Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fencing

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    but be sure to post a pic of you in the whole white outfit.

we had a dude show up here in town a couple of years ago and he actually stopped me at a gas station because of the school sign on my truck to give me a flier. no way I could work it in to my schedule either.

How did the move go?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

'accomplished' is way too kind of a word

I fenced in high school and college but was a second placer at best. I did earn a Provost master degree, two in fact (for complicated political reasons) and was captain of the epee squad for our NCAA team, but wound up with one of the weakest competitive records on that team by the end of my lackluster competitive career. All that being said, I enjoyed fencing immensily and would probably still do it if I had the time. It's a great sport and gives you a very unique understanding of swordplay. I'd argue that it's because its one of the only sword sparring games that still use steel (kendo and escrima swap their steel for wood) and there's something called sentiment du fer or 'feel of the steel' that you just can't get anywhere else. Give it a go. It's the only way you'll find our for sure. And I always advocate cross training, even if it's just a nibble, just to see what's there.

There was a hilarious fencing thread on either the ORA or JKD forum - I just did a cursory search for it but couldn't find it. If I do, I'll add it here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Im no provost master, but my riposté is admirable or so I've been told.

Fencing is a wonderful thing that will benefit your overall martial arts practices without a doubt.

Go for it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Didn't make it last night.

having a hard time getting a schedule going here.
    work is a lil longer than i'm used to- we work 9 days every 2 weeks at 9 hours a day for a total of 80 hours. Days go 10 hours if we take an hour lunch. At orientation we've been working with our new offices during lunch; but still working 10 hours.
    I probably shoulda taken another week off before I started working. Basically been coming home from work, passing out, waking up, eat, and then try to go back to bed.
    Still haven't unpacked much.
    Today, my first off-friday, i spent the day paying bills and unpacking stuff.
    Think I'm going to wait until I'm a little more adjusted to my schedule before I start stressing the workouts- which is bad coz i been packin on the weight.
    No fridge at work, so it looks like doing nutrisystem for men is out the window.
    Guess I'll just start eating salads at lunch?
    Gotta do somethin.
    So yeah, get my house in order, focus on the schedule, and then get in there on a regular basis.
    Next week will be better.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

What a deal. Definitely exploit this one.

Fencing

Bruce Lee borrowed fencing concepts to enhance his hand-to-hand skills. What are some of your opinions of fencing?

there are many different types of fencing. but its all good. i like the energy in kendo personally.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

fencing is awesome

bruce would say
    it worked for me but it might not work for you
    true to jkd the perfect form of self defence is different for each person

i think fencing type training should be done with weapons like the straightsword
    people always just seem to do the jian form as opposed to properly training with a weapon
    i think this applies to most cma weaponry
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

cjurakpt Guest
    put a gim / jian in the hands of your average college level epee fencer and he / she would dissassemble the vast majority of "advanced" TCMA gim / jian practitioners...

while western fencing has "lost" a lot of its combat oriented aspects (e.g. - second hand striking, grabbing, grappling, sweeping), the efficiency of line and angle that it developed persists in the sporting aspect (in fact, m taiji sfu has had some of his students go study western fencing in conjunction with their taiji sword studies)

in high school, I was lucky enough to train in saber with one of my father's friends from the "old country", a former Hungarian National / Olympic champion by the name of Laszlo Pongo - the guy was in his 60's at the time, and would whoop the crapola out of guys decades younger than him (me included)
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 10-25-2006 at 04:07 PM.

thats exactly what i want to do

i want to train in fencing and the jian then if i ever teach i can teach to fight with the jian not just dance with it
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

It's interesting to note that more realistic rules are becoming popular in fencing. In my opinion, realistic rule-set weapons sparring would be a great idea for both TCMA and Budo.

i was an avid fencer at one time. it is a lot of fun.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I fenced epee,foil, and saber in High School. I was small and the saber guys were big, and I would go home with welts on my arms and back from them. It's alot of fun. My daughters fenced varsity, until their coach left, and the new coach just made it a bad experience for them. Too bad. Fencing is fun, and if you are good, you can carve out a niche for yourself-if you are in High School. Most Ivy League colleges have a fencing team-which means scholarships.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Fencing is fun, and if you are good, you can carve out a niche for yourself-if you are in High School. Most Ivy League colleges have a fencing team-which means scholarships.
    spot on - and it's not just ivy league either: U Penn for example has a monster fencing program (I think they were Division 1 champs or some such for a good number of years) and aggressively recruits nationwide (learned about that a few years back at a PT seminar they hosted on site - amazing facilities these colleges out in the middle of nowhere have...)

Colleges and high schools are bastions of fencing in the US. There are some actual fencing schools though. Fencing gives you agility, speed, and wrist strength. These attributes definitely compliment TCMA.

cjurakpt,
    This organization is dedicated to historical fencing.
    http://www.ahfi.org/
    This is their tournament rules.
    http://www.ahfi.org/rules/