Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fighting very very big opponents.

I guess I had best add few points to this post, the reason being that I am one of those big opponents that can worry a martial artist.

When it comes to moves that hurt, I guess a good knee shot (as mentioned by curtis)or a stamp/seven star step onto the instep or toes has stopped me in the past.

I do expect a few nut or head shots, but then again I m MA too, a drunken neanderthal may just try and hit as hard as he can and forget defence. Thats fine as long as you dont catch a big swinging haymaker punch.

Prem mentioned moving in and out and alternating attack angles, that works great if I try and follow. After a short while I end up exhausted and easy prey. I tend to remain fairly static now and try to let the little guy burn up energy bouncing around.

I have taken on grapplers before, some of the most painfull things that I have had are the little finger and the thumb being twisted or wrenched, that really put me off hitting back with that hand. But it takes confidence to go up close, I have had some people try it and panic when they are caught (not that I would harm a sparring partner of course)

I have found a good shot to the temple and armpits works well too, hitting around the stomach, chest, upper legs and arms is something I soak up well.

The only way I can recommend (as mentioned by Jerry) for getting used to bigger opponents is to spar with one. Also talk through the techniques. At my old club a good freind of mine ( a 6'3" and 20 stone Wing Chun sifu) and I used to get kitted up in full body armour and go beserk, this gave the other blokes a feel for taking on a 'charging bull' and let them go in full contact with some hits. However if in doubt avoid a fight or use that chair!

Either way the martial artist I have always found difficult to take on are guys who are experienced, relaxed and confident with their style. I hope this is of some use and that I have not just fallen into stating the obvious (bear in mind I am a large thick neanderthal when it comes to explaining myself), all the best folks

Outcast
    Last edited by Outcast; 02-21-2002 at 05:27 PM.

I qualify as a very big guy, I'm 6'7" 275lbs. There are three main problems that people have against me while training, and I assume that they'll have the same problems on the street.

1. Keep your guard up up up up up. My strikes are comming down to your head. If your hands are at your eye level, I'm still looking down over your hands, with clear open shots to you head. You'll feel like you have a very large opening in your middle, but don't worry too much about it. The angle is so severe that it's difficult for me to strike there.

2. Chop the tree. Don't open with head strikes. You have to hit low, ribs, knees, groin, to open up the throat and face.

And the hardest one to deal with...

3. Range. My optimum range is 2 or 3 inches outside of your range. If you let me control the range of the fight, you will always be out of range to hit. My legs are longer, a lot longer. You can't afford to stay at the end of my feet, you have to come inside. Pick your kicks carefully. Depending on how you kick, my arms are as long as your legs. A straight punch destroys your balance when you are trying to kick.

Hope this helps. I second what Outcast said, train against big guys. That's probably the best help. And don't worry too much, almost everyone I train with is smaller than me (big suprise) and I have a long way to go before I never loose .

S.V.
    Last edited by Silicon Vortex; 02-22-2002 at 12:34 PM.

lie down and take the beating..accept the fact that you are f**ked!

Honestly..rely on smart instinct- hit and get out. Doesn't matter what you do as long as you clear the space to hit the road!!!!
    Michael Panzerotti
    Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

I'd rather fight a big guy in training situations. Otherwise I feel like a bully.

Take what you can get. Chop him down piece by piece but this happnes quickly. Don't want to go into detail how, because of technology sharing -- can't do it.

But think of hitting what is there, think of chi sau. The brige is there. Don't be kind in making a bridge. From the double bridge its now about sensitivity. Find the whole and hit it violently.

Size matters no doubt! But the snake does not beat fox because of its size.

Use your Brains!!!!

Start crying and blubbering for your mother and when he turns away in disgust kick him in the back!
    "Yeah baby of course it real, it's all me all 12 inches of Grogan!"
    "No baby that's not a Handy Cam mounted to the ceiling, that's my new fangled smoke detector".

what works better against big attackers? short range techniques or long range techniques?

I would suggest it's not the range that is important. It your skilled level and what your most proficient in. Each long and short range have their advantages and disadvantages.
    Fighting is not a sport. It involves mainly pure aggression/violence and lightening fast responses. (Meaning whatever you do must be natural for you.)
    My suggestion would be, whatever you do making quick, to take the opponent out as fast as possible so that you can continue on with your life.
    Don't let your opponents advantages become your disadvantages.
    The easiest way to do that. Is to remember your life is online. Making it count !!!
    Sincerely C.A.G.

Take him down and hold on for dear life!!!
    A