Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hong Gia

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

When are MMA challengers gonna fight people their own age? This Hong Gia 'Kung Fu Fighter' must have two decades on him at least...
    To be fair, the older fella should have known himself better.
    Also, keep ya hands up!

Musashi was right when he said "you will fight like you practice".

Regular sparring free style helps a lot.

Kung Fu is good for you.

$.02

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    To be fair, the older fella should have known himself better.
    Also, keep ya hands up!
    I don't know how these older guys get suckered into these sorts of challenge matches. It's so dumb and tone deaf.

I got that ol' 'touch your forehead' drilled into me when I dabbled in Muay Thai in Bangkok. I only trained for a week there - in some cheap local gym - just for bragging rights. However they drove that lesson home so whenever I get tired, I have that reflex now.

I stumbled on this Hong Gia site recently and figured it might add to the resource of this thread:

7/24/201618:43(View: 11753)
    Hong-Gia Viet-Nam (La-Phu-Son)

Great Grand Master

Hong Gia Viet Nam La-Phu-Son is an ancient Taoist internal Kung Fu based upon Wu Chi (the essentials of Tai Chi, Hsing-I, and Pa Kua) and Nga Mi (Beautiful Eyebrow). It utilizes Noi Cong (nei kung), Chi Kung, and fighting movements so that students can develop (in order) health, strength, and self-defense.

La Phu Son Mountain

As an "internal" martial art it strives to obtain great speed and power with minimal physical effort by utilzing the tendons, chi, and body position. As in other internal styles, Hong Gia utilizes the five elements (Water, Earth, Wood, Fire, and Metal) and mimics the movements of many animals, the primary animals being Crane, Dragon, Tiger, Snake, and Leopard.

The original monastery was originally on La Phu mountain (La Phu Son) in an area that was formerly North East Vietnam. The area is now considered part of the New Territories of China and the mountain is called Lou-fu Shan and is approximately 6 miles NNW of Kowloon and Hong Kong.

Su Huynh Duc VN

The image above shows one of the students demonstrating the "Dragon Face". By tensing his tendons he makes the face of a dragon appear on his chest and abdomen. The bottom half of the face is covered by his sash, but the horns and eyes are clearly visible.

The new World Headquarters for Hong Gia La Phu Son is located at Little Saigon, California, USA. This location is run by master Ly Hong Thai. There are approximately two million students around the world.
    Moving on...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart