woliveri Guest

Hong Gia

Anyone heard of or practiced this art?

<A HREF="http://hong-gia.org/" TARGET="_blank">http://hong-gia.org/</A>

Thanks

Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East
    By Baird T. Spalding

DreamLover Guest
    That is simply the Vietnamese inherited version of Hung Kuen (Mainland's Hung Gar, similar to but different from HaySayFu). Probably better than many other Hunggar stuff around. Sounds very good, I'd check it out.

Tru-MA Guest

Hong-Gia?!?

Hi there. I live near that school. It's about a 5 minute walk from my house. You sure that that's Hung Gar? The website says that it's an internal martial art. But I thought that Hung Gar was external? Ah well, hey, woliveri, I'll check it out for you since it's so close to my house, and I'll report back for if it's good or if it sucks.

DreamLover Guest
    La Phu Son - Lao Hu Shan
    It is the internal Wujiquan (of Wudang internal)combined with
    Hong Gia - Hong Jia
    The hong system of sth china that emphasises 5 animals andheaps of internal methods as well amazing methods.

Killah-B Guest

I don't know

I have a friend at my job whose Vietnamese and claims his wifes uncle in Ca. knows this style.He trained Hung gar himself and says it doesn't resemble nor has anything to do with Hunggar.

Brad Guest
    It say's HONG Gia not HUNG Gia. I don't think it has anything to do with Hung Gar.

Brad Guest
    Does anyone else think that's a creepy lookin' picture? Look at his chest!

Erasmus Lightstone Guest

I posted a post on the SAME topic below!

Hi,

I was very confused too!! Because I studied a style called Hong CHA. The sifu said it was Shaolin 5 animal kung fu and the "sister style" to Hung Gar. I've gotten responses from some that Hong is the Mandarin way of pronouncing Hung and that CHA is the phonetical pronunciation for the word Jia or Gar. What caused me to raise an eyebrow was the when I studied it-the Sifu(Jan Miller) said that it was a Southern Shaolin 5 animal system--while now I hear that he is still teaching and he lists it as a NORTHERN Shaolin 5 animal style. I didn't think that Northern Shaolin even had the 5 animals? I know nothing about Vietnam or anything--but I'd be VERY interested in hearing anyone elses experiences. Thanks. Signed-feeling cheated and looking to study a real style(Wing Chun,Eagle Claw) that people have HEARD of!

Brad Guest
    Thought this might help.

From Kungfu Mgazine January 2000 (top 100 styles):

"Hong Quan(Red Fist): Not to be confused with Hung Gar, this is a Northern long fist school that is often synonymous with Shaolin. It's origin is unclear, but some attribute it to Song Taizu, the first Song emperor. Others believe that the word Hong is used because as an analogy to 'bright' or 'good looking'. Because of this ambiguity and the overlap with the popular Southern style Hung Gar, this has been one of the most muddled terms in Kungfu. Hong Quan focuses on absorbing the adversary's energy with a soft outside and a hard inside. Many of it's forms are an important part of the Shaolin Temple curriculum."

DreamLover Guest
    There is about 15 different Hong Quan, gees whats this cut and paste crap.
    Hung gar around the world (Popular) is **** Luk a chois shaolin
    Hay Say Fu of wing lam is some other stuff
    Hung Kuen is again different.
    etc...go ask them based on five animals of course I know my friend is a vietnamese martial artist and knows this gees!!!!

Erasmus Lightstone Guest

Question for Wu Win Legend

Dear Wu Win,

Thank you for your knowledge. In your first post you claim it is the Southern Shaolin 5-animal,etc. Are you saying that Hong Jia is in fact Hung Gar? I'm sorry to be redundant-but I have heard a few different opinions on this. I have read that Yuen Yik Kai is a master of "5 animal Hung Kuen"(arrrrgggh!! yet MORE confusion)

woliveri Guest

Tru-MA

I have visited the school and the price is right
    (around 30.00 or so a month) but didn't know of
    the quality or history. I would be interested in
    what Tru-MA finds out.

Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East
    By Baird T. Spalding

HungGar123 Guest

hong gia is hung gar

I think hong gia is hung gar. The only different is just the spelling, isnt it?

Hung Gar is the best...

Erasmus Lightstone Guest

Question for Tru Ma

Tru Ma-

Can you please tell me where in California the school is located? I would be interested in contacting them to know more info and wether or not their Hong Gia is in fact the same Hong Cha that I learned. My e-mail adress is: Healerprophet@aol.com Regards

Nam Phan vs. Kung Fu Fighter

When are MMA challengers gonna fight people their own age? This Hong Gia 'Kung Fu Fighter' must have two decades on him at least...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart