Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fushan Bak Mei

Hi again FT!

No, I haven't yet. Not because I don't want to - I'm actually quite interested in doing it. It allows you to compare, know where you stand, value what you do and understand it better. Nothing worse than ignorance.

I'm still quite busy with my Wing Chun, and that will take me still a while...

Btw, the link to your own homepage doesn't work... You said you were at the weekend in Sifu's class. Must have been on Saturday. Just out of curiosity, how's that possible if that class is not open to everyone?

Anyways, I'll be still around here some time, just in case of more questions.
    Last edited by Buddha_Fist; 01-28-2002 at 09:19 PM.

buddha fist

i seen him on video doing forms, and it was mixed with wing chun, even the salute is mixed! but as it says on his site he isnt related to clc bak mei?? what i seen of eddie'sifu doing bak mei was very soft and circular.

am i right here?

thanks mate
    FT

FT

I guess that's the reason. Just compare Pan Nam , Chi Sim and Yip Man Wing Chun. They're quite different, but the difference doesn't make less authentic any of these. Sifu Chong knows that there are other lineages around (see our homepage), he just represents the teachings he learned from his Bak Mei Sifu, Lee Yung Gien, and respects the other lineages.

If you ever happen to be in California, pay him a visit. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk with a fellow martial artist and share experiences.

Hmmmmm

Hey FT,

This always has confused me. History, unlike Kung Fu, is an oral /written concept.

The Legends:

Cheung Lai Cheun named a style without a name to bring it to secular practitioners from Monastic sources. So, anything that pre-dates Grandmaster CLC, even if the "same" style, would not be known as what he named it, but as it was called in the Monastaries, where it wasn't named, or was it?.

CLC named it for the legendary character that "originated" the style as he was told, allegedly a Daoist, but CLC as an old man wore Buddhist robes. (no biggie, it's commonplace to go between the two, but....)

CLC put much of himself as well into the style, it is a mix of what he was taught in the Monastary and what he learned as a proven fighter in his day.

Yet, some of his patterns are part of Fatshan Pak Mei taught by Sifu Chong, i.e. Sub Jie.

From a bigger picture, the basic fundamental techniques come from Southern short arm systems, which are possibly carried by Hakka peoples in their migrations around China, but the Pak Mei CLC brought out of the monastary is not the fundamentals, but the layers above. Did the monks have Hakka influence or did CLC teach a lot of Hakka in private, as I have been told, or both?

LIkewise, Fatshan Pak Mei claims links to Shaolin, the ancient (legendary) rivals of Pak Mei.

It would be nice to get some information that actually made logical sense of all this evidence and contradiction.

My Sifu knows about Fatshan Pak Mei, but not about it's history. It isn't a fabrication, I trust, but is it "Pak Mei" or another art with the same name and slightly different fundamentals?

Thank you sui-few

Originally posted by sui-fuw
    .clc was problably the only person to bring it from h/k.not the be all and end all?and you put it in cantonese.now from what i learn is that pak mei cannot be learnt from any language apart from manderin and hakka.the cantonese fellows wern't taugt the main version for they didn't understand hakka and still don't today.
    Thank you for this post Sui-Few. You give credence to many theories I have heard from Hakka Chinese - Vietnamese Pei Mei practiioners.

I posted a threaf a while back concerning 2 fundamental different types of Pei Mei/Pak Mei. My theory was that HK Pak Mei is but one strand of Pak Mei, and that CLC and Co while in mainland China seemed to do things differently. History has made the HK Pak Mei the one that is most known , practiced and spread around the world, and hence a reference.

While I do not degrade it, (I am but one and they are many :-] ), I wish to explore the other flavours, as I believe at present that Pei Mei in Vietnam has NO connection to HK Pak Mei (except for some practioners in HK who latter went to Vietnam, but many years after it was originally introduced).

It may even be possible that Tang Hué Bac, the person who brought Pei Mei to Vietnam, alhtough he learnt from CLC, there may have been a whole bunch of people in those times (pre-HK) that practiced something different.

(Of course Tang Hué Bac of course added some things himself, etc. and I am aware that each generation imprints its own feel...).

Anyways, thanks Sui-Few. You clearly have some knowledge to share with me !

[Q] SF -> why have you taken your post out?
    [ANS] SF-> hi shoa,not to start any wars
    -> Also, because no one wants to hear logic, they only want fantasial stories. Of course there are holes one does not have to tell all!

SF : now from what i learn is that pak mei cannot be learnt from any language apart from manderin and hakka

-> What about all those Individuals trying to learn Cantonese just to understand their arts better. Are you saying it is in vain?

SF : and you put it in cantonese.

-> Nope, I put in Englocantonese which is most common. In fact it is much easier for me to put it in Mandarin but no one would understand.
    Like Shi zi quan, Chi Dian Mei Hua, Ba Gua, Shi Ba Mo Qiao, Hu Bu, Hua Bao, Jiu Bu Tui, Fei Fung Shuang Dao, Fei Fung Dan Dao, Da Che Gun, ...etc.
    I could put it in Hakka, Hokkien, Teo Chew, Toisan, ChongSan...as well.....who cares though this isn't language class.

Vietnam, Hong Kong, Kowloon, GuangZhou, ShanTou, Hoi Fong, Malaysia, UK, USA ..etc.... all may differ. But if one style cannot keep it together then all will be lost in the world.

Oh Well,
    it is irrelevant just practise and be happy.
    Last edited by Shaolin Master; 01-29-2002 at 04:17 PM.

shaolin master

Would you be able to tell me your sifu's name in bak me? where does he live?
    Is he in malaysia or taiwan, or is it from chow fu sifus sons?
    thanks
    FT

Michael Jackson

FT,

I don't know Bak Mei remember, you said I am a northern practitioner !
    Last edited by Shaolin Master; 01-29-2002 at 04:40 PM.

More questions..

Sorry I missed SM's post.

I know some of you don't agree, I would expect no less.

I appreciate what he has to say, because he has viewpoint that he can verbalise. This isn't a test, its a puzzle and nobody has enough pieces to make anything but a picture of themselves.

So the question is, do you want to look in a mirror, or out a window?

OM MA NI PEH ME HUNG

There're only two real Bak Mei master in Fatshan, Chut Suk and Mai Yu Qiang.

Sui_fuw

Too many ideas can confound the focus. Prioritizing is key - Wing Chun is key.

Yes, I know them well.

That's the reason why I'm a Wing Chun Man... haha... this is just me!

Wing Chun : Simple & Direct

Bak Mei : Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Bak Mei Grandmaster Mai Yu Qiang - You Knew the story...

wing chun- so simplistic, it's UNREALISTIC

bak mei- real, POWERFUL, (unlike the girly latter), direct to the
    point.

Ma Yu Quang & co..........well..... they just SUCK.

Trolling hand strikes again...
    Bom Tish

Just please dont pull out the dreaded chain punch i have WAY to much trouble dealing with that technique
    By the way how good are your gates from the back?
    How do you find my center when im in constant motion?
    When on the top of Wing Chun mountain how do you avoid the wind knocking you back down?
    You are simple but maybe so am I, so what happens now?
    The Wing Chun train is often missed, mainly becouse its on rails and to easily avoided.

Maybe i just keep running into crappy Wing Chun guys, ahh well i guess im happy
    Last edited by jon; 01-29-2002 at 08:26 PM.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Ma Yu Quang & co..........well..... they just SUCK.
    Really? have you met them?