Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pak mei double butterfly swords

Fiercest Tiger!
    Thanks, I think you might be right because I think I got my translation wrong.

I guess you have seen our double butterfly sword form, so is YKM's one similar?? What are the differences??

In Bak Mei the Butterfly Swords are quite common, the form is called gJui Wun Lau Yip Seung Doh (cloud chasing willow leaf double swords). It is a long form with a lot of movements repeated in sets of gthreeh, and many movements where you change the swords to a greverse griph and brace it against the elbows. Many of the techniques are quite similar to the hand techniques: such as bui gim, sut choei, moh jaang, pow choei, etc. Do not confuse this form with gSei Moon Baat Gwa Seung Doh, which is the long broadswords.

Bak Mei has many weapons and they are all great forms. The difference of Bak Meifs weapons from other styles is that all the techniques, regardless of the weapon, comes from the body. If it looks like it could be a different style then it is definitely not Bak Mei, it is impossible to confuse it when done correctly.

Kei Lun

Cannon fist

hope all is well with you and chow sifu?

I have your butterfly swords,straight sword, tonfas, sticks, hand sets on video from over the years of demos at the barbaque king tourneys.

The ykm swords are different and i learnt this from a elder brother from the american ykm school! it kinda looks the same when you go down and chop, switch grips etc

very basic but effective!!

FT,
    Do you fight with weapons or just have 2-man sparring sets ?
    Also, how do you go about it ?

Kei Lun,
    sets of three often are a Bak Mei favorite with distinct origins in the Hakka fists fundamentals.
    However are Bak Mei weapons more weighted at combat or at reinforcing empty hand concepts ?

Was Chueng Lai Chun well known for weapons or was it empty hands ?

[PS Yes the old concept of weapons are an extension of the limbs lalala is valid but realistically the best weapons fighter was not necessarily the best empty hand one and vice versa]
    Last edited by Shaolin Master; 02-03-2002 at 05:37 AM.

shaolin master

In class i bring out knives, base ball bats, sticks, all against empty hand or weapon!

i teach 1st how to fight with the body, then move on to seizing and grappling then knife or edge and blunt weapons.

ykm has a 2 man form for machine gun vs switch blade you wouldnt believe who wins!!

some weapons was designed to strengthen the body and help the empty hand sets thats true.

later
    FT

Shaolin Master,

Im not too sure what your asking. But not only Bak Mei favors 3fs, pretty much any kung fu does the same. Weapons in Bak Mei are weighted yes. The purpose for this is NOT to build strength, it is so that you can train your power (body power, not arm) with a heavy object/weapon. Often Bak Mei pole techniques, for example, use a lot of pushing techniques where you brace your weapon against the opponentfs body and push, or shock your power. This is the difference between Bak Mei weapons and other styles.

"Was Jeung Lai Cheun known for his weapons or empty hands?" Neither! He was known for his power! Whether hands or weapons doesnft matter, since the power comes from the body. Hope it helps.

Kei Lun

clc was known for his pole!

Have you heard the story about the flys in the tea house?

FT

Flys in the Teahouse

OK FT,
    Spill it! This sounds like a good one....

Butterfly Knives from Shaolin

Gents,

Check this out :
    http://home.Vtmuseum.org/articles/me...rflyknives.php

Unraveling the history of butterfly knives

Hello,

Not to stir the pot, but LY has two (perhaps more) "original" butterfly knife sets, of course (!) not at all related to the BM sets.

They teach "whole body movement", along with as Kei Lun mentioned, the Draw Sword, Lap Sao Chung Choi, smash bridge technique, etc. This is not rocket science of course - practice these arts with five pound weights in your hands and your power will also improve vastly, if you are doing the breathing and body mechanics right.

The important thing to note is that in these sets, the weapon forms are specific to the art. In many LY and BM sets, the weapons were incorporated from Bak Siu Lum - mostly for demonstration purposes. A true LY or BM man (and I am most assuredly not) knows (and feels) the difference, between a real weapon set, and a demonstration set. Nothing wrong with some flash - but the essence of the Art is preserved in a few indiginious (and rare) weapons sets. The double knife sets have a place of honour in most Hakka systems.

Cheers!

yum cha

He killed them with the pole!

FT FLy Story

Gee FT your kids are going to hate it when you tell them a bed time story!

Talking GROGAN

My kids if i ever have any will be scared for life once im finished with them! lol

Ok here is the story!

Once upon a time in Guangzhou there was a young man named Cheung Lai Chun (CLC). On a certain day of a god he was drinking tea in a tea house in Canton with many distinguished kung fu masters. It was a hot day as I remember with lots of flies buzzing around in this tea house. Suddenly, a famous kung fu master jumped up from his table challenging the young Cheung Lai Chun. CLC sat there and laughed "ha ha ha...ha bast@rd you must be tired of living." As CLC never rarely said no to a kung fu challenge. He pointed to the center of the tea house and said "CHING." "After you."

The challenging teacher, I cannot say his name for reasons of the forum, quickly grabbed his staff and went to the center of the tea house and explained to the young CLC that his pole was more superior, and that CLC's pole was rubbish. So CLC said "how would you like to fight?" The challenging master said "let us test your strength in the pole." The challenging master thought that he could pull a sligh one over the young Cheung Laiiiiiii Chun. Thinking that he is know for his hands, but not his weapons.

So this master stood there with his famous pole and did three moves in the air. After this all of the other masters looked on in disbelief. As he killed some flies in the center of the tea house. The crowd started to paw in to witness CLC get his first defeat.

Now it was CLC's turn to use the pole to show his strength.

Im really tired now. I will post part two tomorrow.

Sorry guys

FT

Smile Part 2 of Flies in the Tea House

Cheung lai Chun grabbed the staff with a smerk on his face of this Master. Walked over to the center of the tea house where the flies where still buzzing around. CLC took a stance and swung the pole once, and the othe Master laughed and said "you missed the flies!"

All that looked on laughed with the famous Master and young CLC said "yes but look on the floor." After he said that this master looked down and the smile now became an embarrassment as he still killed the flies without hitting them.

Young Master Cheung Lai Chun said your pole techniques are the best around that is true even better than mine, but you must have
    Ging in the staff in order for it to be Deadly!! Understanding this the master bowed down to Cheung Lai Chun and then said can i teach you my most advance stick form as a sign of respect, which he did.

So where does the bak mei pole come from?

sui fuw

i do believe so with timing and breathing also!

what do you think?