Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Training?

Pick something and stick with it until it is a part of you. Understand it and be able to use it. Usage is the heart of kung fu.

Learn from other schools by friendly fights with them.

Once you have a solid place to start from, identify your weaknesses and seek out those arts that fill them.

Otherwise your just collecting.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Follow MonkeySlap's plan, or something along those lines. YOu don't necessarily have to train in the other styles, just spar with people from those schools. Make friends with them; train with them outside of class. You will exchange techs with them, and learn things about their style by sparring with them. assimilate that which you find useful into your style.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thanks guys. I figured I'd start with the Bujinkan and see how I progress there before branching out. I'm just thinking in the future, I'd like to do more, but 4 seemed a bit much(unless it's Muay Thai, boxing and the like). At the Hsing I institute you have the option of studying all three at once and I liked that but I figured I'd be stretched really thin. Oh well, things to think about for a while. I think for now I'll stay with the Bujinkan twice a week and TaiJi on the weekends. At least then I've got two arts without too much time hassle. Maybe I can tack on more later...
    -ZC
    "Whole body become secret weapon." -Uncle explaining the benefits of Kung Fu.

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

I think MonkeySlap's idea is pretty good.

Everyone needs a base, otherwise if you react instinctively what are you going to do? Hesitate
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

Hey zen_celt

its a good question and much debated on this forum. I am quickly becoming the most outspoken proponent for not cross training. I wont go into it since in general I get jumped on like a three legged cat being chased by a pack of dogs.
    I will say though that if you are determined to cross train, you should spend some real quality time building up the base to your "house". I would highly recommend several years, the reason I say this is because you want to learn your base intimately, get to know it so well that you can look at each form, technique, or what have you and find a few permutations for each. Most dont have one specific use but can be altered slightly to adjust for all kinds of eventualities. Once you get to the point where you feel you know your art inside and out, then branch out.
    Cross training several arts at once is folly. Like I was told a while back, if you are cross training several arts at once, and especially just learning them, everytime you switch you have to empty your cup and refill it. For beginners this can take some time.

HHhmmm

Hope I dont put you off but that Taijutsu course sounds decidely dodgy if you ask me. Many internal arts Masters spent their whole lifes trying to reach mastery in just one field and it took them all that continued effort to reach theri acheivements. I do not feel that doing a combined course like that will get anyone very far.
    Plus how can that be an internal course when you're studying Ninjutsu mixed in with it? Granted Tai Chi, Hsing-I and Bagua are Internal arts but ninjutsu certainly isn't an internal art in the way that ther other three are. That course sounds a little suspect to me.

Blog Entries

Arrow Cross Training?

I've seen a lot of MA's out there who are in really crappy general condition. Fat taekwondo teachers, fat sifus, fat sensai's. It's hard to believe that these guys could go 2 rounds let alone 10 rounds. What do you guys think about that? Can you be a good martial artist and be a fat? And what do you do outside of MA's to cross train?

I've started running a couple of miles 3 times a week. Although I'm really strong and fit, my body fat seems higher than it should be and I think it slows me down. So I'm working in some cardiovascular on the side.

Theory

I'm going to have to say yes on this one.

Sice MA training is not for the ring a practitioner does not need to be able to go 10 rounds.

MA trainig is for Self defence so in a street situation the Chubby MA only need to last mabey 1 minute.

Most street fights don't last very long.

On the otherhand just letting oneself get into that kind of shape is like a weakness in ones training.

My JKD instructor says he intentionaly gained weight because he was getting tired of being thrown around by his BJJ mates. Now, he is lightning fast and really powerful and I would never want to mess with his ice cream eating @ss.

Cardio is great and it is nice to be ripped (Think of the chicks Man!). But you can still have endurance and be carrying around a lot of fat. Their are ranges of cardio to train at for losing fat and for increasing endurance. At the high end of cardio training you stop burning fat. You can actually loose muscle if training at this intensity for too long without nourishment.

Good luck with your training.
    Last edited by Johnny Hot Shot; 01-17-2002 at 12:05 PM.
    All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players:
    They have their exits and their entrances;
    And one man in his time plays many parts, ...

William Shakespeare
    "As You Like It"
    Act 2, Scene 7

Fu-Pow, I think it is all about what you are doing it for in the first place. If you want to fight professionally, then you better be in good shape! But for your average MA guy, I don think it is all that important. I think you can still be a good MA and be fat, or can even teach good MA and be fat. I have seen some guys who could use a few less calories in thier diet but are good martial artist, not the kind of guy you would want to mess with.
    My first MA teacher ever was a big guy, but man he could stay with the best of us in sparring and he was good!

We have a couple of overweight black belts who can outspar me and almost everyone else any day of the week (and I'm quite trim). So, size really shouldn't matter that much.

Martial arts should condition you to be able to take care of yourself in real life. If, in real life you're fat, then you're training should make you able to take care of yourself as a fat person.

Robin
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Not all of those guys with big bellys are fat
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

They' re pregnant
    All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players:
    They have their exits and their entrances;
    And one man in his time plays many parts, ...

William Shakespeare
    "As You Like It"
    Act 2, Scene 7

In a sense, Yes
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Question regarding cross training.

I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of mixing muay thai leg work with a center-line CMA or western boxing like upper body method would be.

The Muay Thai guys always seem to have the wide(non center-line) arm positions. I'm wondering how things would differ without it. I assume that clinching would be more difficult.

Thanks for any comments. I asked this last week in the other arts section, but I didn't get any replies so I'm trying here now. Thanks again.

Muay Thai guys don't like to punch...the fear of breaking their hands is too much...they prefer to clinch and elbow/knees. Something to keep in mind if u're practicing self defense. Punching to the head of your opponent is like hitting a bowling ball and no form of conditioning can truly protect your hands. Although boxing footwork is superior...they are trying to maintain distance when striking...muy thai guys are trying to get the clinch and kill you.
    A