Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back and posterior deltoid

Hybrid View

back and posterior deltoid

Kinda cool havin you ppls for help.

What are some exercises you folks use for the back of the delts and back? all back

For functionality, but hey looks not bad either

Thanks,
    Shane

Back: Pullups are king for the lats. Do palms away from you, hands a bit wider than shoulder width. Deadlifts will rock your legs and your lower back. In fact, deadlifts are probably the best lower back exercise ever. As for the middle of the back, pullups hit them a bit, but so do rows and deadlifts a bit, too.

Posterior deltoids. Um, if you want to isolate, do reverse flies on the chest fly machine. Otherwise, lateral shoulder raises (like you would do for your middle delts) but bending over will hit the rear delts. Oh yeah, pullups work them too

Traps (cuz they're part of your back): I guess shrugs, but I don't like shrugs. Deadlifts will hit them a bit. Shurgs are probably your best bet though. Just don't go crazy with the shrugs. Huge traps look stupid, especially if they're way bigger in proportion to everything else on your body.

Iron
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Huge traps look stupid

Iron
    no way bro. im on a personal mission to eliminate my neck.
    where's my beer?

lol dude I just realized you quoted a 9 year old post of mine

thats ****ing awesome.

also ... for others who are saying things .... dont go above shoulder level on lateral raises simply because it will **** your shoulders up. im too drunk to elaborate on the physiology, but range of motion does not in any way equate to maximum resistance on isolation exercises. if you are doing rehab / prehab .. . then sure, very light resistance (light dbs / bands) in full range of motion are great for getting blood flowing to the area. however, this same principal does not apply to actual strength training. big compound movements (squat, deadlift, overhead, clean, snatch, etc) are best done in the fullest range of motion in which propper technique can be maintained. this builds functional strength by doing what the body was designed to do with resistance. isolation movements are not the same. these are designed to build muscle / get blood flowing in areas that might be weak / injured. toward this end, time under tension is far more important than intensity, and limiting the range of motion can help toward this end, while also maintaining joint health. ill try to review my post tomorrow, when im not ****ing hammered to clarify.
    where's my beer?

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Hercules' Elbows, House of Lizard Kung.

Elbows in and down moves with extending forward and elbows back-passed your shoulder.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

What are lateral shoulder raises?

For traps, what about upright rows.

You're really pushing those pullups

Robin
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Originally posted by Sevan
    What are lateral shoulder raises?
    Flap your arms like a bird...now put dumbells in your hands. Viola! You are now doing lateral raises!

Try to keep a slight bend in your elbow to reduce stess on the joint...

Post Delts

King of post-delt work is the face pull. Stand facing a pull-down machine with a tricep strap. Pull towards your forehead while spreading your hands out.

i'll try

Heyas, thanks for the help, and i'll try em out and then give some feedback.

Thanks,
    Shane

And when doing lateral raises, don't raise your hands higher than your shoulders.

Iron

Try this

This is the best way to work your posterior deltoids bro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhaJbtIT9cM

Quote Originally Posted by Robinf View Post
    For traps, what about upright rows.
    The upper traps end up getting involved in lateral raises or upright rows, yeah. If you want to hit more of the trap overall (middle and lower fibers) bending over accomplishes this, plus rhomboids.
    Last edited by tyciol; 03-06-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I always wondered why you don't raise your hands higher than your shoulders.
    I would believe you would have full range of motion-yes/no?
    Also, try doing lateral raises bent over. Some people rest their head on something.
    It's great for people playing tail on the Lion Dance.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Your chinup/pullup combo would probably be your best bet for back, it runs the gauntlett on your whole back and core. With pullups (palms facing) you do tend to use biceps to "pull" so you won't get the full work of the back. I would sugest going wide grip on the chin up and raise up until the bar touches the back of your neck this causes your shoulder blades to touch almost like your crushing a grape.

Rear delts; I'll agree with IronFist reverse flys work great. However your still going to get the "crush grape" motion that you would from a chinup, just from a diffrent angle.

TenTigers

"I always wondered why you don't raise your hands higher than your shoulders.
    I would believe you would have full range of motion-yes/no?"

Granted you do get full range of motion, however once you get a few inches above the shoulder line (while the muscle is flexed from the weight) you start to lose the contraction of the muscle. So I think its a matter of getting the most out of the motion and not a safety thing. But then again I could be talking out of my arse. I'm just speculating from my time in the gym and not from acctuall scientific knowledge, just experience.