Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fencing

actually, it does, if you know how to use it.

Given a single opponent, there's no way they can grapple, smash or step off line once right of way is established unless the swordsman can't hold the line. Step in to grapple or smash and you get stabbed. Step off line and the line moves with you.

The notion of the strip being limited is a bit deceiving. Sure, fencing is fought on a strip, but there is room for side stepping. In fact, it's a classical move. You really don't need that mush side stepping when your using swords because of the line. That's a side effect of having a yard of steel. Even kendo, which is fencing in a ring, is fairly linear at the point of engagement.

The only real criticism you can level against fencing and 'real' combat is that of multiple opponents. But you can level that against grapplers too. Let me tell you from street experience, working with the clinic and such - if it's two against one and that one tries to grapple, that one is done. But then again, that's the duel nature of any combat sport. You can't really do multiple combat safely as a sport (wresling battle royales do not count ). Imagine multiple combatant boxing. Actually, there is a way to do multiple combatant fencing in western fencing and kendo, but it's a bit surreal. That's the nature of the duel - why, by definition, we use the word "duel."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A very good post Gene-it's implications go beyond fencing.

I am replying late because I got dropped and had trouble getting back in because the system would recognize only my obsolete email address for my older user name.

All aok now. Thx. Joy Chaudhuri

Lightbulb

TTT!
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

sorry, fellas,

sorry fells for coming in out of the blue and all late and everything.
    but i saw the topic was about fencing, and my gung fu school started doing a little fencing from a student of Dr. William O'Brien,
    one of the most famous fencers in the world.

Dr. William O'brien was the only one in the world that was ranked "A" in Foil, Eppe, Saber. He was even acknowldeged by the king of Spain for his achievements. not only a master fencer, He was also an assassin for the OSS.

I was lucky to spend the last few months of his life getting to know him. I listened to all of his old war stories, and even to a few times he had to assassinate someone in detail. he was a master of poisons, stuff so deadly you will die literally in seconds.

anyways, Dr. William O'Brien passed away within the last few years, and the fencing world had suffered a loss.

Do any of you know about him, or have any other personal info on him?

sorry for intruding,

sifu-Xhsk
    Fight to win!!!

If anyone wants to have good footwork incorporated into their system, you should check out Ba Gua.
    Last edited by Apostol; 08-03-2004 at 07:23 PM.

SifuX-HSK

I remember the good master although to be honest, I didn't intreact with him that much. I think I may have met him only a handful of times, but never had the honor of taking a lesson from him. I fenced for SJSU, so of course, we knew about Letterman.

BTW, this has nothing to do with that, but someone recently sent me this link for a fencing forum and I thought it should be added to this thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Olympic fencing

USA struck it's first fencing gold in a century! Check out online Olympic Fencing coverage.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Congrats to her! I wish I could've seen the match

Me too!

I've not seen any of the Olympic fencing on TV. Of course, we never see any of the fencing. BTW, China is doing quite well in fecning this year.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That's what I heard. Also saw one of China's lifter's did really well.

More Olympic fencing coverage

"Tonight is the greatest night in the history of American fencing."
    Arkady Burdan, August 17, 2004

The USA has performed quite well at the Olympics this year. Here's another good fencing site
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

fencing???

Okay so i'm having a hard time dragging myself to the local boxing gym.
    It's like 100 to join and 60 a month or something for a place that couldn't hold a candle to BXF and is only open 4 hours a day.
    Not having any cashflow at the moment doesn't help either.

So i joined the work gym tonite. It's 3.80 a week, comes outta my paycheck. It's got really nice facilities, so i was planning on using it for fitness, and the boxing gym for boxing.

Turns out that there's a fencing club at the work gym. Fencing club costs 50 bux for a year or 30 bux for 6 months. The teacher's the wiley old french dude, i think his name's Nouvet or something.

Soooo.... do i become a swash buckler?
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

cool, there was a fencing club at my college. I don't know why i never started up with them, i think it was schedualing problem.

I'm a little jelous i always figured fencing was the only sport i could get to the olympics in. An odd intution to have given i've never actual done any fencing.

"wiley old french dude", one of the few times when it's not so bad to be french
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

SanHeChuan

We went to the same college and have the same feelings about the same fencing club. I remember training with Ian as those guys were wrapping up. Yeah, I dunno why I never trained with 'em either; especially considering my biggest beef with Lubbock, the majority of the time i was there, was that I had no one to train anything with- Ian didn't show up until I was about to graduate.

I keep thinking about how the old bareknuckle boxers were also fencers (james figg) and how boxing was part of the cirriculum at fencing schools. Also, i think the fact that i'm right handed & right lead would be a big benefit.

Think i may give it a shot thursday. I'll be in touch if I do.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Give it a go. Fencing is a great workout, and I found it a lot of fun. Gene Ching is an accomplished fencer, so maybe he could put in a word or two.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.