View Poll Results: By request: How much do you sleep?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3-5 hours

9 19.15%
  • 6-8 hours

32 68.09%
  • 9 or more hours

6 12.77%
  • days at a time (as if)

0 0%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleep

i can survive with 3-4 hrs but if i want 24 hrs is less for me
    -TkdWarrior-
    Knowledge, Like sex is better when it's free

I do fine on about 6.5.

If I'm training a lot, I try to schedule myself a couple of hours in the afternoon (I work for myself so this is sometimes possible). I always have to sleep considerably more in the winter (I'd like to double it!!!).
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

As much as possible, I like sleep... Yawn
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Man I have sleep problems.
    I go to bed like 2 hrs before I fall asleep.
    I usually get about 7 hrs, 8-9 sometimes (holidays)
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

What do you guys do...

During the week I am lucky to break 5 - 5.5 a night.

Needless to say I sleep in on weekends.
    "Remember, that amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic."

interesting topic...i usually get between 4 and 5 hours sleep a night...a lot of ppl have told me that this is bad .,....i think they are probably right but jyou know i grew up on a farm where its early mornings always but i live in the city where its late nights so what can you do...also i find that meditation and breathing excercises make a bigger diff than how much sleep i get
    the more u know the more u know how much u dont know

I usually sleep 6-7 hours during the week and 11 hours on weekends (hehe). They reckon that people should get 10 hours of sleep, instead of the old 8 hours. I heard there was an investigation on life expectancy against the amount of sleep and people who slept 5 hours on average lived longer than people with 6 hours of sleep. Of course there are other major factors in these statistics, but actually quite many people from the past were tested and it was concluded that people with 5 hours of sleep can expect a longer life than ones who sleep 6 hours. However, it doesn't mean that they aren't tired! And above all, this doesn't mean really anything, but it's quite interesting.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

By the way, I think this thread belongs to the training and health board.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

I am much like you Serpent, I do better on 7-8 but I can get by on 6 for a few days.
    My father however gets by on 3 hours a night.

I have read a couple of studies, I can't remember what it is my fathe rhas where he can do 3 hours a night just fine, but its a "disease" of sorts. Anyway, I read one interesting study that said the human body is designed to get 4-6 hours at night and about a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon.

Your REM/dream cycles are nearly 4 hours long, so it's good to get those 8 hours. As you get older, however, your need for sleep diminishes somewhat.

Souljah - I used to have insomnia, at least as bad as yours. Now I'm too exhausted for insomnia. Try Melatonin or Ginko before you go to bed. I might have some more advice for you, PM me if you feel like it.

I usually get 5-6. I do fine on 3 though, which is what I usually get on the weekends. I go to sleep late, and out of habit, I always wake up early. Studies I've read say the 7-8 is optimal, but you can get too much sleep, which is bad. The more you sleep past the optimal period, the more your body wants sleep.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

On weeknights, I go to bed somewhere between midnight and 1am. My alarm goes off at 8am, and I usually slap the snooze (which goes off about every 9 minutes) till around 8:45-8:50).

On weekends, I go to bed sometime between 3am and 5am, and get up whenever I happen to wake up (which usually winds up somewhere between 11am and 3pm.)

I could probably stand to get more sleep, but honestly, I feel pretty rough in the morning no matter how much I get.

thanks fa jing i'll try those out.

It may be the bed im sleepin in, its like rock, I like having a harder bed (the whole 'better fo the back' theory i guess) but i dont think I sleep well in them, when I used to stay at my aunts house she had one of those beds that are so soft they jus close in around you,
    I never used to have any probs sleeping there.
    i'll still look into the stuff u mentioned
    soul
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

Originally posted by SevenStar
    The more you sleep past the optimal period, the more your body wants sleep.
    Geez, I would so agree with that. Sometimes on the weekends I sleep for like 10-12 hours, and then I'm exhausted all day. My body's like "no, don't do stuff! Sleep more!"

I heard recently that sleeping over 8 hours may be cause cancer or something.

Every study yields different results. I would say sleep the amount that makes you feel best.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I heard that a REM cycle is 1.5 hours and you need at least three, therefore 4.5 hours is a minimum. Don't know the validity of that though, it was just in conversation.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching