Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who here knows all 10 Northern Shaolin Forms??

Who here knows all 10 Northern Shaolin Forms??

How long have you studied, do you know all of them, and what do you like about them! Sorry, I got really tired of reading about well formed BUTTS!! So, I started a new thread!

~Wen~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

Talking

I do.-ED
    "jooo jeestu's lika sex bro, you godda put your heeps to eet."
    -Megaton

What are the main 10?
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

sorry the only thing I read in your text was well shaped butts.. ..

Mine? well of courze.. How about u?
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

GinSue, maybe you could drop by Vegas, and help me brush up on the ones that I know Seriously, though when are you planning to stop by again? Knifefighter's trip was canceled, so I didn't get a chance to meet him either.

Anyway, I know 7 of the 10 (I still need to learn 2, 3, and 10). A couple of them are from the Ku Yu Cheung lineage (the same ones that Wing Lam, and of course our great mod Kung Lek study), and the rest are from the Chin Woo versions (at least I think that's where they're from). I've see the KYC versions of the other forms I know (from Wing Lam's tapes ), and they're very similar. The principles are all still there, but there are a few different details in there (back kick instead of a side kick, and stuff like that).

I've also seen a different "10 hand sets" than the ones that we're doing. They're all very different from each other, so that you learn different aspects/principles with each set. I know we're supposed to be learning the same way, but our forms are so similar that once you learn a few, the rest come easy. These sets had totally different feels and moves in them. I think the tape mentioned something about them being older than Shaolin Temple, and brought in later or something like that. I'm not sure, though because I don't speak Chinese.
    Jaguar Wong
    The 6th Deadly Venom!

Jaguar's Wife (To "Judo" Gene Lebell): "Excuse me, my friend (Tigerstyle) wants to know if we can take a picture of you choking him."
    Gene LeBell (in a gravely voice): "If he don't mind, I don't mind."
    - actual event from DragonFest 1999

Are you talking about
    little red boxing
    big red boxing
    tong bei chuan
    the two lohan
    lian huan chuan
    etc. if so, I knew some, but not all, and really don't remember them. Anywho, right now we are working on our northern, and we we have done a basic broadsword form, yee (first) chuan, szu (fourth) chuan, 5 of the lines from 10 line tan tui, and a short staff form.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Shaolin 10

I know the Bak Sil Lum 10 (I wrote those Wing Lam videos.) I only know 3 of the Songshan Shaolin 10 - and not very well. Give me another lifetime for those. Unfortunately my eZine article - Who’s got the real Shaolin Kungfu? Bak Sil Lum vs. Shaolin Temple - is offline right now as we are reformatting our eZine, otherwise I'd post the link. It should be up soon.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene-
    I would be really interested in reading that. Give me a hollar when you get it back up and running!!! Thanks...

~Wen~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

I know all 10 set and the 10 are divided into two groups; lower and upper. The lower are #6, #7, #8, #5, and #4 while the upper five are #1,#2,#3, #9 and #10. Many years ago when KYC was teaching NSL, the disciples performed the upper sets more in demonstrations and the most popular were #3, #1 and #2. In the next generation, the disciples favored the lower sets in demonstrations with #6 and #4 being the most popular. YSM favorite set was #6.

Each set has its own flavor and those who know all 10 can tell that #9 and #10 have a very different flavor than the other sets.

What I like about these sets is that even though the sets themselves are complex, it was very easy to learn and practice.

Remember each set is teaching a certain set of techniques while still containing the transitional techniqueswhich serves as connecting moves for the main techniques. Every technique flows right into the next like water and for sets to have this fluidness is related directly to the generations of masters perfecting each set without changing the flavor and the essence.

The longer you practice the sets the more you understand the flavor and the essence of each set. The understanding of how the movements relate to the Yin and Yang become clear.

Also keep in mind the techniques are deep and not just fancy movements. Each technique has the obvious and the hidden application. Understand this and fighting with NSL becomes easy to apply.

I've been practing NSL for almost 40 years and my favorite sets are still #8, #2, #10 and #3. Least liked is still #9.

10 hand sets

Northern Practioner: Those sets you mentioned are considered Shaolin sets but they are not the 10 hand sets of shaolin.

I learned set #6 Duan Da (Short Strike) and #4 Chuan Xin (Pierce the Heart during my time with Lai Hung. Being the poor student that I am I have since all but forgotten them. As far as I know the only books available are Lai Hung's on set #6 and Wing Lam's on set #7 Mei Hua (Plum flower fist).

I have been coveting the 10 hand set videos by Wing Lam for a long time, but have always been too cheap to get them.

I also eagerly await the reposting of Gene's article.
    "I believe that, in a stupid society, intelligence is useless." - Shen Congwen (My Education)

watch out with the plum flower form, their are at least two (bak sil lum, and the shaolin) that are different, but both are called plum flower. Both happen to be nice forms, but not the same. Gene's article about Bak sil lum vs. Northern Shaolin explains it I believe.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

My knowledge of the core ten sets is limited. My sifu teaches the Bak sil lum system as secondary learning to the main systems of Black Tiger and 5 animals styles which he propogates.

Si Fu has taught me some North Shaolin (Bak Sil Lum) but not all of the ten core sets. it was good training to learn about high kicks and some of the differences between northern and southern Shaolin styles.

As for the Shaolin taught in the temple today, i know even less

Also, I believe that Chan Kowk Hai wrote a book on the short strike set. Still trying to find the book. This is the first of the core ten sets i was taught.

Many styles have plum flower sets. Including some styles of hung Kyun. But they do differ in many fashions. However they all travel in either 4 or 5 directions as the plum flower has petals and hence it's name.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Northernshaolin,
    Yes the sets have different flavors and some different techniques, but there are some similar techniques (especially in the "lower 5") that make learning the rest a little easier. It took me a while to learn 6, 7, and 8, but after that 4 and 5 came relatively quickly. 1 took quite a while (it was the first of the "upper 5" that we learned), but 9 was a little quicker learnin' (you're right, I don't know all 10, but I don't like 9). those are the only two from the upper 5 that I know, but man they're freakin' LONG!

As for demos, I wish I could have been there during the days when the upper 5 were demoed (I've seen footage of Sifu Ken Hui's school demoing 1 and I think 9). I used to demo 6 all the time, then when I learnt 7 I did that all the time, then it was 8 then 5 (I never demoed 4), but I refuse to attempt 1 or 9 . I've won three open karate tournaments with 5 and 8, so those two are my favorites (8 is my favorite of all, though). 6 is the one that's so ingrained I'll never forget that one, though.

Practicing the sets have given me so much agility that even when I was overweight (I still am, but I don't do kung fu as much) I still had most of the speed and all the flexibility. I remember when some kung fu guys from South America (Brazil I think) visited, and I did 5 for them they were kind of caught off guard, and one of them told me I reminded him of Sammo Hung (I wasn't that overweight, but still ). I thought that was funny, and somewhat flattering.

I gained the most by practicing number 8, though. That's where I got the ability to throw spinning kicks as part of a combo, as well as setting them up with hand techniques. I also got some "bridging speed" from it as well.
    Jaguar Wong
    The 6th Deadly Venom!

Jaguar's Wife (To "Judo" Gene Lebell): "Excuse me, my friend (Tigerstyle) wants to know if we can take a picture of you choking him."

Jag,
    Hopefully before the end of the year, maybe even this summer. It is hard to say at this point, but I will definitly give you a heads up.-ED
    "jooo jeestu's lika sex bro, you godda put your heeps to eet."
    -Megaton

Cool, I'm all for it. Maybe you could help me with Shaolin #9
    Jaguar Wong
    The 6th Deadly Venom!