full power and I really try to get my waist in it. After this (it takes about 1-2mins) I rest for 2 minutes by practicing one of the forms really slow paying attention to detail and deep stances. I do this for about 20 minutes. Sometimes instead of forms I do techniques, hand combos, moving strikes, or kicks, flowed by the same movement slow. I also like to mix things up and sprint 50 yards 8 times and them some clf after that.

HIIT every day ?

Hey guys, just wondering, is it ok if I do this every day ? Since I have exams I don't do alot of activity, so I try to do some HIIT on our hometrainer every day, on a good day 20 minutes, other days just 5 minutes or 10 minutes .. I've been told that doing 5-10 minutes HIIT is useless btw .. care to correct that ? I just do it to do something, exams = prison ;(
    If you know of any good Sanshou movies on the web, let me know through PM !

What is HIIT?

HIIT = High Intesity Interval Training.

Apartently very good for shifting the chub and for CV endurance. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't do it everyday. You may loose a lot of weight though, which may or may not be what you want.

Well I've been doing HIIT on the bike/hometrainer, and every three days I do a workout, posted before. I always remained @ the same weight for like two months. Now suddenly I gained two kilos ! Which is good btw, because that's pure muscle, for sure I'm not overweight or something lol, I do the hit for my abs, Iron Fist stressed that if you wanted your abs to show through that low body fat was the key, and he stressed 'LOW' So I just do HIIT along with my workout, I can see 4 well defined abs now, and the botton two (yeah I know it ain't 4 different things balbla, I'm talking about the little squares ok ? ) are starting to show
    If you know of any good Sanshou movies on the web, let me know through PM !

Might lead to overtraining. 3-4x/week should be fine. What was the routine posted? Taku's or Tabata's? Thibadeau's even?

I agree with Ford. HIIT should not be done more than 3 - 4 times per week. As for recommend length per workout... I have read that it should be 15 - 20 minutes of HIIT cycles, not including warm-up and cool-down (which should be about 5min each). Of course, you do what you can.

KG

How would one do HIIT without excersize equipment? I know the routine with a bike/tread,ill/stepper ever, but without any of them what can I do? I am a poor married man (I just graduated from college and got married so I have NO money), there must be a way for me to do HIIT without any fancy equipment and weights, but I'm also too dumb to figure it out.

Thanks,

PAMantis

Here's one I'm thinking about trying:
    http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

Also you can get yourself a $10 speed rope and jump 60 seconds on/60 seconds off...etc

This is a good routine that is done jogging. Obviously you'd need a track to do 400m sprints if you wanted to...

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/251run2.html

And, btw here is some stuff about Tabata's method (pioneer of HIIT)

http://www.cbass.com/FATBURN.HTM

http://www.cbass.com/SEARCHOF.HTM

And this is TAKU's (mma.tv forum member/trainer) routine:

Always begin each workout with a 5-minute warm-up at a level of 3-4 on your R.P.E. scale. Follow this with 5 minutes at a steady pace that is just starting to get hard by the end, level 5-6 on your R.P.E. scale. And then reduce the intensity and do 5 more minutes, back to level 3-4 on your R.P.E. scale. This 15 minutes remains the same throughout the first three phases of your H.I.I.T. protocol. After this 15 minute period proceed immediately to the high intensity intervals, which will be described below. During the intervals you should be pushing hard, striving for about a level 7-10 on your R.P.E. scale. Always finish your session with a 5-minute cool-down, another level 3-4 on the R.P.E. scale.

Phase 1.
    Weeks 1 & 2 = 4 X 90 seconds work + 90 seconds recovery.
    Weeks 3 & 4 = 5 X 60 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery.

Phase 2.
    Weeks 1 & 2 = 6 X 45 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery.
    Weeks 3 & 4 = 7 X 30 Seconds work + 20 seconds recovery.

Phase 3.
    Weeks 1 & 2 = 8 X 20 seconds work + 10 seconds recovery.
    Weeks 3 & 4 = 10 X 20 seconds work + 10 seconds recovery.

The first phase will lay the foundation for the following phases. Obviously you can not sprint for 90 seconds at the same pace you can keep up for a shorter duration. Your job is to go as hard as you can for the given time specified. During recovery periods you may go as slow as you wish but DO NOT STOP MOVING!

Active recovery is always better than passive recovery and will help remove the buy-products of your anaerobic overload more effectively. Once you reach phase 3, you can remain there in maintenance mode. Avoid boredom and stale training by changing machines* every 2-3 weeks as well as continually
    striving to train at higher resistance levels on each machine.

* If you feel you are not fully recovering be sure to add extra rest days where needed. These sessions should be done 2-5 times a week, experiment to find what works best for you. Do your best to get in at least two sessions per week. If you are diligent you should start noticing an improvement right away. By the time you finish phase three you should be on your way to having a 30-gallon gas tank.

*For the H.I.I.T. portion of your training I recommend the following machines in order of my preference:
    Versa Climber.
    Air Dyne Bike.
    Elliptical walker with arm attachments.
    Rowing ergometer.
    Cross country Ski simulator.
    These machines have been selected because they work the entire body as a unit rather then just the legs alone. Although the machines mentioned are my favorites, anything will work, rope skipping, running, biking, stair-climbing etc. If you do choose running or rope skipping I recommend cross training with one of the above recommended machines to reduce the potential for overuse injuries due to the inherent impact on the joints from these activities.

Added Phase 4 to Taku...

Phase 4. (3-4 weeks peaking cycle)

Week 1 Monday & Friday = 10 X 20 seconds work + 10 seconds recovery. Week 1 Wednesday = 5 X 30 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery. 3 X 20 seconds work + 40 seconds recovery. 2 X 10 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery.

Week 2 Monday & Friday = 10 X 20 seconds work + 10 seconds recovery. Week 2 Wednesday = 5 X 30 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery. 5 X 20 seconds work + 40 seconds recovery. 5 X 10 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery.

Week 3 Monday & Friday = 10 X 20 seconds work + 10 seconds recovery. Week 3 Wednesday = 5 X 30 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery. 5 X 20 seconds work + 40 seconds recovery. 10 X 10 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery.

Week 4 Monday = 5 X 30 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery. 5 X 20 seconds work + 40 seconds recovery. 5 X 10 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery.
    Wednesday = 4 X 30 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery. 6 X 20 seconds work + 40 seconds recovery. 10 X 10 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery.
    Friday = 5 X 30 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery. 8 X 20 seconds work + 40 seconds recovery 12 X 10 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery.