Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Styles that destroy styles

Specialized/Style Specific combat systems.

Were there any kung fu styles that were designed to combat another style in particular, or even a particular weapon? I seem to remember something about this, but I dont have any specifics. Does your style have a rival style, other than Brazilian Ju Jutsu

-Golden Arms-
    Last edited by Golden Arms; 01-21-2002 at 04:19 PM.
    -Golden Arms-

I don't know about "destroying" each other, but bagua and hsing-i had a long-standing rivarly.

In kung fu movies, shaolin vs. wudan and shaolin vs. lama are long-standing rivalries, but these don't really exist in real life.

There were the tokyo police judo vs. jujitsu matches. I understand sambo and judo have some history as well.

Modern rivalries are muay thai vs. sanda and BJJ vs. Wrestling.

Heheheh..oops, I actually didnt mean for the title of the thread to be that, but regardless that was great info, anyone else?

-Golden Arms-
    -Golden Arms-

Hsing Yi and Bagua have learned to live with each other now, most practicioners of Hsing Yi have knowledge of Bagua, and vice-versa. They "complement" each other in a way.

I've always heard of Shaolin Vs. Lama, but I thought it was true.
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

There was a huge split in shotokan after Funakoshi's death with one part (shotokan) keeping the hard external elements and shotokai going softer and more internal. But, it wasn't like a war between the participants or anything, just a bunch of people yammering at one another.
    K. Mark Hoover

Blog Entries
    I seem to recall my Sifu saying something about CLF being designed to battle other Southern Styles like Hung Gar.
    You'll notice that CLF is very different than other Southern Styles.

Budokan - a bit like this place then?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

CLF has always had long standing rivalry with Wing Chun, as the styles were so different in their approach. Lots of battles, rooftops in HK, that sort of stuff. But they weren't designed against each other. CLF wasn't designed to outwit any particular style. It was designed to defeat them all!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Hi.

Not so sure about whole styles.

I know that some techniques are designed to counter other techniques/skills.

Example:
    I have heard that Leopard Claw will destroy/crack Golden Bell 9 out of 10 times.

There is a lot of styles that are designed around being the 'best' or else they would fail pretty poorly against any skilled fighter.
    Some styles do have a reputation as being pretty lethal though, Bak Mei was said to have been a system designed to kill Shaolin rebels, as a result its full of nerve and pressure point strikes which can often get around lower level iron shirt.
    Tai Shing of Tai Shing Pek Kwar was an offical style of the emporers gaurd at one point. It was designed to be brutal and fast but most importantly different. At those times people had seen a lot of styles and the element of suprise became a big issue. Bagua has also been used by the royal gaurd and so had to be able to go head to head with other master martial artists. Praying mantis was designed to beat the orginal northen shaolin curriculam. Tai Chi is another art invented to combat higher grade external arts like shaolin.
    Wether or not they will actualy do that job depends largely on the practioner. Most better styles have some tricks up there sleeve.

"I have heard that Leopard Claw will destroy/crack Golden Bell 9 out of 10 times."
    - Iron shirt i would say no probs but goldbell is much trickyer, one way that can work wonders is to grab and area with a tiger claw pull out and that hit with a pheonix before there muscle retracts, this way you have dislodged what your striking from the body of the opponent. Sounds complicated and it is How to actualy DO it though, ahh thats another story hehe i hope something doesnt strike me down for saying all that
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

I am surprised Ralek hasn't imparted some words of wisdom here
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

JOEDOE..why the hell did you even have to bring HIM up...that's why he stays here, and quite fankly...some of you are getting just as annoying as him with all your stupid sh!t about him!

~Wen~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

Listen wushuchik, if you get all worked up over him then that is food for the troll. Ralek doesn't phase me - I know he is a troll, so when I read what he says I don't let it upset me because I know that is what he wants. You on the other hand give him exactly what he wants by getting all worked up even at the mention of his name.

Don't get on my case.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

raow the lot of ya

fightfight2 more times.

According to the story, the 5 elders of shaolin invented a new style to defeat all the existing shaolin styles. They invented a style that is efficient and can be learned in a short period of time. Unfortunately, the shaolin temple was attacked and the 5 elders fled from the shaolin temple. One of the elders was Ng Mui. She later met Yim Wing Chun and taught her the martial art. Yim Wing Chun modified the style to suit her. This is how Wing Chun (the martial art) came to be.

I don't know if the story is true; but this is the reason why they say wing chun is designed to defeat shaolin kung fu.
    Defend where there is no attack; attack where there is no defense.

Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.