Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Feng Shui

they are only suggested ideas

but some realtors or furnishing companies may go to extremes

and prop up their realty or furnitures prices

these are what people strongly against.

feng shui is like that

there maybe 10 years of east wind. there may be 10 years of west wind.

the yellow river changed directions all the time, we may be east of the river for 10 years, and then west of the river for 10 years.

10 years means a long time or many years in Chinese.

everything changes. even feng (wind) and shui (river/water).

so they said.

Feng Shui in Dilbert

I'm of the Penn & Teller school of Feng Sham.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

yeah, we all want to live and work in an environment that is clean, tidy and somewhat peaceful and not stressful.

Who wouldn't!?

Think of feng shui people as a different kind of interior designer.

But yeah, if you think that chair is messing with your spiritual energy because it has a pointed leg, well...you are nuts. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Don't get me started...

...oh too late.

See my archived e-zine article: Iron Crotch Opens the Door.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My office had a Chinese client who had a Wu, a kind of Chinese shaman, flown in from China to determine the best location of the front door to their business. A exterior freestanding wall had to be built to block some bad energy from down the street. And don't get me going about numbers and what day to sign a contract, etc.

Dilbert continued

Coincidentally, I have a Dilbert calendar here at the office.

Also in the comics this week, Sherman's Lagoon is doing a kung fu spoof. Unfortunately, unlike Dilbert's official site, SL doesn't post its strips until they are a week or so old. I suppose I can grab it off a newspaper, but those tend to evaporate later, so I'll probably wait until it goes official in hopes that it is more stable from the source.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

foon sui is like chi. It only exists in ones mind. Everything we do is dependant upon ourselves really. Luck is a strange thing. It favors no one and it can go blindly either way. However, by covering all points you can remove more of what you do from under that umbrella. Leave less to luck by planning everything with good sound basic knowledge of what you are doing. Do that in everything and you will always have a much better chance of success. There are always factors that will alter your best plans, such as the actions of other people, but if you can even plan against that you will still not have to depend upon luck. Unless making good solid judgements and planning for things can be considered foon sui. Otherwise it is little more than superstition. And then again, doing superstitious things can actually releave stress to some extent.

I'm so using this line

It's not the first time I've poached a quote from Wally...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Feng shui in the southern hemisphere

Green dragon protecting the waterways to the east, white tiger protecting the roads to the west, red pea**** protecting the fields to the south, and black tortoise protecting the mountains to the north.

While this formula works great for the northern hemisphere, English colonists discovered that building houses with entrances facing the south in New Zealand identically to in their homelands would expose them to freezing Antarctic winds.

How do the constants work in both hemispheres (such as the rotation of the earth, and the position of the sun), what are the differences (such as north and south pole magnetism) and how can feng shui be adjusted for the south?
    Last edited by Gowgee; 09-25-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Can't believe my post got censored for peac 0 ck! ;-)

Adjust the orientation of the houses to suit the changes on the physical level, but keep the metaphysical calculations/considerations the same for both hemispheres, because the physical is local and needs adjustments while the metaphysical is universal and it remains the same all over the world.

Thanks for your advice, extrajoseph.

I'm wondering how this works on a directional level though, since Winter is traditionally associated with North, Autumn with the East etc. Do these still remain in their traditional positions?

I can't begin to fathom this

Feng Shui is supposed to follow nature, not paint it green.

Look: Chongqing man paints 900m cliff green for 'better feng shui'

Feng shui is serious, serious business for some people in China. The ancient art has led men onto the path of corruption and, in extreme cases, driven them to a murderous state. Recently in the Qijiang county of Chongqing, a resident went as far as to cover an entire cliff face with green paint, as its original color had 'a negative influence on the feng shui of his house'.

The man, Yang Zhigang, commissioned a team of five to six workers who were seen dangling from safety ropes to coat the cliff face a bright, some might say horrible, shade of green. The workers spent over a week spray-painting around 2,000 square meters of the 900-meter high cliff, leaving areas on either side untouched.

Local authorities are now investigating the case to determine the extent of the damage, although Zhang seems to consider the makeover a vast improvement.

“I think it [the cliff] looks good after a coat of paint, what’s right or wrong about it?” he was quoted as saying.

[Images via CRI]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

random ttt

Couldn't cut&paste the pic. He does look like a K-pop star.

A FAMOUS FORTUNETELLER REVEALS HIS SECRETS
    BY LESLIE NGUYEN-OKWUAUG 122016
    RISING STARS

The ancient practice of fortunetelling in China may conjure up images of white-bearded sages on misty mountaintops, but there’s no crystal ball in Lee Shing Chak’s cramped office. It’s the Year of the Monkey, and those born as “roosters” like me can look forward to plenty of sex and romance in the coming months, Lee announces. If I argue with others, though, he warns, my “joints, bones, fingers and muscles may ache.”

The bearer of this hallowed wisdom is an urbanite from Hong Kong. The 47-year-old Lee looks recklessly young, like a K-pop star, but his boyish appearance belies his decades of feng shui experience. Lee sees his work through a “scientific perspective,” and he’s on a mission to bring the timeworn philosophy into the 21st century.

Lee is among the best-known feng shui masters in Hong Kong, with a growing roster of both local and international clients. He enjoys media attention and rarely shies away from a camera. For the past 15 years, his sculpted face and soulful sloe eyes have graced magazine covers and TV screens; he’s appeared on the biggest stations and channel news networks, including TVB’s Hong Kong Enigmata. Lee also lectures at everything from financial institutions to land developers, and pens articles for media publications like Sing Tao Daily and the Hong Kong Economic Times. He abides by the 3,000-year-old art of feng shui — a belief system about far more than organizing your room: It purports to spread good qi (life force) by balancing yin (dark energy) and yang (light energy) across your life. The goal, Lee says, is to bring people closer to the natural and invisible pulse of their environment. Lee wants to make something clear: He isn’t pulling rabbits out of a hat or using smoke and mirrors. Rather, he’s drawing from millennia of expertise in metaphysics, statistics, astronomy, sociology and a whole host of other disciplines to bring balance into the world.

Every lunar year, Lee relays his prophecies of doom and nuggets of wisdom with “scary accuracy” to the world, says fellow fortune teller Thean Nang. Lee claims to have published accurate predictions, with empirical data, in a yearly prophecy almanac on the 2014 World Cup winner, Osama bin Laden’s death, the birth of Prince George and the Ebola epidemic in West Africa — all months, or even years, ahead of the curve. Which explains how Lee has cashed in on millions in book sales, though he was too stately to go into specifics (“I try not to boast,” he says).

It helps that Lee’s growing roster of clients pays big bucks for him to divine the future, pick the best burial spots or choose a baby name that will bring good luck. Lee says that real estate companies and corporations like Citibank and Samsung seek his counsel on everything from the ideal office location to the best paint color for walls (both companies declined to comment for this story). Lee declined to name specific price tags; other feng shui services typically cost anywhere from $25 to $3,000 in China. The more involved and time-consuming the service, the more expensive.

Banned as superstition for 60 years and counting in mainland China, feng shui is making a quiet comeback, with families and businesses alike seeking spiritual guidance in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau, where newly middle-class mainlanders with more disposable wealth have been crossing the border to seek supernatural guidance and spiritual shortcuts to success. Perhaps the verboten nature only increases the appeal — the Communist Party forbade feng shui books in 2013 as part of an anti-superstition campaign; it certainly isn’t hurting business abroad. Hong Kong’s distance from the Communist Party has allowed feng shui to flourish, says Lee. During our interview, a handful of businessmen stop by his office anxious for guidance on big financial decisions. Meanwhile, expectant mothers are lining up at nearby hospitals hoping to deliver on so-called auspicious days that Lee determines, to give their babies a head start in the world.

At 10, Lee learned to cultivate good qi from his father, who learned it from his father. Traditionally, masters relay their techniques to their next of kin. Dad also taught geomancy skills — the discerning of specific earth formations and watercourses — as well as how to read a luopan (羅盤), or a Chinese magnetic compass that is used to help balance energy. At 19, Lee became the youngest feng shui master ever in Hong Kong. But he still had to prove himself to patrons wary of his inexperience. To conceal his baby face, Lee advertised with a silhouette of himself rather than a photograph.

In those days, though, Lee had even bigger reasons to conceal his identity. People who dabbled in feng shui were beaten and disgraced by the government in mainland China, particularly during the height of the Cultural Revolution, which coincided with Lee’s prepubescence. Over the years, leading a more public life hasn’t become any easier for Lee. Skeptics of feng shui still question the “superstition of it all, the pseudoscience,” says a Hong Kong expat and dissatisfied former client of Lee’s who prefers to go unnamed. “He doesn’t hold all the answers. Not even God does.”

But every leader has his detractors — and this feng shui guru believes he’s fulfilling his destiny, like a “boat in a vast ocean,” Lee says in reply to the criticism. “Apart from having a clear direction, you must also have an unswerving, steadfast heart when powerful winds or big waves come, just like the anchor of that ship.” Which sounds a tad more lyrical than scientific.

Leslie Nguyen Bio
    LESLIE NGUYEN-OKWU
    OZY AUTHOR REPORTER

Leslie Nguyen-Okwu is OZY's Southeast Asia roving reporter. Stuff she loves: running half-marathons (in sweltering Thai heat), chowing down on local street food and fumbling with new languages.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips