Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Painter

John Painter

Recent Inside Kung Fu had John Painter, dressed as a commando, showing "warrior" bagua. Did anyone else see this? Is anyone else thinking it was self-promotion, bs? The best is a picture of him after breaking out of handcuffs, with a goofy look on his face.

What is the deal with this guy?

tsk, tsk, tsk...

Shame on you. with 17 years experience in martial arts to share with us, your first post is critical of a teacher with more than double that. (not mine by the way) Oh well, welcome to the forum anyway. How about sharing something less politcal and more interesting?
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Inside Kung Fu is all about promotion. As is Black Belt, Grappling, etc.

That's the entire purpose of the magazine (besides selling advertising).

Not that I don't read this kind of stuff. I think it's fun.

Count - True true.

Tnglng - I thought the article was alright. It gave a little insight on how weight training can develop ba gua skills. I didn't see at as self promotion though. I did think his formula on power or force neglected internal aspects, but the focus of the article was more on building external aspects anyway. As for my opinion on Painter, I once saw a video he put out on knife defense. I swear it should have been called 100 Ways to Get Stabbed. But I've never met the man, nor his students, so I can't form on honest opinion on his skills.
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

promotion

Count:

Maybe I expressed myself poorly. My aim is not political, my frustration comes from a sincere love of these arts and a feeling that they should be presented in a better way.

Thanks for the welcome, I hope to add something good soon!

OK, you seldom see the arts in any commercial publication being done justice. How would you promote the arts to make the public aware of what to look for from a teacher. My feeling about the internal arts is most people are not even aware of the external training involved or the methods. They think it's all circle walking or forms or meditation. I thought the article in IKF want a fair distance to cover some of the external training in bagua. Each teacher has their own methods and reasons for presenting them to the public. You seem to have some internal and external background. How would you present it in an article?
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Hee-hee! I thought those pictures were HILARIOUS!! HAD to be intentionally done. Just had to be.

First of all, I'd leave the theatrics out of the article. I think even the great masters of the past could not necessarily free themselves from handcuffs but when they stood up to move, they expressed the power enormously.

In a written article I'd recommend looking for a teacher who moved smoothly, who appeared relaxed yet powerful. It's true he spoke about some external training methods that are sometimes used for power development. I wouldn't necessarily recommend those since it can be counterproductive or akin to overtraining. Xingyi stepping with wu xing is very rigorous training, as is bagua circle walking (from my limited bagua experience). I wouldn't rush into the weighted vests, etc. Overkill. More is not always better.

check out Painter's website for even funnier pictures.

In the article you mentioned, take a close look at the guy
    Painter is throwing- although he's wearing large clothes, the
    guy has a thin, shriveled up arm... it looks like Painter dressed up some 89lb crackhead and threw him for the photo.

He's the Barney Fife of the Martial Arts world.

Doooode, you sure weren't kidding!
    During his show business career John appeared as a principle in television commercials, numerous plays and motion pictures, including "Benji", "For the Love of Benji" and a walk-on in "Midnight Cowboy."
    WHY on Earth would you mention any of THAT! It will earn you a wedgie!

Thanks, I think I have a new favorite site LOL!

I love the meandering prose he spews!

Photoshop

It it just me, or does the pic of John and his teacher look poorly photoshopped together? The lighting doesn't seem correct, the people's heads don't seem to fit on their body, the calligraphy in the background is way to sharp, at its frame casts no shadow. The most telling point seems to be the shadow on the ground.

Is it just me?

Anyone?

Yeah, I noticed that too. L-A-M-E.

YA - the teacher's head resembles one of those 'head-in-a-jar' props from a B-serial killer flick. I think it wasn't cropped very well.
    Stupidity - the number one sexually transmitted disease.

It gets better

I keep looking through the site.

I like the moon gate pic too. Is this a mini moongate? Why is Dr. Painter in focus when objects at the same disctance are not?

And why does Li Longdao seem to have the exact same facial expression in every picture, right down the slightly open mouth?

Lightbulb See what I mean tnglng?

Few teachers get more flack than Erle, Kumar and
    Dr. Painter. Instead of what might have turned into an intellegent discussion on the benefits of adding external training to your internal you have this. Oh well. I still say if you only focus on internal training what you are doing is robbing from your external body and visa versa. There are specific external methods in bagua/hsing-i/tai chi chuan that are often overlooked. It is a shame people think they are learning a martial art with out the benefit of a complete program from a qualified coach or instructor. But you'll never know if you have the real deal unless you experience it firsthand.

As far as the article, I agree and disagree. Martial arts shown to public is for show. Dr. Painter can be quite a showman too. Probably due to his background. But unless you see someone in person and actually touch hands with them, your comments don't mean much. Anyway, welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM