Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: John Painter

I think we can have a discussion about internal/external training methods AND have a few laughs on the side too. I didn't even know about the website, but c'mon..........it is cheesy. It made me laugh. I'm not discounting Painter completely, and you are correct, I have not personally touched hands with him. I didn't intend to tear him apart, and I still disagree with those methods of "selling" MA.

See you

But why misrepresent the truth?

Fair enough tnglng.

Would you care to tell us about your teacher and how he promotes the arts and himself?

Hey cowboy are you the famous Hugh D. Mann?
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

denial is the first sign of addiction

Count,

I could honestly care less about this painter guy, but the photos are obviously fake even if his skills aren't. Surely you can see and admit that?

i though some of his students checked these boards. maybe they can speak of the handcuff thing?
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

Shin

Would you care to let me know what you think I am in denial about?? I'm truely confused

Actually never saw the pictures you are talking about but I am an expert and that includes photshop. Go ahead and post anything you want to share. I have met Dr. Painter before. Did you also have some questions about him. Not sure I can answer but I'm sure I can point you in the right direction
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

people sure are quick to jump on someone for having not met them before... even having MET them you don't always get the real deal (are you ALWAYS at your best when you meet people?)

just some thoughts...

true, and plus why would someone of painters stature (whether it's hype or not) even show his true skill for some schmo who questions the authenticity. what does he have to prove? alot of teachers can give two f-cks bout what someone thinks of them.
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

Hugh D. Mann!! LOL!! I like that one better, count!

Not again.......

Ah yes..... The obligatory 3-times-a-year "Is John Painter a Fraud" thread. Whats the matter? No one had any new dirt on Bruce Lee?

I have stated my opinions before but it boils down to this:

The man trains full time, has a prosperous group, and gets to do nothing but what I love....Kung Fu.

He's a lucky guy. Even when I leveled my observations/ allegations at him, He was calm, level-headed and even polite. I have been to his home and trained with him personally. He is a large and powerfull man who can put out the Jing when need be.

Whatever the truth about his lineage may be, or his career as a stage magician, or his questionable theatrics, he was a guest instructor of the venerable Jou, Tsung Hwa, and was invited to write the Forward to Yang, Jwing Ming's Emei Bagua book. They didn't call me when they wanted somthing done.....

The buddhists say those who care to much about another mans opinion becomes his slave, and whatever else may be true about him, He's obviously no one's slave.

Is there any truth to the rumor that he used to stunt double for Tom Selleck?

I may be taking this thread off-topic by posting this since I'm going to talk about his Gung Fu instead of his showbiz career, but oh well. I think Dr. Painter is playing an important role in the development of Baguazhang in the U.S. Our propensity in this country is to take internal arts and simultaneously overmystify them and water them down to pablum. Painter makes no apologies for teaching his art to be used for fighting, and I like that.

He's nowhere near as brutal as I am (heh, heh...had to throw that in), but his methods are workable in a real encounter. They aren't only useful to impress Beijing-ified acrobatics coaches. Some may argue that his teaching doesn't give enough emphasis on the subtler internal aspects. Perhaps such criticism may hold a kernel of truth. However, I've disappointingly found that in this country, those internal arts instructors who spend the most time talking about such things are usually the least able to actually apply their art in a fight, and at the end of the day, it's about teaching self-preservation skills, folks. The rest of the stuff to be found in the neijia is nice, but it can all be found elsewhere. The only thing that martial arts can teach you that can't be found in another hobby is how to actually fight, and I feel that Painter does as good a job as anybody in this country to produce students who can consistently apply their skills for actual self-defense.

Baguazhang instructors and practitioners make up a small enough community in this country that I won't mention anyone by name here, but there are instructors of Bagua in this country whose policy is to NEVER teach any applications of their art to their students. Throughout history, a lot of refinement and tactical development has been lost through that sort of cultural arrogance and forcing the students to re-invent the wheel with each generation. To such instructors I will provide a clue, free of charge: this isn't China. You can't get away with that crap here. If my evil twin were to come down and kick the cowpatties out of all of your top students, maybe you'd start to change your mind about the importance of applications instruction. But...I digress in a very silly way.

Basically, my observance of it is that the loudest voices of criticism about Painter and his methods within the Bagua community come from those with the greatest tendency toward, to borrow a word from Gary Romel, "p*ssification". There are a lot of guys in the internal arts in America who can't fight. Often to make up for it, they lounge around in Mandarin silk pajamas like some kind of wannabe Chinese Hugh Hefner, sipping their Lapsong Souchong and eating granola wafers, talking down their noses at anyone with a high enough profile to provide a decent target. Get off your candy *ss and go train!

Ahh, fuggit....I'm in a weird mood today cuz it's Saturday. Don't mind me, I'm just ranting. :P

the photo is a fake.
    makes me wonder about the rest.
    therefore we can look to another sifu of 9 dragon ba qua.
    opps!
    there is only one.
    captain,doctor,shirfu,ex-six flags employee john"biff" painter.
    he`s a self made man.we should all be proud!
    it`s the american way.
    Last edited by redfist; 01-26-2002 at 01:05 PM.

Well, I'm going to rent "Benji" and "For Pete's Sake! Benji: The Musical", and try to spot the dude.

**** i never realized we have so many photography "experts" here

i wonder if they're the same "experts" who said the titanic couldn't sink?

convictions cause convicts.

guess i caught your 'gripe' bug there Chris