Thread: Downsizing and Cuttin up

Downsizing and Cuttin up

If the goal at hand is to cut up and lose some muscle mass, would you all reccomend doing cardio after a low weight high rep workout or vice versa.

Or,
    What would you reccomend?I am also looking to build/maintain strength. I have been doind a traditional bodybuilding workout for years which is;
    Chest and Biceps
    Back,hams and stomach
    triceps and quads
    shoulders and calves and stomach
    I do 8-12 reps depending on what my focus is and I am finding that my mass slows me down, although I do not want to let go of a decent looking frame and be really skinny.(not to bash skinny folk, but its just not me)
    Can anyone reccomend a workout that is different maybe incorporating deadlifts and more pullups. Im sure I could figure it out but I would like to hear what has worked for my fellow KF colleagues.

Thanks for any input.

Shaolin36

Do the opposite of what you said and cut calories. Strength and power training will not cause very much hypertrophy and will only increase strength. Just do basic exercises...bench, deadlift and squat, a couple sets of 3-5 reps using heavy weight.

I don't know why you'd want to lose muscle but for that just eat less. You could intake less protein and restrict your caloric intake a bit and then your body will catabolise muscle tissue to create amino acids.

Basically, cals is all you need to worry about. Keep carbs and fat intake relatively high and go 500 cals less per day.

The heavy weight training above will help your training in many ways and not lead to much increase in hypertrophy. You can't get big unless you eat big so it's pretty moot.

Oh I forgot to add that if you did high rep low weight schemes say good-bye to your strength as well. Go fight a sissy marathon runner and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks EP,

Here is a site found from another thread, it has pretty good information.

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

Check it out.

OK, so I have bench deadlif and squat for 3-5 reps doing about 3 sets each.

What other excersises and how many total sets should I fit into one workout?

Shaolin36

Haha..thanks, I think I posted it.

I'd check out Power to the People by Pavel Tsatsouline. Definately a good way to lean out (combined with aerobics of some sort) and build strength.