View Poll Results: By request: How much do you sleep?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3-5 hours

9 19.15%
  • 6-8 hours

32 68.09%
  • 9 or more hours

6 12.77%
  • days at a time (as if)

0 0%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleep

Okay, now for the reason of this post.... I just read a study that said people who only got 7.5 hours of sleep for a little a three nights show elevated levels of cortisol - a hormone that increases blood sugar interferes with memory slows muscle building and promotes obesity. The subjects' results returned to normal almost immediately after having a 9 hour sleep.

I knew lack of sleep could be detrimental, but I had no idea that the effects of missing that 1.5 hours of sleep were so dramatic.

Looking at the poll here, many of us aren't getting adequate sleep.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

was 9 what they suggested we sleep? i've heard that the body goes in and out of deep sleep every 3 hours. so 6 hours would be better than 7 or 8 cuz you awake at the end of one of the cycles.
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

I probably sleep 9 hours once every three months, if that.

I'm generally comfortable with 7, though I can get by with 6 and still feel OK.

I'm a programmer, memory and reasoning are important, and I've not had a problem so far. I'm still pretty shredded physique-wise at 47, too.

My wife needs about 9 on weekends.

I had a boss once who boasted he only slept 5 a night. He didn't count the other 2 a day he got falling asleep in meetings.

I think that, like diet, there are large amounts of variation in what individuals can and cannot subsist (or thrive) on.

yeah, there is variation among individuals. I'm really not a sleeper myself either.

The study was involving subjects with 7.5 hours of sleep and 9 hours of sleep. I think the gist of it is that the more sleep you get (to an extent) the better off you are.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I sleep anywhere from 5-12 hours. Sometimes i stay up for a day at a time. I just cant get a good night of sleep. Even when i sleep 12 hours i wake up 3 to a dozen times a night. I'm actually tired right now after sleeping 11 hours........... well more like laying in bed for 11 hours, half the time I was bearly asleep, and i would wake up about every hour and steer at the clock for 20 minutes then doze off again. I think i need a Doctor.
    "If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is p00ntang."-Animal Mother

I used to get less than 3 hours a night. I just couldn't sleep. I thought that I was stressed or something, and tried EVERYTHING (runs at 4am!!!)

In the end - I bought a new bed yesterday. A lovely pocket-sprung £500 Comfilux. last night I got 13 hours sleep!!!

B e a u t i f u l .

Hopefully it's done the trick.
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

9-12 hours I sleep on average.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

How the H__L can.........

anyone manage to get 9 hours of sleep a night on a regular
    basis?

How many of you guys that claim 9 or more have regular jobs?
    How much do you train?
    Sifus...how many hours do you teach...and probably work
    another job too????

sorry, I CRAVE a good nights sleep

Leonidas, i'm with you man, I can't sleep for s__t either a lot
    of the time.

But.....I'm better off with 5 vs. 6 hours and if I don't have to set
    and alarm then I usually wake at 4 hours and then 7.5
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I have a job. But currently am not training. When I do start I'll prolly knock off a few hours and sleep about 7 hours a day. But working graveyard can be tough. So I sleep alot.

I sleep a good nine hours a day. I have a regular job, I plow snow. On those days I'm up by 2:45. I get home a 6 pm sometimes. Then a sleep a few 9-10 hour nights when it's not snowing. In the summer I stayed up really late every night and worked a regular 8-4 painting house. I was tired all the time and it took me like a month of good sleep before I wasn't tired all the time. I get a lot more sleep now that i don't have a girlfriend.
    I am nothing.

AH yes! Girlfriends can keep someone up! Bow chcka wow wow!!!!!

Bow chcka wow wow!!!!!
    bwaaahahahahahhaha!
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

Talking

you liked that too eh justa?

Yung, when I read that, I almost spat nachos on my monitor.
    I have a friend that used to always do that, and it cracked me up every time.
    Bow chcka wow wow!!!!!
    I'm just impressed that you managed to articulate it so well.

My post was a bit of a joke. Seriously though about 1-2 hours previously spent on sleep is now spent on meditation. I probably get 3-5 on average in a day, but once a month or so I do usually sleep for 15-20 hours, your body tells you when it needs it.

LOL!!!!!