Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is northern manits strong points?

Question what is northern manits strong points?

What are the strong points in the northern mantis system, more hands then legs, throws or trapping/locking?

What makes n/mantis effective?

what is your favourite part of the mantis system?

thanks in advance
    FT

Northern Styles

Northern Styles mainly consist of more kicks than southern styles, this is because of the landscape in the two different parts of china (ie. hills).

It is effective because there are no flowery movements. It is a useful system, especially if you are physically strong, which is shown by the many strong stances used.

Effectively it is a modified form of Shaolin Lohan Long Hand Kung Fu, I have not practiced any other form of kung fu (although I did a bit of karate when younger) but I do really rate it as a system, both in terms of an art and a street fighting system.

It has plenty of grabs/locks and weapons as well in the system which makes it fairly well rounded I think. There are throws too.

My favourate parts of the system are the kicks as they are so effective. High kicks are also used which means you will become a lot more flexible, thought they would never be used in a fight situation the more flexible you are, the stronger your kicks are a low levels as they can be faster due to less resistance in terms of flexibility.

It is a very external form of kung fu which I like. There is conditioning involved. I love the method of blocks (of which there are many) such as grabs (which rely on a strong grip - this is one of the parts of the training) and solid blocks.

The main points to the system (as many others!) are power and speed.

Footwork is a big thing with northern mantis.It attacks both the upper and lower body simultanously.

What I mean in footwork is both kicking and moving.The hands distract while the legs move in quick for the set up and shake your balance while keeping your upper body busy.

Footwork changes from system to system.Real hardcore mantis guys will move in quick with fast hands and get a good position on you where it's hard to defend or attack from with out making yourself succeptible to being hit.In mantis you move into the opponent but to the sides out of harms way.

Another thing that mantis does is that it creates oppenings and is known ofr simultaneous attack and defend other than just block then attack.

The styles of praying mantis are deceptive with both hands and feet attcking in ways the opponent wont expect.

There is a saying in mantis that a memeber on this board used to say.If I remeber correctly the pesron said that the praying mantis motto was aim high to attack low, aim low to attack high.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

I agree with NorthernMantis and NPMantis. I would like to add that mantis is a system based on 12 character principles. This allows the mantis practioner flexiblity in thought and application.

I have watched other styles and systems; being please to witness how "mantis" a technique or application is and how I, as a mantis practioner, may deal with it. This allows the mantis practioner to "fill in the weak spots" with out leaving the system for greener pastures.

I am always amazed to witness the comprehensiveness of Northern Mantis. It is an intelligent system.

Lightbulb Mantis

Hi Mantis9,

yeah I love Mantis, people who know nothing of it may have visions of it being a rigid system with flowery fists and embroidered kicks - but they obviously haven't studies it! I love the fact it teaches you to be a complete fighter and there are many different levels of defence/attack depending on the situation and force required.

Take care bud.

One thing that I would like to add that I like about the Mantis system is speed.

In addition to the hooking and the footwork, the hand speed is really awesome.

mantis..

What about the chin-na and striking pressure/accupressure points?

Mantis

Mantis is really powerful, you mainly strike vulrable points of the body. In my style the three main striking points are the throat, eyes and groin. If it doesn't have much effect why use it?

As regards chin na, there are a vast amount of various locks and holds used - although you are not bewildered with hundreds of pointless moves, they are all potent.

Like any art, different classes will focus on different things, personally I believe mantis turns you into a complete fighter, there is nothing left out which would benefit you, although there is not much ground fighting work, understanding the concepts behind the chin na will help you a great deal in a ground situation.

I hope this answers your question!

Take care mate,

Mantis

Hmm.. I wonder if FT has seen this?
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Smile Im Back!

So it seems that chin na is a strong point as well as kicking?

i did hapkido for 4 years prior my YKM system, hapkido has many locks throws and many kicks would you say that there could be a link in this? 2 different countries and styles but similar throws and kicks, could have hapkido lent from mantis or visaversa?

sorry i didnt get back to you guys had a bad storm that fu(ked up my suburb!

later
    FT

Stacey Guest
    Hapkido's super stuff is the equivalent to NPM basic material.

More similar than different actually.

NPmantis

I know you said that mantis doesnt have much in the way of ground work , but that is not true of every mantis style.

Our style ba bu tang lang (8 step) has 240 ground fighting techniques called ground hugging footwork that is used when fighting from a fallen postion.

But I agree with your statement that mantis makes you a well rounded fighter and doesnt leave much out in the way of combat.
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

stacey

I dont think so!!

Maybe you need to check a hapkido school out, there first lesson and all lessons are locks, throws, kicks and punching.

n/mantis starts with stances and forms! am i wrong?

If I understood Stacey's statement correctly, the Chin Na in mantis systems is similar to Hapkido.

Nothing to do with the order of what you learn, just the actual techniques themselves.

I've only seen a little Hapkido(and Aikido), and it does look similar to the chin na techniques I know.

Mantis conditioning exercises
    In this thread no one has mentioned conditioning. In your respective Mantis styles, do you have cond. exercises?