Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
So, it seems that a lot of 'crosstraining' happens as a matter of circumstance and opportunity rather than as a planned diversification of skills and experience.

That's how it has been with me as well.
Yep, me too, but only to a degree: I've always looked for sparring partners from different arts. From the year dot in aikido I looked for people to test it on from other arts: boxing, goju-ryu, a shotokan derivative, other fu, tai chi, kendo, jujutsu...

Then I started chun cos it was the best option in a place I moved to where they didn't have my (then) primary art of aikido (or at least any good stuff).

Then I moved to Japan where I also can't find any decent aikido (ironically), but I am surrounded by MA not such a long way away... and ironically I have no time, so it's still a question of what I can get to when! When I had the time tho, I did seek out groundfighting and boxing to sharpen up certain skills. On occasion I also try to learn TKD kicks from my TKD teacher friend... but I suck royal arse at them, never having really practised a kicking style.