Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stickfighting in Kenpo

Stickfighting in Kenpo

Anyone care to explain the theory & method behind Kenpo Stickfighting and how it compares to Filipino stickfighting.

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

There seems to be some FMA influence in Kenpo's stick and knife methods.

It looks different but I have seen hu-bud and palisut in there training, they called it something else, but it looked filipino to me, the kenpo systems always seem to have an open mind on other training methods, they should just give credit where credit is due.
    Regards

Exclusively "Kenpo Stick fighting" doesn't really exist. I know you will find some super high ranking black belts to dissagree with me, but they're full of sh!t.

Kenpo DOES have some basic stick/club sets and drills. But as far as something like an entire system or anything more elaborate than just basic combinations, they aint there. Not American/Ed Parker's Kenpo anyway.

Much of the Kenpo done now is HEAVILY influenced by the Philipino systems, largely because of a man by the name of Huk Planas. A great guy altogether.

Sticks and knives do well in the Kenpo system, and there isn't a whole lot of adaptation to our techniues to add a stick or knife to them. There is a club set, and there are numerous defenses against clubs and knives.

But that is different than a system built around those weapons with those weapons specifically in mind.

As it is, Kenpo stickfighting envolves empty hand kenpo techniques modified to fit the weapon, and allot of Escrima.

Oh, and I always like to mention the influence of Texas Sifu Gary Swan when mentioning American Kenpo and weapons.

JWT
    Last edited by JWTAYLOR; 02-12-2002 at 04:20 PM.
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Man, I was REALLY expecting some ****ed off "grandmasters" calling me on this one.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

i'm surprised too, JWT. i was taking eskrima when 'the perfect weapon' came out. the local american kenpo school did demos at several showings. (i saw it in the theater a couple of times.)

invariably, someone would ask them whether he was doing eskrima with the sticks. and invariably, they'd get very bent out of shape. "no! it's nothing like eskrima!!"

eskrima. not eskrima. whatever. but to claim that anything involving two sticks is literally NOTHING like eskrima is daft. even if one had NO influence on the other, the flowing approach of kenpo is similar.

it's nice to hear from a kenpo practitioner who doesn't regard that as an insult of some sort.

stuart b.

Thanks for the reply man.

Also is there a Wing Chun influence in Kenpo?

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

None that I have found.
    JWT

"Anyone care to explain the theory & method behind Kenpo Stickfighting and how it compares to Filipino stickfighting."

Yep, they are exactly the same, hit your enemy fast and hard repetedly until they fall.

Come on now, no self respecting Kenpo man would every quit hitting a man after he was down.

Haven't you learned Dance of Death?

BTW, just bought a new Compaq laptop. VERY FRIGGIN SWEET.

JWT

Cool

Later this month I hope to be training in Kali with a new sales guy at work. Once I catch hold of the concepts and theories I will let you guys know what I think and how well it blends into Kenpo. This guy also studied Kenpo and JKD back in the day.
    Be at peace first with your self then you can be at peace with others.

JWT

traitor. you know i work for mike.

We do kenpo karate at the school i train at and do stickfighting and it is called(drum roll please) Kali Escrima and the Phillopeno's(did i spell that right) get full credit.

I don't think any philopinos care where the kenpo guys say they get their stick fighting from.

kenpo master does stick demo

Kali fighter "Hey that looks like something i would do, I demand to be in your ads/website/newsletter and you must bow to a picture of me before and after every class you have."

Kind of ridiculous isn't it? I mean if Kenpo incorperates kali into it's system doesn't it become Kenpo stickfighting? Especially if it is somewhat kenpofied right?
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Jeff Speakman

What's wrong with you guys?!?

Everyone knows that if you want to know anything about Kempo then you must watch, Jeff Speakman's, Perfect Weapon!
    Second place is the first loser!

shaolindynasty,

i don't think any eskrimadors are asking for royalties or anything. i don't even think it's a point of pride. (not for me, anyway.) just curiosity. in the same way you're curious about shaolin history or current events, i'd imagine.

personally, i like making connections. seeming similarities in technique, concept, ideology, etc. that's my rationale for chiming in.

stuart b.