Thread: school in vermillion, OH

school in vermillion, OH

I think I might have found a school. It's In Vermillion, Ohio, and the sifu is Rikk Mayr. His page is here . I visited the school but the day I visited he happened to be preparing a student for a demonstration and I didn't really get a sense of what the classes are like. One thing that worried me was there were no mats or bags in the whole place and the senior student, although very nice, looked like a twig. I am really looking for a hard hitting school and no bags or mats kinda worried me. Has anyone heard of him, his lineage, or his school? I don't know anything about master Will Duncan or the two gandmasters he learned from (his lineage is on his website). He did say he learned some southern mantis from grandmaster Chan Pui. Any info on this would be great
    thanks,
    adam
    "That is because you are stupid"
    -Zorro

Hmm, looks:

a) Too expensive ($60 a month for an hour and 15 minutes a week)

b) Too short on classes

I have judged internal arts with Rikk on several occasions and found him to be knowledgeable and very easy to get along with.

Although I cannot comment on his fighting, since I have never seen it, his students' bagua forms, sword and taiji were excellent.

Hist students all perform in realtively low postures with very smooth transitions. Its obvious to me that regarding the internal arts, he is not your "run of the mill' teachers.

I think he is worth checking out.

Thank you RAF, it's much better to hear it from someone who knows him. I am visiting another class (when they actually have class) wednesday (i think). Thanks for the help guys
    adam
    "That is because you are stupid"
    -Zorro