Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Training?

Thumbs up

I didn't know that.
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the replies. I have a bunch of Muay Thai friends I am hoping to start working out with. I feel that the area I am lacking the most in is kicking. So I am hoping to gain some new skills with kicks and knees. I am wondering if adapting any of the muay thai leg work without the upper body would create any inherent flaws. I feel confident with my upper body style and structure, and I wouldn't want to totally scrap it.

Cross training

Most of us cross train or have been involved in different styles through the years. As we learn we add to our arsenal from our experience. In a sense we are creating our own style because we stylize or change the style to what fits us the best.

We always hear someone talk about who has the best kicks, throws, punches, hand work….but how accurate is that statement. If there was a best way to kick everyone would kick that way. And if a style was the best then everyone would be doing that one style. Even in boxing there are a couple styles of boxing that have been proven effective.

I have met a couple people who talk about how they took a couple different styles and change to that style to confuse the opponent. This doesn’t make sense. Why limit yourself a a time, and why cross train if you are not going to integrate it all together to become more effective.

I have found that what works best for me I use (As I’m sure everyone here thinks) but I don’t differentiate the information. So when I’m fighting with some one I don’t think “I need to use my TKD skills” or “My Kempo will be best here” or “I change from a northern style to Judo half way through”. Fighting is fighting, when I am fighting I use what is natural and effective, after the fight I don’t decide that my X skills came through, it was my training in general that came through.

i agree with some of what you had to say, but sporting events are different than fighting, and i could see how switching flavors of your own personal style could be a strategic advanatage. i probably wouldnt do it, but i could see myself falling for the trap maybe.
    where's my beer?

"i agree with some of what you had to say, but sporting events are different than fighting, and i could see how switching flavors of your own personal style could be a strategic advanatage. "

I dont mean it in a sportive way. Fighting should not be a style but a way. If you have been working out with your neigbor in the back yard and picked up some nice footwork that he learned, are you going to say because its not in your style you are going to ignore it?

I didnt train in other styles to become a MMA. It just worked out based on me moving and meeting others.

If you have been in the arts for 10 years or more you are going to bring in your own flavor to the table. I have seen many student from the same instructor start teaching on thier own. After a few years you can see how they have changed the way they fight, this was not a concious change, it just happens.

Change shuold not be a forced thing, it come naturally from experience. How you move, your agressivness, your views on fighting. Your training from your instructor will have a lot to do with it, but as you grow you cannot stop change.

ok i agree then. i'm kinda stupid so i thought you were talking about ring fights. i could see the logic in the ring, but fighting should be what training (in any style) has made second nature
    where's my beer?

Cross-training to help martial artists

Anyone out there like to share what type of training (weights, cardio, yoga etc.) they do outside MA and how it helps their MA training?

Merci.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    I mop sometimes. It develops my grip, shoulder and abs for a swing in staff form. Or mop with just close to the end of the mop handle to strengthen wrist+ (forearm, hand), fingers, upperarm, shoulder--pectoralis, deltoids, rhomboid... latisimus and abdominals for straightsword. And, Sweeping to practice T'ai Chi Ch'uan stepping (sideways and shifting weight) and arm position and turning of Cloud Hands.~ And vacuum cleaning to improve footwork of transition then solid stance. Or make figure eight while stepping forwards or backwards in Horse-riding stance. To develop whatever the horse-riding stance develops. Pluss it improves the stance. Develops the arm from the feet throughout the body to the fingertips.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Running improved both my cardio and the power of my kicks. My sweeps became extremely effective after I started running. I highly reccomend it, run three to four times a week.

if that's the case No_Know... i gots some training that you can do at my crib...

i do weights once/twicw a week... run once/twice a week(i need to step that up tho... regular training 4 days a week... and every now and than i'll play basketball... but i haven't done that in a while....

Outside of my MA training, I usually supplement with Kettlebell training, skipping rope and joint strength training a la SuperJoints or Warrior Wellness programs.

I've found that the Kettlebell training has helped my overall endurance (cardio and strength) and skipping rope has helped my sparring as I don't gas as easily. The joint strength training has increased my range of motion and helped with muscle flexibility, which has made me more fluid and powerful when sparring.

Kettleball?

KG, I'm not familiar with the term Kettleball. Please explain. (d@mn these geographical terminology anomolies.)

Taoboy,

A Kettlebell is a 'old-school' strongman type equipement popularized recently by Pavel Tsatsouline.

It actually looks like a cannonball with a fat handle on one end. You can also do the exercises with a dumbbell but I've found using the KB's to be more challenging due to it's displacement of weight and different center of gravity. You can find more information at dragondoor.com
    As I mentioned, it's a great tool (imo) for overall strength and cardiovascular endurance as well as grip strength.

You may want to do a search on Kettlebell under the "Kung Fu Training & Health" forum for more information as there's been several discussions over there in regards to this method of training. If you need some more information, don't hesitate to ask.

I'd also forgot to mention that I also do a lot of bodyweight exercises ala "Scrapper's workout", which I've found to be great for supplementing MA training for overall body conditioning.

KG

Martial arts cross-training

For those of you who train multiple martial arts...

- do you consider yourself to study one art primarily and compliment it with others?

- what does your primary instructor think about your cross training?

- if you have a primary style, how often to you train it and your other style/s?

- are the styles complimentary?

- do you find yourself getting confused with techniques etc?

I don't look at it that way. I just develop my skills as I feel the need. my main focus now is grappling, both standing and ground, which I spend about 13 hours a week doing. My "Primary" would be longfist and muay thai, but those have taken somewhat of a backseat to my clinch and grappling work for the time being. my cma is being done approx. 4 - 6 hours a week.

Both my "Primary" and "secondary" teachers are cool with the crosstraining as it's what I want to do.

The styles are very complimentary as they help me to flow between ranges.

There is some crossover between the grappling styles, but the techniques are essentially the same, so it doesn't matter.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter