Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Amatur fight, man has brain damage, overdoses, very sad

Merry,

In all honesty, you are absolutely correct. I am just horrified at how dangerous punches to the head can be. It is scary. You are right. Fighters die every single year.

What is particularly disturbing in this case is that it was amateur and his first fight. Most deaths occur in professionals, not all, but most. Most professionals do bad things to make weight, like dehydrate, which causes even more damage to the brain if you cannot re-hydrate fast enough before taking head shots.

Don't kid yourself bud, amateurs do that too.

but at least they wear headgear.

You know, the safety record of Amateur Boxing's not too shabby. I really think this is more of a "freak" accident than anything.

Most guys who are unprepared simply take a beating and go home... wake up sore in the morning.

I really don't think it's prohibitively dangerous.

"I really don't think it's prohibitively dangerous"

I don't think so either but it does show at least the athletes and trainers the importance of being prepared. Allot of fighters say two things about fighting. 1 is that you should train for every fight like it's the championship. 2 is that it isn't what happens in the fight that determines the out come, it's what happened weeks before.

People need to take fighting more serious and train harder for it. Latly people want to just go at it and forget how dangerous it really is. Be preparred
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

You'll get no argument from me on that

Sad, but not shocking. And who is too blame?

Hey, as a surfer, I know all to well that soemtimes people die doing what they enjoy. I myself have been in a few situations that had be kissing the beach when I got back -- but yet I return to surf ... because I love it.

Its sad when someone dies young, but he was doing what he wanted to do, otherwise he would not have stepped into the ring, no manager can do that. You have to have the desire before even showing up for training. Training, your manager, only helps you attain your goal.

So, why sad, I blame no one, not the kid, not the trainer, not the guy who hit him. It was an accident, it happens sometimes.

I for one will paddle out to surf again knowing some good guys have died, even in some small surf it happens, and I will get into the ring, because it is what I enioy.

May his soul, and the ones he left behind, find peace with this.