Thread: Karate Shoes

Karate Shoes

What is the best shoe for practicing karate outside on pavement? I don't mean actual karate shoes because those are hard to come by around here. I mean regular shoes that I could pick up in a place like Foot Locker.

You can make a pair of "geta", which would be the best shoe to train karate outdoors in.
    Monkey vs. Robot

But those are sandals and I need shoes.

oh for heavens sake. give in to globalisation.

Buy some Nike Airs.
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

You want to train karate outdoors. You don't need shoes for that. You just "need" something between your foot and the pavement. Geta are more than just footwear, they will improve your karate in the long run (balance work and calf/ankle conditioning like you wouldn't believe).

If you're determined to buy "karate shoes" at the FOOTLOCKER, buy soccer shoes. No shoes are designed with a plan to absorb more kicking impact.

Don't buy wrestling shoes if you are going for a "reality" training perspective by training outdoors. You'll rarely be walking about with that thin of a sole.
    Last edited by Stranger; 02-26-2002 at 09:38 PM.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Hi.

I would say use any old shoe, but get out there and train.

The Skill is not in owning the best tools, but being able to reach a high level with the tools you do own.

I train in a Park using generic Sports shoes that cost a few Bucks, no complaints.
    So maybe they are gone after 1/2 a year, who cares.

Just my 2 Yen worth.

it's like, i have to go running in my old adidas shelltoes with like hardly any sole left cos it's all i got - i don't worry that they don't have air bubbles etc. these magazines say you have to have the right footware etc - fair enough but i can't afford £110 to buy trainers, so i'll use them for now.

Just train in your "sneakers" and stop thinking about the little things to put yourself off doing it.
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

use an old pair of combat boots. Better than having a pair of ankle weights on. Sharky I must disagree with you on running shoes. Its really pay now or pay later and I am deffinatly paying now both physicaly and financially. I always buy a good pair of running shoes and replace the insole with a good aftermarket gel type insole. Now I only run on dirt roads and hardly ever on pavement. When you weigh 205lbs you need all the cushining you can get to save them knees and back.

Adidas Sambas.

Like red_fists said, any shoe-type is good as long as it's somehow sports-related. I would recommend taido or TKD shoes though. They tend to be very comfortable and good to move with.

Thumbs up Hey Sharky...

>>it's like, i have to go running in my old adidas shelltoes with like hardly any sole left cos it's all i got - i don't worry that they don't have air bubbles etc. these magazines say you have to have the right footware etc - fair enough but i can't afford £110 to buy trainers, so i'll use them for now.

>>Just train in your "sneakers" and stop thinking about the little things to put yourself off doing it.

Hey Sharky, very well said! I agree 100%

Godzilla

VANS, nothing beats them for "side wall" durability and feel.
    Regular running/cross training shoes rip up pretty quick for me on the outside edge of the shoe. The "karate" stance should put allot of pressure there, and most shoes aren't designed for that.

But, if you want a strictly "karate" shoe try Discipline.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Where could I get a pair of Disciplines?

karate shoes remind me of soap shoes or the shoes that sonic wears.