Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Predator vs. Prey

Predator vs. Prey

"All animals grapple -
    well all predators. Tigers, Lions, Wolves all will grab hold of prey and bring it down to the ground to finish it off. Prey will lash out with it's hooves; but
    predators will grab on. Rule of thumb - Prey strikes - Predators grapple. There- that should end the wrestler vs striker debate once and for all."

Got this from Michael E. Reilly's web site. Food for thought.

Go tell that to Mike Tyson.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Well, I guess Mr. Reilly has never seen a venomous snake attack.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Venomous snakes are predators, and they strike.

Scopions are predators, and they strike.

Big cats also walk on all fours, do you?

Silva is one mean deer!

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

Grab this...............

Eagles and falcons and such don't grapple.

How does Tyson do that combo? Jab, Jab, Chomp...yea I think that's it.

That doesn't really end the wrestler vs. striker debate. That wouldn't explain the rise in victory by KO, TKO or ref stoppage in MMA events (unless someone is going to say that the rules "favor strikers" ).

Also, street thugs/criminals (could be considered "predators") generally use weapons (guns, knives, etc.) and those attacks could generally be considered "strikes".

It's an interesting analogy, but I don't agree that it "ends" anything.
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

I believe that hawks, eagles and scorpians hold and strike (ground and pound?) their prey.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

LOL, badger!

Paul,
    Eagles and falcons grab with their talons and lift their prey off the ground. That is closer to grappling than it is striking.
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

Of all the toys I got to play with in the USMC, I cannot recall one that "grappled", and of all the effective ones, all of the strike!

Here we go........try to grab this

Tnwingstun

you are my new favorite butt kicker!!!! nice pic man

Grappling

Tigers, wolves, etc have vicious claws and very sharp teeth. Humans have, evolutionarily speaking, lost these. If you want to go to the expense of having 2"canines implanted in your jaws and razor blades in your fingertips then I'd say that you would be the danged best grappler in the world. It is dangerous, academically speaking, to apply behavioral scemas accross species lines especially when dealing with species of higher cognition (us). A good comparison to humans would be a dog that had it's canines pulled, or a cat that has been declawed in such a situation. Humans can bite and claw but these injuries are seldom life thrteatening. When a tiger latches onto its prey death is almost always a forgone conclusion. And the intent is to kill so the tiger can continue to eat and reproduce, insuring the survival of the species. When hunting these predators humans did not grapple with them they developed weapons to effectively kill them from a relatively safe distance. And the predator/prey model you used involves a stronger opponent (Tiger) against a weaker one (gazelle) or any of the other mainstays of the tiger diet. You will find that infighting among predators themselves sometimes produces different martial behaviors because the playing field has been leveled. When predators hunt it is, many times, in packs and almost always against a weaker opponent. Expenditure of energy and risk are factors to consider. That is why they pick out the weakest ones along the margins of the herd to attack. I'm not saying that the hypothesis is wrong altogether but before you make lofty claims like this a little book knowledge might save you some trouble. Why not examine our closest(genetically speaking) relatives - chimpanzees. See how they fight each other. You find a lot of posturing, displays, and usage of rudimentary weapons but when a larger, more powerful opponent wanders into the area they dont get them into the gaurd and choke them out - they usually head for the trees!
    Last edited by Jockwurst; 01-30-2002 at 03:02 PM.

If you're trying to say that to be a predator one must evolve from a striker to a groundfighter then you have no idea

what a real predator is.

Will Barbra Boxer not let you guys out of the caves??