Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fencing

Not sure where I got this link, but I'm assuming it was from Apoweyn somewhere. But, here you go. I'm not overly interested in fencing, but that is a darn good read.

Oh, ttt.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I really didn't know that fencing was that deep.

Suprising.

Just like the division between northern and southern kung fu (the italian and the french).
    Style is only defined by the limitations of a system of fighting and defending. So when in medatation ask yourself not "what are the weaknesses of thine enemy" but rather so what are your own weaknesses

Originally posted by Vash
    Not sure where I got this link, but I'm assuming it was from Apoweyn somewhere. But, here you go. I'm not overly interested in fencing, but that is a darn good read.

Oh, ttt.
    Not me dude.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Another Article of Interest.

fencing

I competed in fencing during high school. I would consider this the first Martial Art I ever studied. I was first attracted to it because it involved weapons. Years later, I started training in a JKD school (not because it was JKD, but because it had kickboxing in it- I didn't even know what JKD was at the time). When I learned what JKD was and that Si Jo Bruce trained in Epee style fencing, I was like,"Cool!" because I could already understand not just the footwork but the PIA strategies that I was ALREADY doing in fencing.
    "Yeah, BABY!"

The Rabbt hole gets deeper. Way deeper.
    It looks like the european world had some decent fighting systems.They were just slow.
    Style is only defined by the limitations of a system of fighting and defending. So when in medatation ask yourself not "what are the weaknesses of thine enemy" but rather so what are your own weaknesses

Except for with the lighter weapons.

savate, several styles of grappling, espada y daga, original pankration... they have several viable MA - it's not restricted to only asia.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

True but europe was the one place I thought wouldn't have as much Ma as another place. Like Africa has MA for some tribes with crucial training. I really didn't know it woulld get that deep in europe having it's own MA that originated there, I think that's serious.

Originally posted by Vash

Oh, ttt.
    I remember seeing this kind of swordplay on an episode of "Highlander". (Man I miss that show!) Also this "walking along the circle" stuff reminds me of the Bagua style seen on "Black Sash". (I miss that show too).

Regards,

John M. Drake

Greetings..

My son and i both fence (foils).. footwork is excellent, but timing, awareness, and range are the most beneficial for me relative to MA/JKD.. the speed of a well handled blade and the difficulty in observing the foil's thin sillouette forces you to read the opponent's body movements to anticipate the attack strategy.. fakes, draws and deceptions are fundamental.. The footwork really enhances your ability to advance or retreat while maintaining optimum balance.. occasionally, we "free-play".. no linear confinement and excruciatingly stinging slashes hone your awareness factor.. it's a good distraction from the normal training routine..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Originally posted by Ironwind
    True but europe was the one place I thought wouldn't have as much Ma as another place. Like Africa has MA for some tribes with crucial training. I really didn't know it woulld get that deep in europe having it's own MA that originated there, I think that's serious.
    There are piles of European "martial arts." In addition to the ones Sevenstar mentioned, you've got different methods for everything from the quarterstaff to wrestling and pugilism. Backhold wrestling. Stickfighting. La canne. The list is pretty daunting.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

I fenced in college and for a couple of years after.

The footwork is the reason to fence. Nothing closes the gap faster than fencing footwork, even when it seems you're too far away.

The second thing is the emphasis on the stop hit (interception). When you take the foil ou of your hands, you CAN do the same thing with your lead hand (or foot), enabling you to score first just about everytime.

The problem with fencing in the US...

...is that it has more mythology than kung fu even. Seriously. I worked professionally in fencing for a half decade - teaching and working as an armourer at American Fencer's Supply. I think when you start earning your living in something like fencing or martial arts, you quickly learn to cut through the bs because frankly, there's not much money in this kind of work and bs can be costly. So you get a very real economical sense of how much bs there is. You spend your time cutting, cutting, cutting, just to make rent money.

But enough about my issues back OT. I think fencing holds a lot of martial artists. First, the sword combat. Fencing uses steel and there's something about the 'sentiment du fer' the feel of the steel, that you just don't get in kendo or CMA. Second, it's the notion that you don't have to be very powerful using a sharp. You just need to be fast and accurate. The sharpness does the work, if you know how to apply it. These points are technical, though, and I think where Lee really shined in his sutdy of fencing was theoretical. Fencing theory (except the aforementioned Spanish school ) has the most elegant theory of combat I have ever studied. It's western - scientific and mathematical - like a computer program. It doesn't always apply to 'real' combat because it exists only in the realm of the specific rules of western sword duelling, but within that realm, it is suupreme. Unfortunately, the only people who really study fencing theory are fencing masters and the occasional theory geeks. Many instructors aren't even certified - unlike MA, there is one nationally recognized governing body for fencing masters so if you aren't certified through that, you aren't 'real'. There are some smaller bodies that do certification and their validity is contestable. Anyway, fencing theory is brilliant, so if you explore fencing, make sure to study the theory.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Re: The problem with fencing in the US...

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Fencing theory (except the aforementioned Spanish school )
    What's wrong with the Spanish school?