Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: published technique

hunt,blast5,VS,WH

Excuse the abbreviations-cant keep up with all the AKA-s and the skimpy profiles.
    WH is correct that if you have an incompetent opponent things can work. But Blast5(Ng?) is on target IMO. VS is also correct that if you do the tan da with good timing-the power structure for the other hand will be destroyed or weakened. If the other hand comes up you can tan da on the other side to intercept the other hand-if you have the inside line. WSL knew what he was doing with the tan da. Whether the tan da or biu motion is better is a
    contextual question...and somewhat technique oriented...the same technique is not for all occasions. Very good chi sao skills trains you to judge the nature of the incoming force- angle, power,
    speed etc.As Ng pointed out - in an article one shows a possible scenario in the way of illustration of a principle. Magazines would not publish a 100 different examples of each principle.
    So in this case I do not agree with Hunt's critique of the tan da.
    Besides a good wc can change a motion at the slightest touch
    to control the force- so the tan can easily change to lop da. Of coursea tight short hook should not be underestimated- but practice practice- there is an old wc saying-there is no unstoppable move. Beginners can be frightened by hooks, kicks lots of things. BTW Alan lamb has gone through some major health problems- but in actuality he is a very knowledgeable guy-
    though he is ina different lineage from me.

After looking at the photos I disagree more with the first set of photos than the second. First, I would have to agree with hunt1 that the tan sau should be used as an attacking hand against the attacking limb. It's also in my opinion that if you are going to tan on the inside, it would be wise to expect the second free arm to attack you. Therefore I would'nt waste any further energy on the first arm, but would concentrate instead on covering the open area that the free arm still poses a threat. And whether or not the opponent chooses to strike or not - I would still cover the area that is open to attack and strike with whatever I thought suitable.

IMO - striking to the root/center to weaken a strike against you does'nt always work. Sometimes you can still end up on the losing side of an exchange.

Just different schools of thought, I guess.
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

rene/lan sao

Thanks Rene, I wanted to PM you to continue the discussion, but yours is not enabled. I was at first confused by your explaination, but now I realize that the technique is very similar to the main block to a hook I learned during my 6 months of studying northern mantis. In mantis, you grab the inside of the elbow or slightly higher on the arm, while using the outside of your forearm against the inside of the forearm of the incoming hook. Your elbow is slightly lower than the opponent's forearm in the vertical plane, while the top of your hand is slightly above the arm in the vertical plane, obviously since your hand is grabbing the opponents arm/elbow. The difference in the lan sao version being that your hand is kept open, palm facing down, apparently resting on the opponents upper arm just above the elbow. Is my assessment correct? I found the Praying Mantis block to be highly effective in stopping a hook, and can visualize that the Lan Sao would be the same. However, this is one of those techniques that is impossible to execute with boxing gloves on, the glove would bounce off of the upper arm and create too much space between yours and the opponent's forearm.
    Thanks for the info!
    -FJ

Hi phil,

Missed you at the school last Thursday. Heard you came again. I read the article. I think it was a very good article. The pictures are okay. Pictures give soooo little information that it shouldn't be argued over. Hey, tell Keith that he looks 20 pounds heavier in the photo. Hope he's doing well. In fact you look a little beefed up in the photo. Photos add so much false weight. See ya!

Andrew